Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 3:31:24 PM EDT
I have converted a guy at my work, into a handgun shooter. He already owns multiple rifles, and is a pretty good-guy.

When I explained the process to purchase a handgun (PTA), he balked. He says he may have an issue. Apparently last year, he defaulted on an auto loan, and the truck was repo'ed. He was served a summons, and was sued for the balance of the loan. He did not go to Court for the case, as he was sure he would lose anyway. He recieved a certified letter, stating the judgment against him, and was ordered to pay x-dollars to the plaintiff.

He is now worried his failure to appear will cause him a problem (warrant, I assume he is worried about?).

IANAL, but I told him I didn't think so, as it was a civil matter, not criminal. I showed him case.net, and he is going to look up his case # on it, but is still apprehensive. I offered to have a friend (police) run his name, but he declined.

Does a civil matter affect his ability to obtain a PTA? What about later if he decides to CCW, and files the application; will it hinder it any?

Thanks in advance, and I hope he gets hooked! I need someone closer to shoot with, LOL!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I think he should be oksince the case has ben resolved but I ain't no lawyer.
Duke? you out there?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Duke would have a better idea, as he's an actual layer and I've only stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, but I would assume if he paid the summary judgement, then there likely won't be any outstanding warrant.  I would also guess that mearly a failure to appear for a civil case (especially one that was resolved through a summary judgement which was paid) won't work against him.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I think only a felony or a domestic violence charge, would effect any thing.......but im no expert.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I told him I thought he'd be okay as well. AFAIK, as long as it wasn't a felony, domestic, or he wasn't declared mentally incompetent, he should be okay. Those would be the only disqualifying judgements I can think of. He is still apprehensive to go try to get his PTA .

I think I have him convinced to call a lawyer (finally!). I really hope he follows thru on this, as he is a nice guy to have on our side!

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top