Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 6:37:45 PM EDT
....buy me an ar15!  Hey, a guy can dream cant he?  

(Feel free to stop reading at any point...its Friday night and I’m really bored)

I’m thinking about going to the shoot on the 10th and if I do go, I’m thinking about purchasing my first AR.  I would feel kinda silly showing up with just my Glock.  I applied for a co-op job a Boeing that starts on the 9th and if I get the job I'll defiantly get one.  I keep going back and forth on what to do if I don’t get the job.  

My own words have come back to haunt me.  I have been trying to convince my parents, (mom mostly) to get a ccw.  In short her excuse was that they were too expensive right now.  I ask her what all of you are probably thinking....how much is you life worth.  That usually ends the conversation.  

Well today I was whining about not being able to get one because I’m broke, when in reality I have some investments saved up but I pretend like its not even there.  An AR falls under the basic necessities for life: food, water, clothing, shelter......and a rifle to protect those.  Well she realized that and gave me a dose of my own medicine.  So now I feel as if I’m obligated to get one.

Plan A:  Wuss out and don’t go to the shoot.

Plan B:  Go to the shoot and bring the Glock and the .22s and feel like a midget at a sumo wrestler convention

Plan C:  Go to the shoot and buy a CMMG MOD4 14.7 w/permanent a2 hider.

If I go with plan C would I be pooh-poohed upon if I got a vertical grip and changed the pistol grip?  I really don’t like it when people show up to car shows in a new car and the only thing they have done is put chrome rims on it and then sit in front of it like they are the coolest thing on earth.  I think this might be the same kinda thing so I guess I just answered my own question.  I would probably get a case for it though.

I think I’m gonna go play Battlefield 2 now.  If you made it this far, you must be really, really bored.

ETA: AeroE dragged me along last year which is how I got started into this whole drooling over ARs thing.  Thanks AeroE!  Guns are fun! WEEEEEEE!

Matt

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
C all the way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Sell the Vette - jeez, you always have to draw a picture for these guys.

[Or better, sell some of your Dad's model stuff - it will be a long time til he misses any.]

Next week I'll work on him a little; I've noticed he breaks down with basic arm twisting, especially after I make him feel cheap, uncaring, and generally a bad father.

I'm still debating about whether to go next weekend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, i will buy ya 2 just for the effort. Nice try though. Go with C
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
  My vote is both B and C. Show up with the pistol, and .22 (cheap shootin) and then buy the rifle.

Quoted:
  I would feel kinda silly showing up with just my Glock.  

WHY ? ?   Better to show up with a pistol than empty handed. (and thats better than NOT showing up at all)

Even without a weapon to bring, many people are willing to allow use of their weapons. Bring your own ammo and ask. I will have a CZ-27 pistol(.32acp), 2 AK's, a sweet CETME, a 12ga or 2, (dare I say)mini-14, .243 bolt rifle, and a new CMMG XM-177 clone. If you need something to shoot some,  bring ammo (surplus is fine) and come find me there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The first shoot i went to i had nada with me, well there was a female but she doesnt really count lol. I cant even remember how many folks offered to let me shoot there toys. Hell, i willset up next to Rteinb and you are welcome to shoot any o my toys if you would like. I opt for plan C as well. Hell, the second time i went out there i ended up spendin dang near all my money lol, but it was worth it to be able to bring it to the next shoot. buy it and you will never regret it.

Not to hijack or anything, but.... Rob, you been holding otu on me bro, an XM177 clone?!?!?!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Not holding out,  Early birthday present. got it Wed. Now to save for optics... thinking EoTech
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry about how your gun is set up...just get one with an A3 upper and you can upgrade as you have funds available.  You can get started with an A3 with rear backup sights, and add the EOTECH at the next shoot.  

You should be able to check out everyone else’s AR's and determine which setup works best for you.  You can add the accessories over the next few months and have it the way you want it by Christmas.

The first step is making it to the shoot and stopping in the shop at CMMG.  

