Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 4:06:57 PM EDT
Since I decided to have my browning sweet sixteen set up for screw in chokes. I love that gun but having a full choke it just don't work so well at skeet.
So does anyone know a good shotgun guy in the StL area who can do a good job for me? I am willing to pay a fair price. (ummm that means don't recommend cousin jimmy with the power drill who has wanted to learn how to work on guns but has absolutely no skill even if he is dirt cheap)
Thanks fellers!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
let me know if you find one.  I asked around the KC area several years back and every smith turned me down.  Said the walls were too this to do it.

Mine is a 50's FN production with blond wood.  if you have a japanese model you can get barrels with the screw ins already installed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah as a auto 5 owner I'd go with different barrels.  Not sure if they're as plentiful for the 16s as they are the twelves.  But I would think you'd have a more valuable/desireable gun with several barrels than one modified, especially if its a generally frowned upon (too thin to modify) modification.  Just my 2 copper.

Justin
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
let me know if you find one.  I asked around the KC area several years back and every smith turned me down.  Said the walls were too this to do it.

Mine is a 50's FN production with blond wood.  if you have a japanese model you can get barrels with the screw ins already installed.

Miranthis, did you try giving Mike Allee at Gunsmithingonly a call?  He does all manner of "fine" work as well as stuff for "rough" guns like my ARs and social scatterguns.

Eric
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been looking for an extra barrel for years now. The best I could do is get a blank and try to find a barrel extension and forward ring and someone put it all together. I love this shotgun but spare barrels for it are more rare than hens teeth!
I really did consider the effect on collectability if I did this but the more I thought about it the more I realize I should go ahead and have it done. It was given to me by a very dear old friend upon his death. I know he would have wanted me to use it and enjoy shooting it whatever that would entail. And so to honor what I believe he would have wanted I am making it more useful instead of locking it up behind glass.

Miranthis, mine is also a mid 50s model, a damn fine gun indeed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Gary
I have a friend that works for a gunsmith. I know they do shotgun work.
I'll call him tomorrow and see if I can find out more.
Eric
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Gary
I have a friend that works for a gunsmith. I know they do shotgun work.
I'll call him tomorrow and see if I can find out more.
Eric

Kewl, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The place is Nu-line Guns at 573-676-5500. He said they do that kind of stuff all the time.
He wasn't sure what they would charge but said to give them a call.
HTH
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
[Miranthis, did you try giving Mike Allee at Gunsmithingonly a call?  He does all manner of "fine" work as well as stuff for "rough" guns like my ARs and social scatterguns.

Eric

Yeah, Mike is the only decent 'smith in town.  He did the tightening work on my SA 1911 (although he let the bore get all nasty and rusted from the cutting lube or something - looked like my BP pistols after use but no cleaing - I fixed it with a bunch of elbow grease, a bore brush and some flitz and passed it off as a minor lapse).  He turned me down flat on the Sweet 16 chokes.  he said it was a thin wall and that while there was a cutter was available he would not do it.  He basically talked me out of it and I ended up buying a cheap Stoeger 12ga. for the sporting clay work I do.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I called and talked to the guys at Nu-line. They said they would do it. All I have to do is mail the barrel out to them (BTW, the harvester store is gone, it was all moved out to the new place)
They want 75.00 to do the barrel work and 24.95 per chole tube to go with it. I think I will be mailing my barrel in a day or so.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Wheres the new place for Nu-Line?  I built an expansion of of the old place 19 years ago!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wheres the new place for Nu-Line?  I built an expansion of of the old place 19 years ago!  

Really? I used to live just a few miles away in St. Charles. Their new location is in Rhineland, Mo. I can't say I have ever heard of the place before but it seems to be a few miles north of Washington,Mo.
I wish they were still in St. Chuck.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Rhineland is out by Hermann just north of the river and a bit west on 94.  My Father's family grew up there and I used to live out that direction.  From St. Charles you can head out 94 it would be an hour drive or so, nice drive on a lazy weekend, especially fun if you like driving on curvy country roads.  

Justin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top