Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2003 12:18:12 PM EDT
Does anyone want to do a team event for the next (Dec. 6th) shoot?  

A show of hands for how many want to do this, or how many folks prefer only solo COF.

We would still run some individual COF (Metalman submitted a good one) but also have one team COF.

Second, if we do this, how do you want it done?

Let's throw all the ideas out, and I'll add a new poll and we can vote on the team event we wish to run (if we decide we want a team event).

GaryM, Oz, I know you guys had some good ideas, please post them because I don't remember all the details.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is my submission for the team COF:

Two man teams, 2 stages, 3 stations along the firing line.  Sort of a 'spotter/sharpshooter' set up, with both shooters engaging different targets at different distances at the same time.

Stage 1:
The 'sharpshooter' engages small targets at longer range (perhaps clays) from station 2.  Can be prone, sitting, standing, whatever you prefer, but does not move from station 1.  'Spotter' engages silluettes at med range from cover at Station 1.  When both spotter/sharpshooter have hit ALL targets, they both move together to station 3 to begin stage 2 where they engage close targets with handguns together.  

The shooters CANNOT help the other out during the first stage, and they cannot move on to stage 2 until all stage 1 targets are hit.  Time is called when last target on stage 2 is hit.

For the sake of safety, both shooters are parallel on the firing line and noone is actually advancing on the targets.

BTW, I'm open for suggestions on how to modify this one.  I liked this idea because it incorporated distances that are longer than what we usually shoot in our COF, AND it has a mandatory handgun stage.  Just like to keep things interesting...

This is a VERY approx. sketch of my idea.  Does not indicate the exact distances or numbers/placement of targets.

*editted because I marked station 1&2 wrong on the diagram and had to correct my text...
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Ummm... I remember we went over some ideas before but I can't remember what they were, heck, the only reason I can remember my own name is because people yell it at me all day.
I do recall something like team shooting with one firing close range with some sort of movement involved and of course the other shooting long range at somewhat precision targets. Other than that I can't recall.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds GREAT!!! Count me in!!! You just tell me what to shoot at!!!!!!!
Marshall
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Chris,

your idea is good.  My only suggestion is the use of clay pigeon for the long range shooting.  If we just position the clays on the dirt, near misses can easily knock them off position creating a false impression for the shooter that the clay bird was hit.  We can put the birds up in a secure position so that the shooter can see if a bird is hit squarely.  Or, (attn Metalman), we can use a falling plate type target, say 4-5" in diameter (or less if we want to make it more challenging).  A hit will knock the plate down.  We can reset them up easily and use a spray paint to touch up the surface.  This way we can see easily if the plate is indeed got hit.  Of course, no AP rounds ... hehehe
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Done! 4-5" round falling targets!  I think 3/8" plate will withstand 'most' everything ....cough cough...BIG BORE!

How many?  16? or 20?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Done! 4-5" round falling targets!  I think 3/8" plate will withstand 'most' everything ....cough cough...BIG BORE!

How many?  16? or 20?

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I just want to call dibs on having Mousegun87 as my partner for this.  He and I used to do stuff like this all the time.  Mouse, maybe during a break or something we could do a demonstration of the old bounding overwatch drill, I miss those days.  I'll go sharpshooter with my FAL on the bipod and you can go observer with a 20 inch AR or your M4gery?  What do you think bud?

EDIT:  Here's a blast from the past, remember this day?

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=6093

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=6094

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=6100

God... "remember that day?"  Sounds like I'm 75 or something.  Which way to Country Kitchen Buffet?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]
OK then I want Shi-Huang-Di on my teAM!! Better start gettin good at the 100 BIG BORE!!

Oh and Duke....you and GaryM will want to see my new toy. A BRAND NEW unissued, unfired Yugoslavian M48A Mauser!! Not a scratch on it!  OOOHHH its sooo pretty!!!  I'm really afraid to fire it. My VZ24 might be the only Mauser I fire until I can get the balls to actually pop its cherry!!!
Marshall
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:50:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Metalman do you have any non-corrosive 8mm for the Yugo?  If not get some from Aimsurplus, or else Mousegun can teach you how to clean it properly with the corrosive stuff.  A better Mauser you will not find.  Here's an old pic of me with mine:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=5423

P.S. Where did you pick it up, did you order it online or get it at a gunshow?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:10:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, I have a VZ24 which I fire a lot of corrosive stuff through. Know how to clean it proper as well.
Actually my dad got it for my birthday. I think he bought it from a dealer in Arizona, Yuma I think.
Again, it may just be a mantle piece because its so damn pretty.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds great! Count my son and me in. That's if we can ever actually get to another one of these shoots again.

Eric
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Duke,

sure we can do that.  I will stick with my A2 AR15 .... cough ..D ... cough ...C ... cough ... M ...... to engage the 100 yd targets.  No optics for me ... just a good ole plain iron sight.  

Duke, have you watched the movie Chris put together for the wargame?  Go here: www.thewargame.net and go to "movie" ... I think it will bring back lots of old memories ...
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How many?  16? or 20?

