Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2003 3:50:26 AM EDT
OK so here goes.....
I have this plague...this plague is mine...this plague keeps changing.....it's outta my control!!!!

New outta the box it was this:

Then I had to do this to it:

Then it got really crazy:

And I think after a good park bath this will be it:

I think I need a new plague....
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You're telling me...

I have a disease that makes me turn a perfectly functioning rifle/carbine/handgun/shotgun into some sort of 20lb. prop. from a sci-fi movie.  I've got enough battery power in my M4 to power a small village for a month!

In your defense, at least you are making the parts yourself.  That's admirable since it makes the rifle truly unique to the user/builder.

Me, I just bolt on whatever I see that MSTN is selling today!

Well actually I try to do a good bit of research, but in the end, I'll be the first person to admit that I don't 'NEED' all the gadgets.  But I like 'em, so it works for me.

That's the beauty of shooting.  You got some guys who love C&R, guys who only buy current military style rifles, some guys with MGs (if you can afford or get a license), guys who stick to handguns, guys with $20K trap guns, etc...

And in the end, hopefully we all respect each other.  Except for the $20K trap shooters, I'll never understand them...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a gadget guy too HKocher, but I really am surprised at how little I have on this present MOD.
My contention for all the work is really utility.
The FSB is further foward now (which I made), allowing a quicker sight picture with the iron sights.
The brake really made the muzzle lift almost imperceptible, follow up shots are a dream.
The KOBRA sight as well has made quick acquisition REALLY fast!
The extended magazine release lever (I made) allows me to use my trigger finger to drop mags rather than lower the weapon.
And the stock (I made) is about 1/2 a pound less than even a synthetic stock!!!
All in all I am a rather pragmatic person when it comes to my AK. (That bipod was a joke!!)
The last thing I really want is a good laser.

My opinion on the whole modification of weapons is this:

If it helps you in any way, it is a positive move.

I am so sick and tired of hearing people say."Oh I just use iron sights and thats good enough for me."
Thats kind of like saying to a doctor " Why don't you operate by candle light like they did back in the middle ages, it was good enough for them?"
If you can improve your shot in any way, SO WHAT? DO IT!!!
Purists tend to bore me with all that high and mighty crap.
Skill is skill.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
After a bit of deliberation, I've decided that I do like what you did with the front sight.  You have a unique rifle there.

I think this one is done.  Get another rifle to start messing with.  God forbid you get near a classic car one day.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
A-HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!! Duke...OMYGOD!! A-hHAHAHAHHA!!!

Shi-Huang-Di is gonna kill me but...I freakin HATE workin on, filling up with gas, changing the oil, etc. in ANY vehicle!! Broken down pieces of shiznit!!! A-HAHAHAH!!!  
I am so not a gear head...
fabricator...
but not a gearhead!!! HAHAHAHA!!

I think you are right though. It has neared its end. I am very pleased with its evolution. Just a good finish will round it all out!
I do need a FAL now!!! OOoooo...they are sooooo pretty!!!
Or an HK of any sort!!!(MP5 anyone?) Too bad they are so damn expensive!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Seriously, Marshall you have the skills to build your own FAL and actually make it work.  Mousegun87 and I could help you with the US parts count and stuff, they make a great project.  Have you ever shot one?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:44:47 AM EDT
[#6]
METALMAN, you skill is somthing to behold. listen to Duke you must get a FAL, and what ever you do dont get rid of it for another AR. trust me on this one i miss mine so much anymore. Ronald
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#7]
"I am so sick and tired of hearing people say."Oh I just use iron sights and thats good enough for me.""

Actually, for some people it is good enough. There are people out there who can outshoot somebody with a scoped rifle, while using iron sites.

For some scopes just don't fit them. Hell, I was shooting better the other day with my AR15 and irons than I was with my .270 bolt action.

And putting a scope on a rifle doesn't make somebody a better shooter. If you don't have the fundamentals, scopes aren't going to help you much anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Eotech.

But for some, irons are just fine.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with Shamus.

The higher the technology, the more ways it can break.  When your optics is out of commission, it is good to know that you can always fall back on the ole iron sight and be as accurate.

Many consider me a purist since I practice with iron sight primarily. However, I can see the benefit of optics and one of these days I plan to get me an Eotech model 551.  My goal is to be proficient with both.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree. The 'purists' I speak of are people who look down their noses at anything 'new' and dismiss the things they think associate themselves with the 'common' man.
Shit, I can hit the same with my iron sights as I can with my KOBRA, but in the end, acquiring the target is MUCH faster with the KOBRA. there is no disputing that fact. Thats all I'm saying.
As far as sklill is concerned, I have this Uncle in law (filthy rich piece of crap) who buys $2000 shotguns. He took me out once to Kiowa Creek in Colorado, near the airport. Freakin nice trap and skeet club. Very hoity toity ( I really didn't fit in there). Any way he whipped out his Mogamba or Gambo or whatever this $$$$$ shotgun was and was braggin all day about it. When we started shooting, I beat him out with his own weapon. Fuckin dork even shoots it on a regular basis and has classes on shooting.
Skill is skill.
Like I said...purists bore me because it is either a cock brandishing thing, or they just want to ACT like they are better than other due to their 'lack' of technological use.
I really dont care either way. Its just when they get all cocky about what the 'right' way is, that pisses me off.
And I am totally speaking of other experiences in my life. I have yet to meet a 'cock swinger' in the MODCC ranks!!! Heh- ehhe!!
I'm not trying to step on toes...just explain that I am an ass in my opinions at times!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top