Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 9:53:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
So what exactly is this????......................
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:37:20 AM EDT
[#2]

SB 731 says:
Eliminates the requirement that one must obtain a concealable firearm permit before acquiring a handgun

So, you don't need to get (obtain) a permit to acquire (concealable firearm permit) before you buy (acquire) a handgun (noisemaker). Woot. We need a hometown fireteam mission to our state senators and then if it makes it to the house.... the same.
;-)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Hand together in front of face, eyes looking to the sky .... "Please GOD, make this happen."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#4]
So when do we need to hit up our senators?  When does this bill get close to a vote?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in, let me know when to fire up the printer and buy stamps.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

SB 731 says:
Eliminates the requirement that one must obtain a concealable firearm permit before acquiring a handgun

So, you don't need to get (obtain) a permit to acquire (concealable firearm permit) before you buy (acquire) a handgun (noisemaker). Woot. We need a hometown fireteam mission to our state senators and then if it makes it to the house.... the same.

;-)

I didn't know that you had to obtain a concealable firearm permit before acquiring a handgun?   Are you sure they aren't referring to obtaining a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun"?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I didn't know that you had to obtain a concealable firearm permit before acquiring a handgun?   Are you sure they aren't referring to obtaining a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun"?

Go read the text of the current law.  There is no Handgun Permit law.  It has always been a "permit to aquire a concealable firearm".  They then define a "concealable" firearm as one with a barrel shorter than 16".  

This would mean that you need a permit not only for a handgun, but also for a SBR, SBS, or a machinegun with a short barrel.  

The way I read this, you could buy a handgun receiver with no permit, and later install a slide and barrel.  After all, while a receiver may be considered a "firearm" by federal definition, it does not meet the state def. of a "concealable" firearm because it has no barrel. (keep in mind, this is just my opinion, and I am not a lawyer).
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#8]
oh i see, so no visit to the Sheriffs office??? so what you buy, do the backround and then wait a few days before you pick up the toy???
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
oh i see, so no visit to the Sheriffs office??? so what you buy, do the backround and then wait a few days before you pick up the toy???

That sounds about right.  The purchase permit was created before the NICS instant background check and Brady Bill's mandatory waiting period were put in place (I think it was Nov. 30 1998).  So with NICS and Federal waiting period, MO purchase permit is an unnecessary redundancy.  But of course it brings money to the Sheriff's Office.  So it may be hard to make it go away.  The question is .... does the Federal waiting period also applies to private sales?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The question is .... does the Federal waiting period also applies to private sales?

There is no Fed. waiting period.  That went away with instant checks.  It's been like this for years.  In some states that already had an instant check in place, there was never any waiting period.

And there is no MO waiting period either.  Some counties won't issue the "permit to acquire" for a week making it a defacto waiting period, but there is nothing in the state law about an actual "waiting period".  OTOH, some counties hand out the permit while you wait.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The question is .... does the Federal waiting period also applies to private sales?

There is no Fed. waiting period.  That went away with instant checks.  It's been like this for years.  In some states that already had an instant check in place, there was never any waiting period.

And there is no MO waiting period either.  Some counties won't issue the "permit to acquire" for a week making it a defacto waiting period, but there is nothing in the state law about an actual "waiting period".  OTOH, some counties hand out the permit while you wait.  

Thanks for straightening me out.  Learning something new everyday.  Actually, that instant check simplifies things quiite a bit, doesnt it?  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
it has to. so is this for real or just some bull???
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
it has to. so is this for real or just some bull???

It's not bull in the sense that a senator has pre-filed this bill. Whether it makes it any farther than that is impossible to know. It's got to get assigned to a committee and then brought up for debate there. Assuming it gets some traction in the Senate committee then the full Senate must vote on it. Assuming that happens then a similar bill must make it through the House of Representatives. Differences between the two bills have to be ironed out in conference committee. In short, a lot has to happen between Jan 3 and the middle of May for this to become reality. It could very well be just some bull if all of that doesn't happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top