Cool!!  I dont know how many will be needed.  10 is a good number.  The more the merrier.  

Can you make a few smaller plates?  Say 2-3"?  We can call them "The Rifleman Challenge" course ...
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Duke,

sure we can do that.  I will stick with my A2 AR15 .... cough ..D ... cough ...C ... cough ... M ...... to engage the 100 yd targets.  No optics for me ... just a good ole plain iron sight.  

Shit this isn't going to be any fair!

Maybe we should handicap certain teams.

Oh well, at least I have optics to help me out...

Ozy,
Good idea on the steel plates.  Metalman, if you can make those, that would be awesome.  Mixing in some smaller ones would be nice to keep things interesting.  Not sure how many we will need.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Umm... just how are we going to team up? pick in advance, draw names or what?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Draw out of a hat at the shoot!!! No planning, no advantage to anyone that way. Anyway its a good way to get to know people a little better.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Draw out of a hat at the shoot!!! No planning, no advantage to anyone that way. Anyway its a good way to get to know people a little better.

I agree.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#18]

[mrT] i pity the fool who has to shoot with that damn chicken woman--i PITY THE FOOL [/mrT]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Duke,

Shit this isn't going to be any fair!

Maybe we should handicap certain teams.

Handicap?  Such as  ... off-hand (standing) with iron sight only at 100 yds ?  

Maybe we should make a special award for those who can hit the 2" plate from kneeling at 100 yds.  We can call it .. "The Mike January" qualification award.  Mike January is an Army SSGT who holds the longest confirmed kill using M16A2 in the Iraqi theatre.  518 meters !!  That's about 570 yards.  The shot was made from kneeling position on July 5 2003, south of the Baghdad Intl during one of the attacks by Fedayeen militia (of course, one of them kissed the dirt even before he can reach the maximum effective range of his AK).
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Maybe we should make a special award for those who can hit the 2" plate from kneeling at 100 yds.  We can call it .. "The Mike January" qualification award.  Mike January is an Army SSGT who holds the longest confirmed kill using M16A2 in the Iraqi theatre.  518 meters !!  That's about 570 yards.  The shot was made from kneeling position on July 5 2003, south of the Baghdad Intl during one of the attacks by Fedayeen militia (of course, one of them kissed the dirt even before he can reach the maximum effective range of his AK).

Now thats a good shot! But I think we have a few ringers in this group so I would anticipate a shoot off here...

[mrT] i pity the fool who has to shoot with that damn chicken woman--i PITY THE FOOL [/mrT]

Now thats funny[/LOLabove]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Ozy-- OH MY GOD.  I remember that day, I'd never actually seen the footage from the filming until tonight.  Holy shit dude, I had no idea that it was on the internet.  Wow...

Well... the video is so murky that maybe nobody except the AR15.com'ers will know its me.  Remember how much trouble we had getting those old-ass smoke grenades to work?  You can hardly tell that we popped smoke in the video, the quality is so bad.
Well, its just another reason why I can never run for public office.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I was thinking more of a blindfold.

As far as teams, I don't care if we pick teams or randomly assign teammates.

On one hand, some guys already have some trigger time together, and it doesn't seem truely like team shooting if you don't get to pick your partner.

But on the other hand, it might be more fair to randomly assign teammates, plus noone will get left out.  

I don't know, it's a toss up.  What does everyone say?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#23]
In all honesty (not really) and being (almost) perfectly serious (for me):

Mousegun87 and I have alot of experience shooting together as a team.  We are used to coordinating with each other like its the real deal.  We probably couldn't have liberated Iraq on our own, but a smaller country like Bahrain or the UAE, we could take 'em.  Unless you want a forceful demonstration of Real Ultimate Power we really shouldn't be paired together.  

Who knows what carnage might occurr downrange of the fantastic firepower unleashed by our combined smoke wagons?  There might not be enough target left for the next set of shooters to aim at, you have to consider that.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

We probably couldn't have liberated Iraq on our own, but a smaller country like Bahrain or the UAE, we could take 'em.  Unless you want a forceful demonstration of Real Ultimate Power we really shouldn't be paired together.  

this from the guy who blew away hostages the last time i saw him?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Random selection would foster more Camaraderie between shooters, and could develope friendships that otherwise might be missed...

However, for the record, if selecting your own partner is the way to go, then GaryM is my choice...
After all he was death at the October shoot...

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

this from the guy who blew away hostages the last time i saw him?!?!?!?

No time to rescue hostages when you're running and a gunnin' against the entire United Arab Emirates!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Metalman do you have any non-corrosive 8mm for the Yugo?  If not get some from Aimsurplus, or else Mousegun can teach you how to clean it properly with the corrosive stuff.  

Has he seen Eric's sewerpipe mauser?? That alone is enough motivation to properly clean a firearm.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Great idea!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok, seriously.  Randomize it, lets draw names out of a hat or something.  MODCC is about building friendships and cameraderie--  there is nothing to lose by randomizing the partners, and might get some otherwise shy people to interact with each other in a positive, fun way.

In case you can't tell, this is the NON-sarcastic post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top