Shooting on the move while making mag changes is a major change from standing in one place at the range.  I enjoy getting the opportunity to practice tactical shooting once a month when CMMG invites us out again.  $15 including lunch is bargain for all that you learn from the guys and practice.

Hope to see you there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Mike

You can always bring the carbines; heck maybe you should run the course with a M1 under each arm - I don't think eve Duke Nukem has tried that one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mike

You can always bring the carbines; heck maybe you should run the course with a M1 under each arm - I don't think eve Duke Nukem has tried that one.

I tried practicing it at home, but couldn't figure out a way to reload...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Matthew10_28 don't worry Gary will run with an 1730's rope hand cannon, a 1600's crossbow or a M1 Garand Grenade Launcher...so just show up and enjoy the shoot.  Hook up with Rstienb or myself and have a great time (we will be next to AFSOC).  I will trade you some Glock mags for several FAL, G3, Franchi SPAS-12  or Ak mags to run the COF.

See you all at CMMG!

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mike

I tried practicing it at home, but couldn't figure out a way to reload...

Reload, Schmeload! CMAGS! Just use two M-16s! Just ask for a reload waiver!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
humm, nothing wrong with a glock and a 22, i mean its not like we havent had people run the course with 8mm vz24 and bayo, m1 carbine,  you know who knows.

some of us like our ar's simple, i think Duke and CMMG and Mouse gun can vouge for me on this, Duke got a eotech beacuse im tired of optics. i think there is a movemnt around that we need triked out guns. and the basics get forgotn. i shoot better with A1 sites, sounds craxy i do.  i also love my Fal, no scope on that, my M4 is triked out the way i like it, but i much prefer my commando.  i removed my a3 and changed it back to a a2 on my Dissy.

my favorite weaopn i own is my Ar180. if i could get mags for it and parts i would probaly only shoot it.

i like thanks simple. i mean heck i was thinking of running the course with a..... AK

ohh the humanity.

the main thang is make it.

Ronald
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't worry about how your gun is set up...just get one with an A3 upper and you can upgrade as you have funds available.  You can get started with an A3 with rear backup sights, and add the EOTECH at the next shoot.  

whats the difference between a2 and a3...got pics?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#14]
a A2 is the standard "Carry Handle" aka non flat top.

A3 is a flat top.

A1 is old school no evelation on rear sight.

A1 is my favorite.

Ronald
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Matthew10_28 don't worry Gary will run with an 1730's rope hand cannon, a 1600's crossbow or a M1 Garand Grenade Launcher...so just show up and enjoy the shoot.  Hook up with Rstienb or myself and have a great time (we will be next to AFSOC).  I will trade you some Glock mags for several FAL, G3, Franchi SPAS-12  or Ak mags to run the COF.

See you all at CMMG!

Ya know, I have considered running with a muzzle loader but I figured taking 20 minutes to do a run would piss a lot of folk off.
I would like to run it carrying about four black powder revolvers, that would be fun!

Matthew, just show up with what you have, there are always plenty of folk more than happy to let you try out their favorite toys especially if you show up with the ammo to run through it.
Unfortunately I won't be able to make this shoot but I will cover that in another thread.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#16]
whats a "t" marked upper?

ETA:  I know which part the upper is....what in the world is t marked?  And is it picky on ammo?  What about breaking it in?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#17]
bump for new questions   ^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#18]
A "T MARKED" upper is a Flat top upper with registration marks on the Picatinny rail... Numbers T1-T2-T3 etc... this is for optics repeatability of Zero so that if you remove an optic you can put it back on the same spot each time.
Is an AR picky on Ammo? Some are some aren't use quality ammo and there should be no problem
Break in? I broke in my last upper build, with a borrowed Full Auto Lower and two Beta C-Mags...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Mike

remember how it was giving you/us a lot of fte last time....having half the extractor claw missing will generally do that.  I swapped um so its running good....I just lost the extractor spring and plunger in the process of puttin the bad one in the old bolt.  BOING...across the basement it went.  Thats ok since I dont shoot the older one anyway.  I still need to get parts though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top