Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 6:06:30 PM EDT
Well, unfortunately I was not able to make the last shoot due to a case of bronchitis.

From the reports I heard, it sounded like fun, but I know there were some concerns that it didn't run quite as smoothly as maybe some of the past matches.

I've talked with quite a few members about this, as well as the guys at CMMG, and have come up with some general ideas that may help the matches run smoother.

Mainly, it seems that a little better organization would help.

When we were holding them at Finger Lakes, we obviously had a second range. So we were able to do some free for all shooting, as well as siteing in, while others were still running the course. Which worked out well since in a short time we've attracted alot of members, and it takes a long time to run 20-25 people through two or three courses of fire.

Now I've talked to CMMG, and they have in the works plans to do some serious dirt work, and build two lanes of fire. Thus allowing members to run the course, as well as site in/ blast, at the same time.

A project of that undertaking obviously will take awhile to do.

But I don't see any reason we can't run at least two courses, while at the same time allowing some time for people just shoot for shootings sake, while that project unfolds.

I think the obvious answer would be to run the first COF, have a half hour or hour of free for all, run the second COF, and then just blast the rest of the day if that's what everyone wants to do.

Again, I think it's simply a matter of organization.

Another matter brought up was food. We either need to make sure that we are going to be cooking, or we need to make a pizza run.

Either way, we need to organize this as best as possible as well. And big thing, we need to get it ironed out up front.

And whichever we choose, it's going to cost. So either pack your own lunch, or come prepared to chip in $5 for pizza. And if somebody else does the grilling, we should help chip in for that as well. Pretty simple (I think?).

Also, I know many are travelling from all over the state. But we need to have a start time, so as to at least get the ball rolling. One big help would be to have our COF ready before the start. We have enough local guys, so this shouldn't be a problem.

It may sound like a simple thing, but believe me I think it will make a big difference.

And one more thing. We are attracting more and more people, and not necessarily all come from AR15.com. One of the things about the MODCC is that we as members have ironed out our rules, regulations, and safety concerns already. But that doesn't mean that those who are new to joining may know or understand what they are, or why we have them.

I think it would be a good idea to start EVERY match with a short 5-10 minute overview of our rules, regs, and safety measures. It may seem redundant, but it will sure help to make it easier for new people to participate, feel involved, and have fun.

Now with all that being said, I've been amazed at how fast this has grown. And am excited about the future. I think this thing has the potential to rival anything anyone else has going anywhere.

And alot of that has to do with all of the members getting involved. It has been nice to see in the past how eager everyone was to help out with scoring, running time, and pasting targets. It sure makes things easy on everyone.

This is what we make it guys. Let's make ourselves proud!

So let's talk this out now, so everything can run even smoother next time.

Any thoughts or ideas about any of this? Anything else that needs to be covered?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey ShamusMcOI,

Sounds great.  I have only been to the last three matches, and of course the October match was an excellent model to me.  The string "Lets Make It Better" had some excellent suggestions form several people.  Safety meeting at the start, Chamber flags, volunteers so ALL help and overall organization/time schedule.  

I can speak for Metalman, Beta_MO, Cutter and myself that we are willing to help any way we can.  Please IM me or post on MODCC site what you need.  We would really like to help with the next COF before the shoot.

A second range will smooth out the excellent reactive shooting, zeroing for the COF and allow some to just enjoy safe target shooting.

And again I need to say thanks to CMMG for hosting the match.  Like the old location every match I went to was better and better and it will be the same here.    
This is what I posted before:

Jeff and John another “thanks” for hosting the match. An idea if you have a second range open, people could volunteer for set times or shifts to help operate the COF and range (R.O., time keepers, taper/scorers etc.) This would allow everyone to be involved and keep some from getting stuck in one position/place. The times and sign up could be posted here before the shoot.

Also the safety gathering at the beginning of the match is a great tradition to keep. The same set of basic safety procedures should be covered at the beginning of each event. This should also be posted on the MODCC site (it really is), and posted and available at the shoot. Items like chamber flags also worked really well at the Oct. Shoot to keep everyone handling weapons in a safe manner. It is great to see so very few safety violations…unlike the old public location (I still cringe at the public/clowns that showed up after the shoot)

Also, as Metalman said we can build a really challenging and safe COF. I will build two freestanding door sections to go with the walls for the next match. Once again thanks!

I really look forward to the next MODCC match as improvements are made.  I hope this all came out right and what you were looking for in a response.

Brad

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Leif 100%.

One thing that may help at least a bunch of people is posting ALL these details on a sticky before thje shoot. As more and more details arise the thread can be modified.

Then, when the shoot arives, the thread can be copied and printed to bring to the shoot for each member to have.

I agree that orginization is a MAJOR issue, and it will take a bunch of us to get it to come together smoothly. But, having all the rules laid out, safety, protocol, schedule, eating arrangements, map to CMMG, COF details, reactive details, food sign up and or bag lunch notification, and tips from members on making the last shoots successful, would be a real help in the prelim of  each shoot. After a while it would be a pretty standard document, and possibly evolve into a manual/scoring sheet for each member.

Rock on orginization boy!!
Marshall
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Good thread, good posts.  Rome wasn't built in a day.

So when are we having the next shoot?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey an acropolis is a little much...lets just start with a set of standards!!

Hey kpel308....could there be a sticky thread started that each person wanting to contribute to could post on? The info from MODCC's site could be copied and pasted into it. Then rules concerning the safety protocols, COF's etc?

It could be titled.....COMMANDMENTS....ewww...thats a little high and mighty...how bout MODCC manual?

You get the idea!!! I think we can do it by the next shoot!! i'll help a bunch!!!

marshall
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, I think that info is posted on the MODCC website as well.

It would be nice to maybe have the rules and regs posted, along with a link to the site (why haven't we thought of that before?!).
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I think Marshall's idea of bringing copies of the rules and regs is a good one.  We must realize that new shooters that will come to MODCC shoot in the future are not necessarily ARFcom members.  They may not even know what MODCC is.  It will be great if we can take 10-15 minutes before the shoot to go over safety regs and introduce MODCC concept to the new shooters.  MODCC is not about individuals.  Member active participation is crucial in running a smooth COF.  We need to emphasize this to all who show up.  Otherwise, there will be people who step up and pick a function (and most of them are stucked there for the rest of the match), while many others just stand around and BSing.  IMHO, the number of people who just stood there doing nothing expect BSing was significantly larger in the last shoot compared to the Oct shoot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an idea for more 'member active participation' - everybody that runs the COF has to paste the targets before/after he/she shoots! First man/woman out picks up targets at end.

(Note to self: NEVER GO BEHIND AN UZI!)
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Beta_MO,

that's great.  How about "paste your own holes" kinda deal?  So those shooting FA guns must mind that they will have to plug more holes than others.  :)

oz
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Beta_MO,

that's great.  How about "paste your own holes" kinda deal?  So those shooting FA guns must mind that they will have to plug more holes than others.  :)

oz

hahaha - I was just editing my post when you posted this - I agree!!! It would actually be a good learning experience also, since you'd know where your rounds hit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#11]
And a partridge in a pear tree!!!

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top