Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 3:30:06 PM EDT
I know the new CCW law says loaded handguns are ok at 21 in the car, whether concealed or not. I do not know however if loaded longarms are ok or not though.  I have not yet seen anything in 571 that prohibits it, but that doesn't mean I didn't just glance over it. It also doesn't mean there isn't somewhere in the conservation sections (a lot of states prohibit loaded long guns in the car in the conservation sections in the name of stopping illegal roadside poaching). So, anybody know for sure whether it is legal or not? I'd like to have a dedicated car gun in my trunk, but when I stop to nap at a roadside park or whatever I'd like to be safe (heard of several robberies in such places).

If the loaded rifle/shotgun in the car IS legal, would there be any stipulations to it, like those roadside parks might have a state rule saying no guns there, I don't really know. Basically, I wan't your opinion because MO thinks at 20 I should not have a pistol (I do, legally, since it is C&R), and that I shouldn't have a means to defend myself in my car until I am 21.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, loaded long guns are legal, from what I understand you can even walk down the streets of downtown St. Louis with an AR in your hand..... But don't think you won't get hassled or even arrested for it (brandishing or some other bullshit charge)
Hmm... I wandered there..
Yes it is completely legal to have a loaded long gun in your vehicle but you do run the risk of being hassled for it.

ETA:
Technically long guns are not "concealable" therefore can not be concealed thus nullifying the unlawfully concealed charges.

Of course I am what would be known in the army as a "shit house lawyer" so wait till duke or some other more qualified person answer.

BTW, even though the beer at the new hooters in cave springs is ok none of the waitresses are excessively endowed...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#2]
i have the same question as i will be turning 21 in march.  not sure if college laws override state laws as far as weapons on the property, i know last semester they put "no concealed weapons allowed" stickers on every exterior door (I get to look at a pretty outline of a full frame glock evertime i go to class)  if you get pulled over do you have to tell the officer that you have a concealed handgun? (I would anyways just cause I dont want the officer freakin out...kinda for his safety and mine) also since you have to be 23 for ccw is it legit to carry a handgun in plane site?  btw what is C&R?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
C&R is curio and relics. For the exemption, see 571.080, I believe subdivision three.

The CCW law was written that if you are 21 and older you can have a concealable weapon concealed when in your car without a permit. It doesn't have to be in the glove box, it can be anywhere in the passenger compartment (or trunk for that matter) of the car. No license needed so long as you are 21 and can legally own that pistol.

I am here at college, but I live off campus and don't park on campus, so what they think is irrelavent. However, the CCW law did specifically ban carrying concealed on state schools (or was it all? I don't remember), so I couldn't carry concealed here whether it was posted or not. I don't believe you have to tell a cop that you have a concealed handgun, though it is suggested. I am not concerned with that, I am concerned about the legality of my having a loaded gun in the first place (likely my shotgun or AR). Granted, on the drive home I don't really need it, however when I do a drive over 2 or 2.5 hours I'll often get tired and want/need to take a nap somewhere, especially if it is after dark.

I have read 571 a bunch of times. I haven't seen anything THERE that bans it, but that doesn't mean there isn't a law against loaded longarms accessible to the driver somewhere else in MO's excessive and confusing state laws (we have an entire chapter devoted to matresses for goodness sakes!).

Gary: I wouldn't know what that hooters is like ;-) I don't have time to stop there, I come home, I go to work. I pass there every weekend I'm home though. I can't legally partake of your choice in beverages, and probably wouldn't care for the taste anyway ;-)

On the same line as hooters, my mom and dad went to "Show Me's" when it was new, not realizing what it was
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Matthew10 C&R license is a collectors license not a dealer, you can only buy (with your license) guns on the ATF C&R list. Mostly guns that are over 50 yrs old or are rare or strange or odd in the way they fire. You can get machine guns with this license but they have to be transferrable,$$$$! This is how i got my MG's and the license is only $10 a year. I also purchase 1903A3 sniper rifles, US property marked 1911's, and more, but AK's are not on the list even though they should, maybe in a couple years they will. Its a good license to have, I like old war guns that may have actually killed a enemy and that has saved a AMERICAN soldiers life, thats history! And  they shoot just as good if not better then the new expensive ones you buy new.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#5]
you brought up a question that i never really thought of before.  lets say someone has 2 m1 carbines u.s. military marked....does one have to have a licence to own them? (since they are military marked)
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
you brought up a question that i never really thought of before.  lets say someone has 2 m1 carbines u.s. military marked....does one have to have a licence to own them? (since they are military marked)

No special license needed.  Also with the death of the AW ban you can now own and use shit that says "Law Enforcement Only" without worry.

