Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 10:57:36 AM EDT
title sounds a tad naughty, don't it?

but in all seriousness, folks--WTF is wrong with Da Loo?
ok, ok--it doesn't surprise me, but still...damn.

www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/F48802BA3AEB9CD386257103001B556B?OpenDocument

ST. LOUIS COUNTY: Prosecutors decline to press gun case

01/27/2006

St. Louis County prosecutors declined Thursday to file any charges against a St. Louis police officer who admitted she lied to investigators and disposed of a gun after it accidentally fired Jan. 20 in a Dairy Queen in south St. Louis County.

The officer resigned from the department the same day.

Police said a handgun inside the 35-year-old woman's purse fired and shot out a window when she dropped the purse. The bullet missed more than a dozen customers and employees.

The woman collected her purse and teenage daughter and fled without ever identifying herself as an off-duty officer. After county officers tracked her down from a license number, she initially denied being there, police said. Then she told investigators she threw the weapon out of her car along Interstate 255 because she feared she was going to get into trouble.

ETA this:

www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/3D6C1BF7256D20148625710000237F40?OpenDocument

Purse goes bang, blows its secret
By Heather Ratcliffe
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
01/23/2006

Black sequins rained down in the Dairy Queen after the explosion.

Some thought a car had backfired in the parking lot. But that wouldn't explain the sequins, or the smoke, or the smell of gunpowder in the south St. Louis County restaurant.

Then everyone's attention turned to a woman in line - the one with a shredded sequined purse on the tile floor near her feet.

"She picked up her purse like it was some kind of disease," explained Shelley White, the store manager on duty.
Advertisement

"I ain't got no gun," was the only thing the stranger told the crowd in the restaurant before gathering her purse and teenage daughter from a nearby booth and running out of the place about 1 p.m. Friday.

But she did have a gun, investigators said, apparently a low-quality one that discharged by accident when she dropped her purse.

She had a secret too, one that she might have kept had White not rushed to the window and called out the license number for a customer to jot down. The fleeing woman was an off-duty St. Louis police officer.

The bullet blew a hole in a window and came to a safe landing in front of a doorway. A fragment struck a van outside. But no one was injured.

"I don't know how that bullet didn't kill anyone," said White, whose family owns the franchise. "I looked at the people outside, and they were just standing there with their mouths hanging open."

St. Louis County police tracked down the city officer, who they said first denied even being at the restaurant, in the 4300 block of Telegraph Road. Then she told police that she had fled because she thought she was under fire. Finally she confessed to the accident, police said.

The officer, whose name was not released pending consideration of charges against her, eventually told police that she had thrown the weapon out her car window along Interstate 255 because she was afraid she was going to be in trouble.

County officers spent hours scouring the area along the westbound lanes in the dark and rain Friday, looking for the weapon; they never found it.

The woman resigned from the force Friday after the St. Louis police internal affairs unit opened an investigation. She had been on the department for three years.

Said White, "I just can't believe she's a police officer."

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Her training and common sense failed her.  What a pity, but also a relief...  i am not sure i would want her to be my representative "to protect and serve".
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That DQ is RIGHT near my house ... I drive by it on the way to work everyday ... Never noticed any broken glass in it though.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It happened in StL, where else does a city arm such incompetent folks and send them out to enforce laws they don't understand.
What sucks is I just got away from north StL and all the fun times there. Now this ding bat goes off and sends a random shot out not very far from where I work now!
ETA, anyone want a new pistol and have some spare time on their hands? Start searching the shoulder of I-255 on the south side....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
anyone want a new pistol and have some spare time on their hands? Start searching the shoulder of I-255 on the south side....

$20 says it was hot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It happened in StL, where else does a city arm such incompetent folks and send them out to enforce laws they don't understand.

Not a huge surprise!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
that dept. has a list of approved off-duty guns.One of the requirements is a 'drop safety'.But, these have a little bit of bulk.Also only allow 9mm.I'm betting she had a cheap,little no-safety gun that fit in her tiny purse......Too cheap  to buy the proper stuff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll have to ask my buddy on the force about this one.   If it wasn't so late, I'd call him up now and give him some shit about it.

He was telling me just a couple of weeks ago about how the ACLU  was handing out video cameras out in certain neighborhoods to the residents just for the purpose of catching LEO violating someone's rights.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
anyone want a new pistol and have some spare time on their hands? Start searching the shoulder of I-255 on the south side....

$20 says it was hot.

So you're saying it'd make the perfect drop piece?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Some dumbshit retired LEO over in Overland Park KS (where there is no CCW, except for LEO...rrr...) had a ND while in Oak Park mall not too long ago.  Snub 38, in his pocket, dropped it while getting out his wallet and it fired.  But regular people aren't good enough to carry guns, only cops, b/c they are better trained...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I am no fan of the ACLU, but I think they are on to something with the video cameras. Seems that the police are getting worse and worse all of the time. Need to keep them accountable and I suppose a video camera is the first step.

I agree! sounds like this case of the womans purse gun and the officer's pocket gun are both a drop gun. Ya just never know when you might need to be able to protect yourself. Both yourself with a gun and yourself by planting a gun on someone else.  

I like to be able to remain living a lie. I would like to think that these two cases are of the small percentage of dumb or bad cops. Please do not burst my bubble for thinking like this and tell me it is the small percentage of cops that know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Well geez, Duke.  You can't shoot 'em.  You can't beat 'em.  And now you can't 'taze 'em.  What's a guy to do?  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Duke, I am one of the first who says that you should not fight the cops. Obey and you wont get hurt. Well  I don't believe the guy who was arrested in what was it? Delwood this past week deserved to be punched and stomped like I saw on the video that the news helicopter taped.  Some of these cops get so pumped up, that they do not show any restraint.  Sorry just because you wear a badge and have the blessings to carry a weapon. Does not add up to flat out animial agression. One of these days one office is going to apply a head lock and another is going to go and grab a leg or arm and twist in such a manner that they are going to break a neck. When you have 4 guys with their adrienaline pumping and not working together. Then the dumb perp who gave the cops a merry chase and did not kill anyone before or during the chase is going to get killed. I mean, lets just draw and quarter the guy. Because that is just what 4 cops are trying to do, pulling in different directions.

Now, I am not a bleeding heart liberial or a hanky stomper (thank you Chris Ross for that one). But then too, I do not see any liceence for  4 cops to behave like thugs.  There is a line, and I believe these 4 stepped way over. No they did not tippy toe over the line, they leaped over the line.

And it always has been and will always be that the few will tarnish the many.  

Slight change of subject. Was watching one of those Cops or Highway Patrol shows. Guy was arrested for a concealed Knife, can of mace and concealed gun (no permit if they even have them in Mass.) But they really got him on Illegal possiesion of ammo. Get that crap, "Illegal possesion of  AMMO"..

Watch your 6 lads
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Talked to my buddy on the force yesterday.  He said this former officer was in his academy class.

From what he was telling me, she had no business being a cop in the first place.  Plus when the police showed up to her house to confront her, there were two well known crack heads at her house and both were also armed.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top