Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 6:07:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't really think it is needed. I was a complete noob, I had only shot an AR twice before, I had NEVER shot anything like that before, I usually shoot fixed ranges at paper targets. Yet, I had lots of fun, and the second time around even did decent. I think the best way to encourage them would be let them run the course once not on the clock before everyone gets going so they have a little experience doing it and feel more confident in it. Though having 2 COF's could be fun anyway. If there was an easier one with less targets I might consider running it with my mosin or sks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
2 range officers if we do two cofs. I think its not a bad idea. I mean some of the people  need the second cof. <--ME included some days--> depends on my mood and everything.  I will be  glad to RO the second cof and help the newbie's. I don't think im going run the course. so if you guys do it and need somebody yell.  I think its a good idea. Ronald
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]
got ya, Check.  i like it even more then. Ronald
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]
great idea! sounds familiar!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:10:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I am not opposed to it, but I think the new people who have showed up did not have any problems with it.  Remember the competition and winning is not the main goal.  Safe and fun day of shooting with fellow gun enthusiasts is what it is all about.  RstienB and my close friend Don ran it for the first time at the last shoot.  They really enjoyed themselves and the score improves the more you shoot the COF.  Moving and shooting offhand at many different distances is SOOOOO much different then bench shooting!

Metalman is trying to put together a carbine-plate “speed shoot” with all the poppers (19 of them).  Maybe this could work into this second COF?

The first shoot I attended was over a year ago.  I was down on the other range with Metalman and some friends from KC while MODCC was setting up (Finger Lakes).  I kept looking down…a SAW249 came out, 20 or so AR15s, a .50 bolt rifle and I said, “here shoot all my weapons I’m going down there!”  I had met Mousegun87 before so I asked what was happening and he said I could run the COF if I wanted to.  Cutter75 is like are you on the list, and I said “no, but I missed the safety walk through”.  It was cool Hkocher walked me through and I was hooked.

If a second COF allows more to enjoy their time out at the shoot I am all for it, but part of me feels we should encourage them to just jump in and go through the larger COF.  

Another option is to have them move down and start at a “position two” in the COF.  Some with pistols may feel 20 shoot targets are too many, so they could move from the middle structure to the kill-house kind of cutting it in half?

I have really enjoyed the safe and light atmosphere of all the MODCC shoots I have attended Finger Lakes, CMMG’s old range and the new range.  

Looking forward to the 18th  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually I think the added COF is a good idea as long as it can be used as a training tool.
i.e. for the unfamiliar to learn transition drills and practice "tactical" mag changes etc.
as well as offhand positions and the use of cover.

For instance shooting through a simulated window at two silhouettes left and right and a mag change in between to get the feel for it, as well as having a "coach" there to give them pointers and suggestions, as well as pointing out the safety issues such as finger on trigger etc.

Also some Noobs may feel uncomfortable running the course without some practice.....
This gives them a chance to "Warm up"
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with AFSOC.  The 2nd COF is there for all shooters who feel they need more practice and warming up.  I am one of those shooters who can use more practice in precision shooting.

To make things more interesting, we can setup some reduced zero targets for the 2nd COF.  We discussed this type of targets last November but never got around to trying it out.  We can use the 25m M16 zero targets that simulate shooting 250m man-size silhouette targets.  Set it up at 25 m and you simulate 250m shooting.  Push it back to 50m and you are simulating a 500m shot.  Should be interesting.

oz
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#9]
With the dual range setup that CMMG has now there is no reason why we can't do this.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I found this one on a tactical carbine league posting for a range in Canada
I like the setup for a beginners course.
Their rules show ths COF has to be completed satisfactorily prior to advancing to the real COF.
This is listed as a practice Course.
What do you guys think.

START POSITION: Alert Low ready or as instructed
STAGE PROCEDURE:
All shooters are paired up with one shooting and the other being the RO for that shooter. After completing all strings the shooter and RO will switch.
String 1 – 25m Zero Confirmation. From the 25m you will be allowed two relays of 5 rounds to zero and confirm zero your firearm under the RSOs control.
String 2 – Tactical Magazine Change. Listening to the instruction from the RSO you will load and fire a controlled pair into the left target, reload then engage the right target with another controlled pair. This will be conducted twice.
String 3 – Emergency Magazine Change. Listening to the instruction from the RSO you will load a magazine containing two rounds. You will then fire a controlled pair into the left target, reload then engage the right target with another controlled pair. This will be conducted twice.
String 4 – Firing on the Move advancing. Listening to the instructions from the RSO, you will load a 5 round magazine and on order, advance to the charge line while engaging the left target with a controlled pair and then the right target with a controlled pair. This will be conducted twice.
String 5 – Firing on the Move Left and Right. Listening to the instruction from the RSO, you will load a 5 round magazine. On order you will side step left two to three paces while engaging the left target with a controlled pair. You will then side step right two to three paces while engaging the right target with a controlled pair. This exercise will be conducted twice.
String 6 – Transition to Handgun. Listening to the instruction from the RSO, you will load your handgun and holster then load your rifle with two rounds only. You will engage the left target first with a controlled pair then transition to your handgun. You will fire a controlled pair with your handgun into the small target to on the right. We will repeat this exercise twice with the long arm controlled pairs on the right hand target this time then transitioning to handgun engage the small pistol target on the right.

Edited to correct grammar...

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Very good COF layout john, I think that it is easy to add to the current COF build.  

The Metalman "bump firing" is great!  

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm flattered!
Now I just have to not make a fool out of myself when I show up out there!
If you liked this one check out the COF submissions for a couple more scenarios....
By the way I plan to bring my nephew to this, I took him to the range up at Pigeon Hill today
and ran him through handgun transition drills and mag changes and having no experience in it the kid is suprisingly adept at this. but I had no opportunity to get him into the movement drills.
I hope to get him on this NOOB course to get a little movement and wepps handling prior to letting him tackle the main COF.

Very safe kid I have taught him everything I know..... poor kid....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks good to me :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top