Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2005 2:02:41 PM EDT
I just dont get these poeple. When we had the old sheriff in  office Purchase permits usally only took a couple of days. hell, i cant remember ever having to wait longer than three at the most. Now, with this new sheriff they make you wait the full 7 days to get the d#$ thing. I put in my paperwork last saturday morning, call today and they act like i am asking for their first born or something. there reply to me was after asking about it, " you do know we have 7 days dont you?". JESUS H CHRIST, does that mean you have to use all 7 of them!!!! I just dont get it?!?!?!? What the hell can possibly take seven friggin days for them to do?!?! I had planned on picking up a new springfeild operator this saturday when i pick up my PSS, guess that plan is out the window now, thanks for nothing BCSD!! Now i am going to have to make another trip next week up to macon to pick it up!!! Anyway, rant over.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
i feel your pain, Callaway is the same way. i dont know why the started it.
i really do. i went tuesday and filled out for my 2 that i need. i dont plan on picking them up till the 1st. i figuer a extra week.

Ronald
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, that sucks, all of the counties down here, you get them while you wait.  (SE Missouri)
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Christian county makes you wait around 10 minutes.  Greene does the full week, unless you've already filled one out within the month.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just dont get these poeple. When we had the old sheriff in  office Purchase permits usally only took a couple of days. hell, i cant remember ever having to wait longer than three at the most. Now, with this new sheriff they make you wait the full 7 days to get the d#$ thing. I put in my paperwork last saturday morning, call today and they act like i am asking for their first born or something. there reply to me was after asking about it, " you do know we have 7 days dont you?". JESUS H CHRIST, does that mean you have to use all 7 of them!!!! I just dont get it?!?!?!? What the hell can possibly take seven friggin days for them to do?!?! I had planned on picking up a new springfeild operator this saturday when i pick up my PSS, guess that plan is out the window now, thanks for nothing BCSD!! Now i am going to have to make another trip next week up to macon to pick it up!!! Anyway, rant over.

Last time I got one I was told they only looked at them one day a week.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 1:23:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Easy guys, I work there.

However, I dont have anything to do with the permits and dont know why they take so long.  A lot of permits come in everyday and I'm positive the department has a lot of more important stuff to sign like my pay checks....  But seriously give it time, new sheriff means changes in policy, and changes take time.  Hopefully this will get better.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Johnson county issues permits the same day.

And the sheriff himself has told me that he will start writing me "love letters" as soon as I ask him for them.  My wife even knows about it!  LOL
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#7]
love letters, ya i would say the would be love letters, at least fun leatters!

you lucky dog.

Ronald
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#8]
That's the one thing I hate about Missouri.  Why should I have to ask ANYONE's permission to buy a pistol?  I'm from Oklahoma and we didn't do this crap.  That's why I refuse to buy a pistol here.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#9]
It was much nicer when I lived in Jefferson County.  The whole process would take around 10 minutes.  Now that I'm in St. Louis County, it's much more of a hassle.  I can go and apply at the local substation.  Then I wait a week for them to mail me a card letting me know that I can now go pick up the permit.  I then have to go downtown during business hours (which usually means getting off work early) to pick it up.  It's a bit of a hassle.  

I tend to agree with redleg13a.  Any permit system is a bunch of crap.  I believe this was instituted long before the federal NICS check was mandated.  With that in place, the local permit becomes obselete (except for gunowner registration - but that's a whole other subject).  

Fortunately, I only live in MO part of the year.  I try to do most of my pistol purchases while I live in a "free" state.  I walk in, say "give me that one", pay, NICS check, and leave with my stuff.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It was much nicer when I lived in Jefferson County.  The whole process would take around 10 minutes.  Now that I'm in St. Louis County, it's much more of a hassle.  I can go and apply at the local substation.  Then I wait a week for them to mail me a card letting me know that I can now go pick up the permit.  I then have to go downtown during business hours (which usually means getting off work early) to pick it up.  It's a bit of a hassle.  

I tend to agree with redleg13a.  Any permit system is a bunch of crap.  I believe this was instituted long before the federal NICS check was mandated.  With that in place, the local permit becomes obselete (except for gunowner registration - but that's a whole other subject).  

Fortunately, I only live in MO part of the year.  I try to do most of my pistol purchases while I live in a "free" state.  I walk in, say "give me that one", pay, NICS check, and leave with my stuff.  

The only reason I don't completely hate the St. Louis County process is that I work in downtown Clayton, so it's easy to apply for and pick up the permits, buy I hate having to wait a week.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Phelps county used to take about 10-15 minutes.

Then the sheriff decided that expecting his staff to do the paperwork "while you wait" was overworking them and they went to a 3-day wait.

Overworked, maybe.  Hell, I'll go so far as to say they're probably overworked and underpaid.  But they always seemed to find time to do their part while you waited -- worst time I had was being asked to come back in an hour or so, since they'd just had a couple drug-busts they were booking people from and doing other related paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#12]
FanofTheBlackRifle, more than likely someone complained about comming back in an hour. Made a real stink about it, and ruined it for everyone.

Paul in STL
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Takes me about 10 min or so in Johnson county
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Lawrence Co., about 5-10 minutes.

