Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2003 10:37:32 AM EDT
Duke just called me.  He reminded me how urgent the need for this stock and we should buy and send it to Chris in Iraq ASAP.  I agree with him.

So this is what I will do:

I will buy this stock set on my CC.  Members who wish to chip in can send the money to me.  Those who have expressed their support will receive an IM from me that contains my home address.

If there is still some extra cash after shipping cost etc, I will see if I can buy something else for him .... maybe cleaning supply, bore cleaner, or oil.  Cool?

Metalman, I will contact you ASAP about the rail installation on a KVAR handguard.

Thanks
OZ
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
OZ sent you a email. Ronald
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Count me in... IM me with details...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I will send IM to those who wish to participate after I got the parts in hand.  

Thanks
oz
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Oz, if you feel comfortable with it perhaps you should post up WHY it is imperative that he gets a stock set ASAP.  And please email me when he responds to your latest communication.

By the way, Erik's G3 ran 100% today, I put 80 rounds through it so I think it's good to go.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the Fedayeen seems to plan more attacks during the month or Ramadhan. All the shellings, ambushes, and recent discovery of 120 mm mortar rounds just outside the training camp all happened after Ramadhan started.  Ramadhan will end next week, so I have a gut feeling that we will hear more last breath attack from the Fedayeen.  I hope not, but the pattern is there.

I just got a response from Chris.  After reviewing the options, he sticks with the plain and simple:  KVAR OD Green stock set (long).

I will order this tomorrow and hopefully KVAR can process it first thing Monday morning.  KVAR does not ship to overseas addresses, so I will receive the stock and ship it to Chris.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, here is the stock set:

The part number is AKGSL.

We are also going to get him a red dot scope and a top cover scope mount.  Since Tasco went out of business, the Chinese firm that made their red-dots has been selling what used to be called the Pro-Point series under the rather amusing "Engrish" name Famous Maker.

The good news is, aimsurplus has the Famous Maker red-dots for $25.

The scope mount cover will come from CDNN and runs another whopping $25.  It still allows for use of the iron sights.

Anyone who has shot CMMG's full auto underfolder knows that it is impossible to maintain any kind of sight picture in full auto fire with a 7.62x39 gun.  But with a red dot you can reaquire your sight picture faster for the next burst.  This is a $50 investment to give Chris a very real advantage in a possible close-range confrontation against enemies also using otherwise identical Kalashnikov rifles.

I told Mousegun, look, we spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on guns and ammo for fun, for a hobby.  Frankly I don't care if anyone else chips in for the scope and scope mount, I'm willing to spend an extra $50 by myself to give just a little bit of an edge to a good friend of mine who is putting his ass on the line for ME so I can sit here at home and act like a big goof on the internet, and go to work every day without worrying about Fedayeen using mortars on MY position here in Kansas City.

EDIT:  Holy shit that's a long sentence.  See what happens when I get serious?  I get WORDY.

Also, Mousegun is looking at another red-dot from CDNN which is 45mm instead of 30mm, but which appears out of stock on their website.  We will keep you guys updated on what the final setup will be.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Pins and funds go out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Stock set AKGSL ordered today from KVAR.

89.99 - 6.30 (5% forum member + 2% online discount) + 10.70 shipping = 94.39

Tomorrow, get the top cover and possibly optics from CDNN.

oz
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Oz, just tell me what you need and what i owe. Ronald
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Same here, How much and where do I send it.
Mousegun, did they have the red dot sight in stock? If not I might know which one you are looking at and I did find it elsewhere but of course that would mean multiple shipping charges...
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Gary,

check your IM.

This is the optics that Branson and I agree on:

www.cdnninvestments.com/tarspor45red.html

If you can find it elsewhere for about the same price, let me know.  

Ideally, we need to get something tough like the Russian Kobra sight.  But Chris warned me that he may not be allowed to bring home these stuff.  So he requested some cheap optics like Tasco or BSA red dot.

Just for grin, who has a Russian Kobra for a good price?  

oz
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, How much and where do I send it.
Mousegun, did they have the red dot sight in stock? If not I might know which one you are looking at and I did find it elsewhere but of course that would mean multiple shipping charges...

