Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2005 8:06:49 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone knew what the law is in Missouri for hunting with a semi-auto rifle. How many rounds can you have in the mag? Do I have to buy a small 5 or 10 round mag for my AR15 ....or can I use a 20rnd mag with only 5 or 10 rounds in it?

Is the .223 legal to deer hunt with?  I though as long it was a centerfire round it was OK.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Try thiswww.conservation.state.mo.us/hunt/deer/deertuk/five.htm

IIRC the caliber had to larger than .24, but I can't locate that in their rules. Call you local consrvetion agent or office if you can't find the answer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The rules concerning allowed cartridges for deer hunting are, to say the least, pretty laid back--as in ZERO caliber/bullet weight/bullet speed restrictions.  According to the letter of the law, I can try to bag a deer with a .25 ACP!

From the previously quoted link from JPman7:

Methods allowed:
centerfire pistol, revolver or rifle using expanding-type bullets
shotgun with slugs only
muzzleloader
archerycrossbow

Methods prohibited (in use or in possession):
self-loading firearms with capacity of more than 11 cartridges in magazine and chamber combined
ammunition propelling more than one projectile at a single discharge (such as buckshot)
full hard metal case projectiles
fully automatic firearms
any sighting device that casts a beam of light on the game

So as long as you don't use FMJ bullets, use a 10-round magazine and leave the class III toys at home, you're good to go!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Ilanero has got it right. I have been using my AR to take deer for a few years now.
... For your review of evidence I present the following photos...

As for the ten round magazine. I took a 20rd USGI mag and disassembled it, made a wooden block that fit inside the magazine spring then by trial and error cut it to length so when the mag was reassembled it would only hold ten rounds. Same idea as the plastic/wood dowel they use inside a pump shotgun to limit it to three rounds for shootin' birdies....
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
i remember those Pics, the one of CBell wasnt to far from the shop.

you guys look like you had fun.

some times i miss hunting.

Ronald.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
So what do you guys use, bullet-wise?
I'm thinking that those Federal 64gr Powerpoints should do the trick in a 1x9 barrel, but it's mighty hard to find hunting ammo around here that isn't that frangible varmint stuff.  
Guess I'll just have to hunt for it in the internet, eh?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So what do you guys use, bullet-wise?
I'm thinking that those Federal 64gr Powerpoints should do the trick in a 1x9 barrel, but it's mighty hard to find hunting ammo around here that isn't that frangible varmint stuff.  
Guess I'll just have to hunt for it in the internet, eh?

I used to use the powerpoints but I found the 65gr gamekings to be more accurate and work just as well. Oh yeah, I roll my own ammo so I can shoot whatever I want. If you want to try some out I am sure I can spare rounds or so. Let me know.

Duke, I thought Shamus used his AK, did he switch over away from the dark side?

Oops, forgot to add this year I am going to the 55gr gamekings, I am tired of lugging that A2 out in the woods so this year my primary rifle will be my SP1, three pounds lighter but it has a 1/12 twist so I am limiting myself to the lighter rounds.
Back up gun will be a .44 mag Ruger redhawk, funny, my back up gun has more muzzle energy than my primary....
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#10]
i think i'm finally going deer hunting in MO
I feel like taking a C&R and seeing how that does
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#11]
10 rounds is the limit for deer season, and using a higher capacity mag and only loading 10 will get you the same fine as if you were loading up 30.  Take a 20rounder and put legos in it to block it to 10 rounds.

On the C&R stuff watch the ammo, I had a friend get in trouble for using a nagant with FMJ ammo.  Make sure you have HP or SP ammo at least.  I think the concern with FMJ is overpenetration.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
10 rounds is the limit for deer season, and using a higher capacity mag and only loading 10 will get you the same fine as if you were loading up 30.  Take a 20rounder and put legos in it to block it to 10 rounds.

On the C&R stuff watch the ammo, I had a friend get in trouble for using a nagant with FMJ ammo.  Make sure you have HP or SP ammo at least.  I think the concern with FMJ is overpenetration.

A friend of mine had a 20rd mag with a block in it so it would only take 10rds for hunting and the C/A still confiscated it from him saying it could still be readily converted back to a Hi -Cap mag , if you dont want to lose a Good 20rd mag you better get a Factory 10rd mag to use , my wife and son have been using AR15's for the last 4 years to take deer , using 55 and 60 gr, soft point bullets, none have run more than 100yards after being hit ..    

I never herd of anyone using Lego's for a mag block , have you every tryed shaking it with all the Lego's in it to see if you could Rattle up a Big Horny Buck  , making it a Dual purpose hunting accessory....
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i think i'm finally going deer hunting in MO
I feel like taking a C&R and seeing how that does

I have hunted for years with C&Rs. If you need hunting ammo Grafs sells hunting ammo for a lot of the obscure calibers. I usually take my Enfield no 4 mk 1 with the adjustable rear sight and have had really good luck with it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Legos work real well, you just have to get the right ones that will ride inside the spring, and it helps to taper the top block with some sandpaper or a file.  As far as getting one confiscated because it was readily convertable is BS, almost anyone hunting birds with a pump gun has a blocked mag tube.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't even think of the soft point. damn but thanks for reminding me
maybe I'll just stick with the 300Win mag.
unless someone knows a place with 8mm or 7.5 Swiss soft point thats somewhat cheap
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
unless someone knows a place with 8mm or 7.5 Swiss soft point thats somewhat cheap

www.grafs.com
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Trent check your email
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

If you're in SW MO, Ozark Gun Traders & Pawn (in the town of Ozark in Christian county) carries Norma and Hornady hunting ammo for the 7.5 Swiss, although I  don't know if you're going to find it cheap.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Legos work real well, you just have to get the right ones that will ride inside the spring, and it helps to taper the top block with some sandpaper or a file.  As far as getting one confiscated because it was readily convertable is BS, almost anyone hunting birds with a pump gun has a blocked mag tube.  

I told my friend the same thing, but the C/A still wouldn't give it back , maybe he was having a Bad Day..

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought it use to be any center fire cartridge over a .22, so a .223 would be ok.  

I called the Missouri Department of Conservation in Jefferson City last year and asked about using a block and I was told anything placed inside to block the number of round to 10 or less is legal.   I used an old mag-lite body in a FAL mag, and it fit in the spring loop at the bottom and held it in place ( I ended up taking my scoped CETME w/ a 5 round mag)

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I told my friend the same thing, but the C/A still wouldn't give it back , maybe he was having a Bad Day..

A "Bad Day" is when the C/A gets fired after you sue the Conservation Dept. for false arrest and illegal seizure of personal property under the Missouri codification of the 4th amendment.  Lets face it, if he had passed the MO Highway Patrol entry test he wouldn't have been a C/A in the first place, so now he has to go back to his old job at Sonic since there's nothing else out there for him.

...and that's how Duke Nukem talks shit.  Heh.

hey, Hey, HEY!  Some of us start out wanting to deal with game laws instead of  vehicle traffic !

But still, melikes the way you talk shit.  How much to retain you for the duration of the firearms season?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top