Actually, I got on a shopping frenzy a couple of years ago, and it got to where I'd walk in, and the receptionist would look at me and say "oh, permit again?" and start printing before the background/warrant check, lol.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Jackson County makes my customers wait one week.  Over the years it has changed a couple of times from a few minutes to 2-3 days.  I recall reading the one week requirement in MO law at one time but don't recall where.  Maybe it was the maximum number of days they had?
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Marion county takes about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#17]
well called today and they were ready, got off work @ 11pm and drove out there to get them, i think they must have thought i was weird for picking them up so late Read the sheet they had posted on the window regarding the "purchase permits" and it said they "have seven days to get them completed". just doenst make any sense to me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
St. Charles county always take the full time allowed. Don't even think about dropping in to pick it up before the seven days. Hell, they even give you a card with the pick up day written on it. Wasn't too bad when the sheriffs office was only a mile or two away but since they moved it to O'Fallon it is getting to be a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
St. Charles county always take the full time allowed. Don't even think about dropping in to pick it up before the seven days. Hell, they even give you a card with the pick up day written on it. Wasn't too bad when the sheriffs office was only a mile or two away but since they moved it to O'Fallon it is getting to be a pain in the ass.

When did they move it to O'Fallon?  I thought it was still down in Old Town St. Charles?  That's where it was back in February when I got my permit to buy my first pistol.  I hadn't heard anything about it moving to O'Fallon.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When did they move it to O'Fallon?  I thought it was still down in Old Town St. Charles?  That's where it was back in February when I got my permit to buy my first pistol.  I hadn't heard anything about it moving to O'Fallon.  

I think it has been in the last month or so.  I am buying another pistol and had to drive out there friday of last week to apply for my permission slip. The new office is just down the road from the River City Rascals ball park. I think the road is called Tom Ginniver or something like that. Anyway, they are still going to use the jail at the office in downtown St. Charles but the rest of the station is now out in O'Fallon.

(Hwy 70 to O'Fallon, turn north on T.R. Hughes then right on Tom Ginniver... I THINK that is how to get there.)
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it has been in the last month or so.  I am buying another pistol and had to drive out there friday of last week to apply for my permission slip. The new office is just down the road from the River City Rascals ball park. I think the road is called Tom Ginniver or something like that. Anyway, they are still going to use the jail at the office in downtown St. Charles but the rest of the station is now out in O'Fallon.

(Hwy 70 to O'Fallon, turn north on T.R. Hughes then right on Tom Ginniver... I THINK that is how to get there.)

Hmm.  Thanks for the info.  I hadn't heard that they'd moved until now.  If I need to find it, I should be able to fairly easily.  I'm pretty familiar with that area.  Up until this year, we always played softball back in the Ozzie Smith Sports Complex just behind the Rascals' ballpark (TR Hughes).  Oh, and that street name is Tom Ginniver.
Link Posted: 6/28/2005 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yep, fortunately they move the office out to O'Fallon which is much closer to my house.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
FanofTheBlackRifle, more than likely someone complained about comming back in an hour. Made a real stink about it, and ruined it for everyone.

Paul in STL

Yeah, you're probably right.  Either that or it was election-cycle politics, since the switch happened about a week before the sheriff kicked off his re-election campaign.  

(Yeah, I'm a cynical SOB)
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Vernon County just takes a few minutes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone know how long Lincoln Co. takes?  I plan on buying a 1911 soon.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#26]
We really need to get rid of this "Permit to Purchase" business.  It serves no purpose.  Absolutely worthless bureaucratic red tape.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Clay county is only a 5-10 minute wait

Edited because I can't frickin' spell...
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Easy guys, I work there.

However, I dont have anything to do with the permits and dont know why they take so long.  A lot of permits come in everyday and I'm positive the department has a lot of more important stuff to sign like my pay checks....  But seriously give it time, new sheriff means changes in policy, and changes take time.  Hopefully this will get better.

Carey is Teddy's protege.. Right? coo....cco little buddy!!!
I don't see anything changing regarding the way the pta is handled.
My having to wait the "7 working day" maximum is B**L S**T as it by itself.  But what really pisses me off is if I do patiently wait and come back in when they tell me to is the damn Permission slip is usually signed 3-5 days prior.  Then it is only valid for 30 days from the date the approving clerk signed it.  So they have effectively screwed me out of ~ a weeks shopping time unless I have already bought the pistol I want and now have to wait to pick it up.

No disrespect to you since I don't know you.  But as much as I disliked Teddy I like Dwayne even less.

I  seem to remember him  stating publicly in his stump speech in Hallsville during the election that he doesn't see the need to change anything.  

FWIW I did not vote for the man either!

As I said no disrespect towards you or your boss. I don't know you but I don't like your boss!

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Here in Christian County it only takes about 10 minutes. But, now they have stupid hours of business.

I remember the day when after hours, the clerk would "buzz" open the door and you could go upstairs to the jail and buy your permit. It was a 24 hour operation. If the clerk was there, you got your permit. Actually, I think that a dispatcher did it back then.

I think that this all changed when they opened up the new jail and court house about 2.5 years ago.

We got a new sheriff last fall. I hope the 10 minute wait has not changed. I have not bought any handguns in about 18 months.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't know that about St Charles Co delay for a handgun.    I know if I drop off a Fm 4 for a MG, they'll call, usually that afternoon and say it's s for pickup.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:19:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Chariton County:  1st time (last year) it took about 20 minutes.  

This year, I had to come back because the computer was down, otherwise it would have been while I waited.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Platte is usually same day.

Greene, as stated above, is a full week (fuckers).

Greene is also one of the four (FOUR) in all MO that wouldn't issue ccw permits right after the law passed.  (They do now)  Well, assholes, could have had that $100, but I got a PA non-res.

I'm QUITE glad to be back in Platte CO, though I will miss 417Guns, that place is great.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Clay county is only a 5-10 minute wait

Edited because I can't frickin' spell...

I know I hear stories from other counties and it makes me glad I live in Clay.  The permit to purchase needs to go away as it's largely useless in the face of NCIS.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Adair County takes about 5 minutes to fill out the paperwork. I just bought a 1911 last month and they said the permit was good for two purchases within 30 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top