Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 4:38:43 PM EDT
Hiro, I've been reading a biography of Saigo Takamori, the so-called "Last Samurai" and leader of the Satsuma rebellion in the late 1800s.  Its a fascinating story and he is a striking historic figure.  I find much to admire in him, at least in terms of how this book presents him.  I wanted to ask you, how is Saigo viewed in Japan today?  What does the current generation of Japanese people think of him, and is he considered an important figure in Japan's history today?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF???
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you mean WTF?  I don't have the man's phone number, figured I'd just post up and ask him here.  What's wrong with that?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:16:10 AM EDT
[#4]
im not Hiro, but im taging for his answer and putting in a liitle of my own.

from some of the stuff i have seen and read about its miked. i  would like Hiro to correct me if im wrong. i thought in certan circles all thanks Samyrai were still thought highly of.

im trying to remember what program that National Geograffic did on the subject it was very well done and invormitive.

i will have to find some of my books and point you to were i saw that, but i would love to havw Hiro thoughts. you know how i am about the Samurai, i think allot of the traits have been carried over to the new war zone the bussiness world, thats why were lossing. were soft.

Bud, i know i saw somewere were they had a statue of him, im trying to think of were.

Ronald
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#5]
The most famous statue of him is in Ueno Park in Tokyo.  It depicts him at peace, walking his hunting dog.

At more than 6 feet tall and 240 pounds, he would be a large man even by contemporary standards, but in Japan in the 1870s he was a man of great stature both figuratively and literally.

There is another statue of him in the central park of his home town of Kagoshima, depicting him in military dress.  I can't Google a decent shot of that one for some reason.

And finally, there is a statue of him in traditional dress with his sword at the cave where he is said to have committed ritual suicide after the last battle against the Meji.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello Duke ,Well  I dont know much about him(Saigo Takamori) . I think He was defeated by the [KANGUN] Imperial Japanese Army in 1800s..  

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I haven't seen Hiro in awhile, but I'm sure he's lurking about.

Jeff

Hello CMMG Hope to see you  all very soon
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The most famous statue of him is in Ueno Park in Tokyo.  It depicts him at peace, walking his hunting dog.

www.arrakeen.ch/asia97/089%20%20Tokyo%20-%20Ueno%20%20%20Saigo%20Takamori%20statue.JPG

At more than 6 feet tall and 240 pounds, he would be a large man even by contemporary standards, but in Japan in the 1870s he was a man of great stature both figuratively and literally.

There is another statue of him in the central park of his home town of Kagoshima, depicting him in military dress.  I can't Google a decent shot of that one for some reason.

www.japan-guide.com/g4/4603_01.jpg

And finally, there is a statue of him in traditional dress with his sword at the cave where he is said to have committed ritual suicide after the last battle against the Meji.

www.7is7.com/otto/travel/photos/20041030/6987_kagoshima_saigotakamori.jpg

Im going back to Japan real soon!! Im going to visit Ueno, also.  I'll take some pictures for you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hiro good to see you, i miss you at the shoots. i love seeing your retro stuff.

Ronald
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Is this the guy that the The Last Samurai movie is based on?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#11]
yes
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Off topic, but I have a scroll with some Japanese caligraphy on it that I would love to have translated.  I don't even know if I have it hanging upside down or not  Any help?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Off topic, but I have a scroll with some Japanese caligraphy on it that I would love to have translated.  I don't even know if I have it hanging upside down or not  Any help?

I'll help you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top