Gary, your IM box is full, so I send you an email.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Mousegun, nobody has Kobras anymore, Tantal used to have them for $149 but I believe he is OUT of them.  Rmdye has been looking for a Kobra for quite some time without any luck.  Anyway, they use the side rail mount that the Type56 receiver does not have, only some European guns have them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#14]
OZ, good luck on a kobra. i was looking every were for one. i hope Tantal or Freedom optics get theres in pretty soon. i looked every were and i saw some place that had the one with the weaver mount but i will have to look to see were it was but the were going for 170 bucks. Ronald
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Duke you beat me buy 5 mins.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Mousegun, Oz, whatever the heck you want to called here at Arfcom, check your IM. Oh yeah, I cleaned out my inbox. I have been wondering why no one has IM'ed me for awhile.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Gary, thanks for the link.  We now have another source for this 45mm optics.  IM back at ya.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Oz, send me your info, and I'll send a check.

Anything else you can think of for Chris?

I really have no idea what type of stuff they have access to and what they would need.  But I wonder if he wants anything to pass the time (if he has any free time).  Stuff like books, magazines, CDs, DVDs (assuming someone has a laptop or portable DVD player), etc...  This stuff would also be good, because his buddies could enjoy it as well.

I've only met Chris once, so I don't know what his interests are.  Let me know if you think of any good ideas and maybe we can all dig some more stuff up.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Chris,

I dont know what else he needs.  The gun related stuff just recently came up after they came under attack by the Fedayeen militia.  

I will ask him what kind of entertainment they get there.  As for food, he likes nuts and raisin.  I got a few lbs of nuts and raisin here ready to go tomorrow.

Check your IM.

oz
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#20]
HKocher,

just got an email from Chris.  Seems the instructors are given laptops with DVD/CD players.  So movies and music will be greatly appreciated.  No particular request.  Anything is good.  

Chris is overwhelmed with the attention he receives so far.  He is somewhat uncomfortable with it, and he is not sure if he deserves such overwhelming support and attention. He thinks he and his friends are just doing their job.

Oh, the scope mount has been ordered this morning (CDNN).  I also order a magazine clamp for AK, just in case he needs an extra mag handy.

Optics will be ordered this afternoon.  Gary, pls contact me.

OZ  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, the red dots were such a good deal that after everyone got their say in, I ordered 5 of these tonight:

Total came to $160 including shipping, so that's $32 apiece.  Which is funny because when they had "Tasco" painted on them they sold for about that much per unit!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll take one, Mike!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:06:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Oz,
Check's in the mail!

Eric
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:39:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'll take one, Mike!

Mike, you should have ordered 6!  Hahahah .....
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:14:22 AM EDT
[#25]
OK Folks, here is the recap of the shopping Duke-Nukem and I have done:

1.  Red dot scope            ($32 w/ shipping)
2.  KVAR stock               ($94.40 w/ shipping)
3.  From CDNN:
   AK See thru scope mount     ($24.95)
   AK Magazine clamp           ($4.99)
   AK Cleaning kit & acc.      ($6.99)
   Broken shell extractor
   for 7.62x39                 ($2.49)
   Shipping                    ($4.00)
4.  AK-74 type muzzle brake     (free)
5.  RSA magazine quick release  (free)
6.  Buffer Tech. recoil buffer  (free)

Total:  $169.82

Postage:  $10 (?)

Chris' wife said she paid almost $20 when sending 20 lb worth of stuff.  I dont think ours is that heavy, so $10 is about right.

This morning I got another email from Chris requesting a bottle of Kroil oil and some 30 cal cleaning patches.  I think I still have an unopened bottle of Kroil, I'll go check.  But I am already scraping the last 30 cal patches I have (I shoot mostly 223, got plenty of 223 patches).  If you have some 30 cal patches you can spare, pls bring it to the Dec. 6 shoot.

Why Kroil?  Kroil is a very light oil with excellent penetrating capability in between layers of metal.  You can use it as lubricant, but it works well as bore cleaner too.  Many benchrest shooters use Kroil as bore cleaner solvent.  Soak the barrel, leave it overnight, Kroil will get in between the barrel steel and layers of copper and lead deposit in the barrel.  The next day with a light brushing, you can knock off the metal deposit very easily. I also think Kroil will make an excellent lubricant for M16 in the desert environment.  It is very light so it does not attract dust and sand particles as much as CLP does.  Allan and I have used Kroil for years as lubricant and also bore preserver.  

