Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 7:57:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Duke,

If you find someone, I would love to join in if it works out.

I've had my FN A3G out 3-4 times and have only been able to sight it in at Lake City at 100 meters.  I would love to get some tips to take it to the next level.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Too bad I don't know anything about shooting precision rifles at extended ranges or anything......

But I will say look for the Savage 10fp with the Mcmillain stock, Duke... not that plastic flexible POS they usually come with...

Get a set of good competition Irons and learn to use those and stretch out to 700 or 800 yards... good luck with that, finding a range around here to shoot out to 1000 yards is about impossible. learn to read the wind.. Learn to read mirage. the ranging scale in your sight is not there for exclusive use... It is there for another tool to use. In competition shooting you will be engaging at a known range. Instead of using a laser ranger invest in a good spotting scope instead. Breathing and trigger technique is more important than all the toys... when you consistantly hit out to 700-800 with Irons you have made it to rifleman and then you may use the Optics to shoot further. You have seen me shoot a man sized target off hand at 600 yards with my M4... No trick photography or fancy loads... I have not shot my 300 Winchester in a while... I need to load up some specials for it and find a LONG range.........
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Duke I can only offer this . . .

On your death bed, you will achieve total consciousness . . .
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought my first precision rifle back in Jan, and its a 10FP 308 and i luv it. Its better then shooting the Full Autos. I had couple guys come out and show me a little about the trade and in no time im hitting shilloute targets at 1/2 mile (3 out of 5 on a slightly windy day), the guys who were with me had same guns and hittin bowlin pins at that range. I couldnt do that.

get someone who knows just what they are talkin about and it can be made easy to understand, but you still have to be a walkin calculator to figure this stuff out correctly. I just got done shootin 500 yrds just 2 hrs ago, and headin back out now to do some more.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bought my first precision rifle back in Jan, and its a 10FP 308 and i luv it. Its better then shooting the Full Autos. I had couple guys come out and show me a little about the trade and in no time im hitting shilloute targets at 1/2 mile (3 out of 5 on a slightly windy day), the guys who were with me had same guns and hittin bowlin pins at that range. I couldnt do that.

get someone who knows just what they are talkin about and it can be made easy to understand, but you still have to be a walkin calculator to figure this stuff out correctly. I just got done shootin 500 yrds just 2 hrs ago, and headin back out now to do some more.

I admire your skill and somewhat envy the fact that you have a place to shoot from 500 yards away.  I feel really lucky if I can shoot my AR-15 at 100 yards with iron sites and get something that even looks like a group.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Start shooting with the NRA Highpower crowd at Marshall (Bucksnort).
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Start shooting with the NRA Highpower crowd at Marshall (Bucksnort).

+1

I will have my High Power rig at CMMG with some 80gr SMKs.

That 600 yrd plate better run.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I admire your skill and somewhat envy the fact that you have a place to shoot from 500 yards away.  I feel really lucky if I can shoot my AR-15 at 100 yards with iron sites and get something that even looks like a group.

My SKILL, is what i like to call luck, or good advise and knowledgable people being there to show me how. I have a 1/2 mile range but dont always shoot that distance, mostly 500-700 yrds. Dont be fooled, you can do it too if ya try it, and the savage 10FP can be gotten for $460 new and its a hell of a rifle. Im hittin my targets with millitary surplus South African 308 and its got to be the rifle. Its fun stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#10]
If you learn anything between now and the shoot on the 16th, be sure and share the knowhow.  I myself just recently got into the precision game.  I broke it in and the last CMMG shoot.  Shooting the bowling pin by the car was frickin awsome.  I guessed the windage and hold over from the 100 yard sight in.  Flipped the thing over.  I have now clue how I guessed it but I'm hooked.  I hope the 600 yard steel is visible on the 16th.  I plan on shooting long range stuff with both my bolt gun, and my AR all day long.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Hay leave me some room on the deck also. Dang 50 BMG boys are going to have to elbow their own room on the deck. Hope Jeff has had some time to work on the upper level.  

I too knocked around a couple of the bowling pins in the front of the car. Hey by the way, I think I can pick up some more bowling pins. Is anyone interested in a few for their own use? If so, IM me and I will see if I can fill your request.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Duke,

Stop by this weekend or when you have time and you can take a look through my documents on using mil-dot reticles which can also be used on reticles like my Nightforce NP-R2.  See the attached for reference.

http://nightforceoptics.com/doc_center/NF8%20Charts.pdf
http://nightforceoptics.com/doc_center/ReticleBooklet.pdf

I'm sure you already know most or all of this but if you plan on using a mil-dot based reticle you will be able to estimate the distance to the target if you know or can estimate the size of your target.  

I typically use a laser range finder to determine the distance to the target if is not known.  With a known distance and using a mil-dot retical and your ballistics table (that you have built for your gun over the range you will be shooting to determine the drop) you can calculate how many mils your bullet will drop.  If you are using the hold over method you are ready to go or if you are buying a scope with target knobs you can quickly dial in the drop you need.

What kind of scope are you looking at?  Mil-dot type of reticle, illuninated reticle, target knobs?

As I'm sure you can tell I like the Nightforce scopes for their quality, reticle choices, target knobs and illuminated reticle.  Leupold Vari-X III and MK IV are also nice depending on what options you are looking for.  They offer mil-dot for a few $ more.

