Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 5:03:33 PM EDT
Saw a thread in the general discussion where a guy from TX tagged some hogs with his "M4gery".  I had been seriously considering getting some hunting in here soon with the Bushmaster and this thread's got me thinking about it again.  

My first inclination is to go hunt some wild boar here in MO?  Any of you ever been with your AR-15?  Were you successful?  Where did you have the most success?

What other game have you hunted here in MO with your AR-15?  Again, were you successful?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Paging ShamusMcoi, paging ShamusMcoi!

Shamus has taken deer with an AR many times.  I'll let him share specific stories.  Buy proper ammunition and aim for the big part.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Buddy of mine went hoggin' with a Mini-14. The .223 pissed it off real good. It charged him, and his Brother popped it with a 12ga. slug to drop it, behind the right shoulder, angled-out thru left side just behind the ribs.

I think he may not have the best aim, so I believe it can be done more cleanly. Probably need a heavier (maybe bonded) bullet, as the are built like friggin tanks.

IMO, I'd feel better off w/ a .308 (M1, FAL) Mil. style weapon. But, even more comfy with a good '06 bolt rifle, open sights.

Please be careful if you haven't been hoggin' before. People can be severly injured, because the hogs are super-aggressive!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
My son took his first AR-15 deer last fall.  First shot dropped it but he pumped in 3 more just to make sure.  I told him not to do that again!.   It ruined some of the meat.  Did it with 64 gr Winchester power point projectiles bought  at Dunn's in St Peters.

I'm not a hog hunter but I'd feel comfortable hunting one with a 30-06 or bigger.  Same if my life was in danger from a mountain lion. They are presumed to be reinhabiting the state.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:26:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Friend of mine has property just north of Kansas City and has seen a mountain lion on it.  Cool huh?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Friend of mine has property just north of Kansas City and has seen a mountain lion on it.  Cool huh?

That's very cool actually and a little of what I was getting at with the first question.  I'm anxious to begin some scouting for a hog hunt but I've kept furbearers in mind as well ... I wouldn't be opposed to bagging a mountain lion however in MO it's illeagal to kill them unless they are threating human life or livestock (I think).  Plus, they are still pretty scarce here in MO but from the news reports over the last few years it seems that they are beginning to make a comeback ... ?

Does that buddy of yours have any idea of the age/size of the cat?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#6]
My son shot his first deer the last weekend of the season with an AR15, and my wife got hers the first day, they both were using 60gr.SP that I reloaded for them, both were just shot once, the wifes deer went nowhere and the sons only went about 40yds, shot placement is a must with the .223 , a good shot in the heart and lung area will give back strap burgers everytime  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Consevation has a good article about Feral Hogs.
Here's a tidbit.

It is legal to kill feral hogs on your own property and on public lands where such hunting is allowed. A feral hog is defined as any hog, including Russian and European wild boar, that is not conspicuously identified by ear tags or other forms of identification and is roaming freely upon public or private lands without the landowner's permission.

and the linky: mdc.mo.gov/landown/wild/nuisance/hogs/

As far as the M4gery, I am not an athority on that one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top