Chris is very excited about this package.  I asked him if anyone else he knows over there has received a care package like this one. The answer is a definite "NO".  Everybody he talked to said "COOOL!!" when they found out what we are putting together.

Oz
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#26]

This morning I got another email from Chris requesting a bottle of Kroil oil and some 30 cal cleaning patches.

Oz,
I have an unopened can of Kroil if you need one.
Let me know.

Eric
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

This morning I got another email from Chris requesting a bottle of Kroil oil and some 30 cal cleaning patches.

Oz,
I have an unopened can of Kroil if you need one.
Let me know.

Eric

Eric this is great.  Will you make the Dec. 6 shoot?  Maybe you can bring the Kroil there.

oz
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Oz I hope to make this shoot. If I can't I'm sure I can get it to one of the other St. Louis folks that are going.
And just to make sure we are on the same page. The can(s) I have are only about 8 or 10 ounces. Thats the only size I have ever seen. I don't want you or Chris to be upset if you thought it was going to be a 55 gallon drum.

Eric
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Eric, 8 oz is plenty of Kroil ... :)  

I hope you can make the shoot in Dec.  

oz
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Eric, 8 oz is plenty of Kroil ... :)  

I hope you can make the shoot in Dec.  

oz

Cool!
The son and I should be there.

Eric
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll contribute some funds toward the care package...

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Cutter check your IM.

Folks, Duke and I will bring the care package stuff to the Dec 6 shoot.  So we all can see what the care package looks like.  If you wish to send a letter or Christmas cards, you can put them in the care package as well.  They dont have to be addressed to Chris personally (but you are welcome to write him too).  I was told that not all PMCs and GIs receive care package from home, at least not as often as they would like to.  So some Holiday cards addressed to some GIs will be nice too.  If we mail this by Monday after the shoot (Dec. 8), it will get there approximately between Christmas and New Year.  Lets make their Holiday away from home a little brighter.  

Thanks
Oz
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#33]
CDNN order arrived today.

But one thing is missing: the cleaning kit.

I tried to add it to the order 2 hrs after I placed the initial order (after I received an email from Chris requesting an AK cleaning kit).  Well, CDNN was too fast.  By the time I called the second time my order had already left the dock.  

Looks like I will need to look for an AK cleaning kit at the gunshow this weekend.  Rmdye, dont forget to pick me up.

OZ
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Dont worry Bud, i wont forget you. who else would stop me from buying a new Fal if i see one.
Ronald
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Oz your IM box is full.  IM me where I can send a check.

Bob
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Oz your IM box is full.  IM me where I can send a check.

Bob

Ooopppss ... IM Box cleared.  Check your IM.

Thanks Bob,

oz
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Scopes are in!  Came today.  They all work fine but one is a bit weird in that the dial for dot brightness is indexed wrong-- "7" is actually "0" or off, "0" is actually "1", etc etc.  Other than that one weird one they are all fine, so who wants the weird one?

I took some pics.  I'm not going to leave mine on the G3, I just put it on there because I happened to have a B square mount lying around and it was a good test to see how true the mount is.

They come with an extra battery (2 total) and an optics cleaning cloth.

You can also see the free shitty penlight that I got with my order!  The Chinese writing on the side translates to "ha ha American you buy anything!"
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:27:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Duke-Nukem and I box all the stuff together on Friday 12/05 so we could show them at the shoot.  HKocher and DK-Prof got the chance to inspected the stuff.  These what we have in the box:

1. KVAR OD AK stock set (stamped receiver, NATO length).
2. 45 mm red dot optics.
3. AK see-thru top cover with weaver rail.
4. AK magazine clamp.
5. AK-74 type muzzle brake (threaded) for 30 cal.
6. Chinese AK flash hider (threaded).
7. AK recoil buffer (Buffer Technology).
8. Broken shell extractor for 7.62x39.
9. RSA quick magazine release.
10. Kroil oil (2 cans -- Thanks to HoleShot4).
11. East German AK pull-thru cleaning kit.
12. Swiss military 30 cal cleaning kit.
13. USGI 30. cal patches (about 250 -- Thanks to Allan Ensor).
14. Various emory papers for fitting the stock set if necessary.

Duke-Nukem will mail the care package on Monday.

Thanks to all who have contributed the stuff and funds.

OZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top