P.S. Long guns loaded in your car are fine, to answer the original question if it hasn't been authoritatively answered already.  However for practical purposes please do not chamber a round in your car gun.  If you are in an accident and the hammer falls due to excessive g-forces during impact you will be legally liable for wherever that round goes.  So keep a mag loaded or whatever you want, but keep your chamber empty.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Good point duke!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
If I were going to be driving the magazine in the shotgun would be loaded but not the chamber. However, if I stopped to take a nap after dark either roadside or at the rest areas I'd want it loaded (you've seen me duke, I'm not exactly a big guy, and while I can outrun most would be robbers, I can't do that in a car). Do the rest areas pose any problems legally?

Anyway, thanks for the definitive answer Duke :D
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I were going to be driving the magazine in the shotgun would be loaded but not the chamber. However, if I stopped to take a nap after dark either roadside or at the rest areas I'd want it loaded (you've seen me duke, I'm not exactly a big guy, and while I can outrun most would be robbers, I can't do that in a car). Do the rest areas pose any problems legally?

Anyway, thanks for the definitive answer Duke :D

If you are in a car and the shit hits the fan, the best thing to do is use your 3400lb weapon to drive over or through whoever is in your way and egress the area ASAP.  The gun should only be there in case your vehicle is disabled or your escape is unsucessful.

But you already knew that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#10]
For if/when TSHTF, yes, thats true, my car will not be stopping for me to nap at a roadside rest area. The question is for now when I need to stop and take a nap after dark. Used to be I'd just have both of my knives (3.5 and 4.0" blades) out and hidden under my arms. Well, I've lost the pocketknives (which sucks, both CRKT m16's with aluminum handles!), but recently got a shotgun. I don't generally need to stop between here and home, but when I am doing something like home to springfield or other 3 hour drives, if it is after dark I'll often need to stop and take a 45 minute nap. I am distrustful of people though, and after dark and alone, while I am sleeping,  I am particularly vulnerable.

If TSHTF, I've got plans to take backroads to my farm, and if the roads are impassible, bike it, if can't bike, I plan on walking the 140 miles.

Edit: If I had a 3400 pound vehicle I'd be set for bugging out ;-) My sunfire is what, 2700? 3400 would mean I've got a big truck, an SUV, or a boat of a car that I can carry LOTS of stuff in :D and maybe even have REAL bumpers (oh how I wish I had metal bumpers)
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
No, no, I don't mean THE "TSHTF", I mean if you are in a car and a situation occurs where you would need to use potentially lethal force to defend yourself.  That counts as the shit hitting the fan to me, but not necessarily "TSHTF" as they say.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Why don't you just borrow one of your dad's pistols or something?  Yeah, you're not 21 yet, but who cares?  When I was in college, I carried a loaded G19 in the "gun compartment" of my Grand Am.  A pistol would be a lot easier to use than a shotgun in that situation.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Borrow one of dads? He only has one. Besides. I legally own my own pistol (C&R sistema, no permit needed). The reason I was wondering about long-guns is because I'd have less hassle explaining a loaded long-gun than a loaded handgun. There are two ways to look at this though. With a handgun chances of it being seen are smaller. Legally, if the handgun is not concealed, I am in the right. However, someone can claim it was concealed and then I'd be breaking the law. With a shotgun, chances are greater it'd be seen, but it too is legal, and they can't claim I was concealing it.

Duke, while hitting them with the car works well when it is running, when I am roadside taking a nap, I don't have the car running.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top