Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 3:56:27 AM EDT
Ok, I have 2 handguns I am going to try and sell or trade for another handgun.

If I sell what do I need to receive from the buyer in order to make everything legit?  Do I have to forward any paperwork on to the county?

Will I do better to sell than to trade at local shop?

Does it matter where the buyer is from?  So if I sell over the EE what do I need before I make the transaction?

Thanks for all the help  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:03:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If in Missouri, you will need to get permit for the handgun you are buying, and so will the buyer of your handguns. Even if it is a private sale.

You will then need to fill out the permit, and send it back to the county that issued the permit. I also wouldn't ship it unless to a dealer.

If out of state, you will need to ship to an FFL, and it wouldn't hurt to have a copy of the FFL in hand (some state that you can simply check the FFL on the ATF's EZ-Check Site, but I like to play it safe).

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If in Missouri, you will need to get permit for the handgun you are buying, and so will the buyer of your handguns. Even if it is a private sale.

You will then need to fill out the permit, and send it back to the county that issued the permit. I also wouldn't ship it unless to a dealer.

If out of state, you will need to ship to an FFL, and it wouldn't hurt to have a copy of the FFL in hand (some state that you can simply check the FFL on the ATF's EZ-Check Site, but I like to play it safe).

Hope that helps.

Just don't call it "registration".
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope that helps.

Just don't call it "registration".

Maybe the Sheriffs and/or the politicians doesn't like that term, but it is in fact "registration". I'll guarantee the Sheriff of your county will know exactly what handguns you've bought!!! I don't know how far this will get, but it sure looks like something we should call our Reps about.
SB731

Rick
SGF, Mo.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW, do not sell both of them to the same person on the same day. I am not for sure if it would apply here but dealers have to report any same day multiple handgun purchases to the ATF on a special form.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't worry aout selling both of them on the same day.  Only dealers are required to forward multiple purchase reports DIRECTLY TO the ATF national tracing center.  This applies if a dealer sells you 2 or more handguns in 5 business days not just on the same day.  Remember he sends them DIRECTLY TO the ATF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top