Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 7:16:08 AM EDT
I just got an email from Christopher in Iraq.  I want to share it here, but still awaiting Chris' consent.  I can tell you ... it is much worse than what the media reported.

Stay tune.
oz
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Got the consent, here it is:

I like what I'm doing here--it's rewarding work.  But it's wearing me down.  The hours are long, the weeks are long, and it's getting more intense in my neck of the woods.  All hell has broken out in Iraq.  We usually don't catch much of it, but that has recently changed.

I got mortared leaving out of Iraq up in Kirkush.  And coming back was a bit hectic after two birds were shot down and a C-130 was shot at with two SA-7 anti-aircraft missles.  I waited four days in Balad because there were so many ambushes on convoys.  Sure enough, the convoy behind me got hit.  It was our people.  Our luck held out that day and our guys killed one of the Fedayeen gunners.  Yesterday morning was not so lucky.  We lost two of our people in an ambush on a convoy just minutes after they left our front gate.  Not that we've lost as many PMCs as the Italians just did in Nasarya.  A car bomb took out a dozen PMCs, half that many Italian soldiers, and a similar number of Iraqi police.  Bad.  The world has gone crazy.

I've got some more photos I'd like to send you.  Found a cache of 120mm mortars outside out camp.  French made.  Scary stuff.  I'll try to send those out soon--when I can use my laptop with the internet.

Otherwise, everything is quiet now.  I hope it stays that way.  December will be very busy as we try to train two battalions at once.

I also asked him how his Iraqi students reacting to these attacks.  This is his reply (very encouraging):

There have been a significant number of infiltrators from Syria and Iran and Saudi.  Once again, these countries are exporting the hatred they culminate.  They export their problems.  But the massive number of attacks during this Ramadan season seem to be predominately carried out by Fedayeen.  Once again, the attacks are mostly one-sided.  The Fedayeen are losing...but we can feel the strain.  The situation is tense right now.

The soldiers are upset by this.  Iraqis have lost police and soldiers in these attacks.  Do they want revenge?  I don't know.  They want peace.  But not at the price of letting the Baathists and the Fedayeen to return to power!  So yeah, they seem pretty determined to stand and fight.

On (conceal) carry ... heheh:

Of course we carry everywhere we go!  But it's just junky old AKs or pistols.  Better than nothing, I guess.

Please include Chris and the rest of our servicemen/women in your prayer.  

OZ
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the post. I have been wondering how he is doing.
Prayers on the way,

Eric
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#3]
My thoughts are with Chris and the rest of the brave men and women over there...
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks oz, i was beginning to worry when you said you hadnt heard from him in so long--tell him we miss him and to be safe and careful--AND TELL HIM THANKS!!!!!
anne
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Will do Anne.  

I am going to put together a care package for Chris.  I know he likes nuts and popcorn .... he misses his preban Colt Match HBAR .... but I dont think I can include his AR in the care package ...

oz
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad to see he is OK, I am hoping his luck holds out.
Should we do a group care package for him? Something from MoDCC?

he misses his preban Colt Match HBAR .... but I dont think I can include his AR in the care package ...

Hey, why not mail his upper? I am sure he could find a lower to mate it to... with the fun switch on it too!
Tell him I I am wishing for all the best for him and his comrades over there. I would like nothing more than for this to be finished and done with.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Gary,

great idea on the care package from MODCC.  I have been telling him about MODCC and he is very excited about it.  I know he is doing a good share of shooting over there  ... but he also has people shooting back at him sometimes (recently with mortars !!).  He wanted to put together a tactical type shoot and MODCC is very close to what he was dreaming of.  I am sure he will participate in the MODCC shoot when he comes home.

Mail him the upper?  I thought there are restrictions on gun parts too ?  On top of that his Colt Match HBAR is a large hole upper/lower ... so I dont think it will be easy for him to find a large pin lower there (not milspec and all).  He told me that he carried this rifle the last few years of his Army service.  His platoon Sgt. knew about it but let him get away with it.  As long as he does not have to shoot full auto burst or doing a bayonet charge (the colt has no bayo lug), then nobody there would know ...  Of course, with the Colt he beat everybody in his platoon when shooting at 500 yards KD range .... hehehe.