What rings are you looking at?

The Barger Ordnance and MK 4 rings are nice also.

The new leupold laser range finders are very nice.  They will help you calculate the actual distance the gravity will be working on the bullet by determining the distance from you to the target and the angle you will be shooting in cse there is an elevation change (you are shooting up hill/down hill).

I'm sure I have missed many things and lunch time is over so now it is time to get back to work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Mil-Dot is not terribly difficult...

If I recall correctly the height of the target in meters/yards multiplied by 1000 divided by # of mils read =meters/yards to target.

1 Mil subtends 1 yard at 1000 yards and 1 meter at 1000 meters.... 3.6" at 100 yards.

So knowing this it is pretty quick mathematics... Or use a mildot master...
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
ugh.... why did math have to get involved. i mean i dont want to have to be at the range and feel like i am at work doing calculations.  now i know why im not a high power shooter.  i think the super sniper would be a great choice for the scope bud.

Ronald
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Duke I'd like to see you get this thing together.
I'm wanting a rugged precession gun as well
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Duke,
dont know if these guys can help you or not but it may be worth a shot. G.A. Precision is located in North Kansas City and may know of some customers that can help you out?

http://gaprecision.net/

Sorry I dont know how to make a link hoth.gif
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Duke,
dont know if these guys can help you or not but it may be worth a shot. G.A. Precision is located in North Kansas City and may know of some customers that can help you out?

http://gaprecision.net/

Sorry I dont know how to make a link hot

here is your link made hot
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Get this one Duke!
An instant classic!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Get this one Duke!
An instant classic!
www.remingtonle.com/images/rifles/m40.jpg

ohh...i like that... to bad no left hand.

Ronald
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#21]
We (I say we because almost all shooting stuff involves my Father in some way) picked up an Elite 4200 Scope from Bushnell.  Duke I suggest you check out the factory outlet store for them.  There is one in Lee's Summit off of 50 Hwy I think and another at 87th off of 35 in Lenexa.  They're prices are quite good, I've gotten a Holosight there for 150 and the Elite is $480 I think.  It was with a duplex reticle and is 4-14 50mm objective.  I'm really happy with it other option was a VariX III Leupold and I can't tell the different between the quaility in the two.

I know the Lee's Summit store had a nice tacticle 10X model that was mildot about a month ago but I think they turn over inventory quickly.  I don't know about the quality of all Bushnell stuff but so far I've been pretty happy with them.  Especially at the prices.

Justin W.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#22]
The SuperSniper scopes are nice.  I used a 20x mil-dot on my first 50 BMG bolt gun.

I set up a customer with the following setup about a month ago which seems to match up well with your post

Savage 10FP with HS stock 24" .308 (17915)
Leupold MK4 base for Savage 10 (61025)
Leupold MK4 30mm rings medium steel (61049)
Leupold MK4 4.5-14x40 LR mil-dot (56130)

The total was $1400+.  All he needed was the Harris swivel bipod for another $80+.  If you went with the Supersniper you could save $300.

Those Savages are nice shooters.  I shot one of my customers guns with him using his handloads at 200 yds and shot sub MOA all day.  Competed very well with my FN SPR at a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#24]
If you can look for a Winchester Stealth I in .308. Excellent rifle and can be found new and used for $500 or less. Mine has a leupold mark IV M3A and will hit an iron maiden (20x40) all day at 700 yards (the furthest I can shoot on my land). The reason the fixed Leupolds are more expensive is because of the BDC that they come with. I bought a chrono from Midway that has a ballistic program built in. It will print you a bullet drop chart as far out as you want. This will alleviate the confusion between mils in ranging and MOA in scope adjsutment. Just my .02 worth.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#26]
If you like Gunny Hathcock, how about a M25 White Feather Tactical/Carlos Hathcock model M1A from Springfield Armory?

Linky
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#27]
One Shot One Kill was the book that really got me interested in distance shooting.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Anyway, Gunny Hathcock never used an M14 type anyway, he was a bolt action type.

He also used a scoped Ma Deuce that was modified to fire single shots.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Was it modified or did they just have good trigger control?  I know it did (of course) have a scope mounted on it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#32]
The M2 has  lever on it to fire a single shot but the Cyclic is slow enough that the shooter is capable of squeezing off a single.... Seems the Seabees made the mount if memory serves.... Can't seem to find a copy of that pic with the M2 and scope....
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#34]
If I remember the book correctly Carlos mounted his Unertl scope on the ma duce and toggled the butterfly to get singles.  He picked off a guns/ammo runner on a bicycle with a hell of a long shot, 2500 yds from the top of their hill  The youngster on the bike was down at the other end of the valley.  I just dug into my book and found a picture on page 255 of my paperback book.

That was a hell of a shot but my favorite shot was not a long shot, it was when he finally got the kill shot on the Apache bitch that would torture the marines all night outside the wire on hill 55.

The other shot that stands out in my memory was when he shot at the reflection in the scope of the VC sniper and the shot went through his scope and killed the guy before he got off his shot at Carlos.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Duke,

I have a new FN PBR-XP 20" gun that I can make you a deal on.  

I've got a deal for you.....Build me a couple Krink SBR's and it would be almost free.

Did I say free guns????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top