Talking about care package, he did mention about wanting an OD green synthetic AK-47 furniture set (stamped receiver).  I think he was joking, but he said he has an AK-47 as his personal weapon.  MPC like Chris are not allowed to carry weapons outside their training camp.  But they carry anyway ... I mean what will Bremer do when these guys come under fire from Fedayeen fighters ambushing their convoys?  So perhaps Chris wants something nicer for his AK-47.  Who makes green AK furniture?  He mentioned Robinson Arms, but I dont see it in their website.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]

KVAR sells green furniture for stamped receivers for about $90.

www.k-var.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=270&1=271&2=-1&6=2

Hell, I'll chip in.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have Chris' address in Iraq.  For those who want to send a care package, IM me for his address.

I just got off the phone with Chris' wife.  She has something Chris sent for me.  She did not want to tell me on the phone what it is.  So I will let you know when I receive it tomorrow.

HKocher, yes, I will chip in for the stock set too.  Maybe we can send it to him as MODCC care package?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have Chris' address in Iraq.  For those who want to send a care package, IM me for his address.

I just got off the phone with Chris' wife.  She has something Chris sent for me.  She did not want to tell me on the phone what it is.  So I will let you know when I receive it tomorrow.

HKocher, yes, I will chip in for the stock set too.  Maybe we can send it to him as MODCC care package?

Me and da Chicken are in also.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm in, do we wait till the Dec meet to get coordinated or what??

Gotta run now, me and Bambi have an appointment with death....
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Good idea Gary, let us just count the pledges for now ... make sure we have enough to buy the stock set and the shipping (from KVAR and to Iraq).  If we have enough pledges, we can collect the $ during the December shoot.

Let us know if you see Bambi.

Jason and Anne, thanks.  

oz
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got another email from Chris.

Turns out he has a Chinese Type56 AK with the buttstock missing.  This is his convoy gun, the one he carries when leaving the training camp in a humvee.  I he wants the stock set for this gun.  He also asked me to include one of his AK-74 brakes and a Red Star Arms quick magazine release in the care package.

Does anyone know if Robinson Arms make a OD green stock? Do they sell it to the public?  But the VEPR has a slant cut receiver, so probably the RobArm stock does not go well with a Chinese type56.  Right?

Chris thanks everyone for the prayers.  Keep them coming, because he already put them to good use ...

Don't know what I can say.  I read the AR-15 column.  It's great for me ego--and morale.  But I'm not sure I'm worthy of all that praise.  I'm doing a job like so many other men around me.  The prayers, on the other hand, have already gone to good use.  There have been a couple close calls already.  I've managed to walk through without a scratch.  Please, keep them coming!  I've got a lot of hands to shake at my first shoot with MoDCC.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll chip in on that gift too. Let me know what is needed.

Eric
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in.  Can we send "Russian Hams?"  You know, the sealed tins with about 1000 little hunks of 7.62x39mm goodness in 'em!  Mmm, Mmm, GOOD!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm in.  Can we send "Russian Hams?"  You know, the sealed tins with about 1000 little hunks of 7.62x39mm goodness in 'em!  Mmm, Mmm, GOOD!!

Heheh .... I think ammo is not a problem over there.  Chris told me he has a few hundred rounds tucked under his bed for rainy day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Chris is overwhelmed with the idea that MODCC is looking at sending him an OD green or desert Tan US made AK stock for a care package.  This is what he said in his email this morning:

Well, I find it hard to say "no" in my current situation regarding an AK stock.  I'm flattered and honored that people would be so enthusiastic about helping out.  One thing I will point out is that this should not become a "restoring" effort because there is no way the US military customs will allow me to leave with this rifle!  It will eventually be handed off to the next PMC who takes my place in a year from now.  So functionality reigns here.  Is that okay?

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I haven't had the opportunity to meet Chris yet, but he sounds like a hell of a guy.  I'd like to help out with the furniture for his ak, I can tell that a little touch from home would help remind him how much we appreciate what he and all those guys and women are doing for us over there.  I look forward to meeting him when he gets back.  The way I look at it, there aren't any strangers here, just friends we haven't met yet.
Later,
Justin
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#19]
We should embed one of the "Peace Through Superior Firepower" pins into the stock.  I've got several left.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Scratch that.  I'll give him the whole bag to distribute as he pleases.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Save one for me please, that sounds like a cool pin.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Scratch that.  I'll give him the whole bag to distribute as he pleases.

We can include them in the care package.  His wife said that it takes about 3 weeks for a package from MO to reach him.

Apparently Chris had a conversation with the owner of RobinsonArm last January.  He likes the stock on RobArm VEPR, especially the oversized handguard (item #20047).  I dont think this stock set will fit on a stamped type56.  But since he asked, I emailed RobArm to inquire about it.  We'll see what happens.

oz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top