Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2003 8:44:29 AM EDT
Here I sit, off work this a.m., and wish I was there. Oh well.

Maybe the wife and I will hit the range tomorrow (still not the same, tho).

Hope you had fun! I can't wait to see the costumes!
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
sniff .. sniff ...  I won a door-prize from CMMG ... one full magazine to shoot from their FN P90 ... but the Conservation Agent showed up following up a complaint filed by someone.  He said that full-auto is a no-no in this range ... I could not believe this since we have always had full-auto in previous AR15.com shoot dated from 2 years back.  Also, many annual-shooters started to show up and they again complained to the Cons. Agent because they could not use the 100 yard lane.  We have our permit till 3 PM, so the Agent told us that we must clear the range for public use at 3 PM sharp.  I learned one thing today ... Park Rangers != Conservation Agents.  The two guys who showed up at our shoot last month were Park Rangers. They were cool but it turned out that the shooting range is outside their jurisdiction.  The Conservation Agent is the one in charge over the range, and this guy is not cool at all ...
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
aw, oz, come on now--tell him about the good stuff--like the grim reaper running the course.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
aw, oz, come on now--tell him about the good stuff--like the grim reaper running the course.....

was that my man?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
absolutely, whatta goof

missed ya--catch ya next time, lady
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Oz you lucky dog, a full mag, man i will say it again you lucky dog. so did you get to shoot it at all.  im sorry the CA showed up guys. really sorry. Ronald
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, GaryM showed up and ran the course fully hooded ... and Shamus showed up wearing a crown  ... and, as our way of making a statement, at 3 PM after we cleaned up our stuff about 8-10 of us lined up with full mags in rifle.  A watermelon placed at the 50 yd berm had to take our collective wrath ...it was loud, continuous, and simply set us apart from the deer hunter crowds ... I bet the CA people received numerous phonecalls regarding full auto fire following our volley shoot.

Ron, I did not get to shoot the P90.  The CA agent showed up before we could shoot many full auto at all.  I suspected it was one of the disgruntled deer hunters who called it in, not the "surrounding residents" as the CA agent claimed.  I mean, c'mon, we have had a lot more fullauto fire in the last shoot or other shoots before that, and nobody ever complained.

Another very positive note.  The shoot was much more organized and safe.  The chamber safety flag was adopted by all members and I think our members were growing to like it.  Unfortunately, the deer hunter crowds did not observe as high safety standard as we did.  I saw this old guy just started walking down the range when other people were still shooting.  GaryM and Howlin screamed "cease fire" ... the old guy stopped and gave us this "WTF" kinda look ... It is a very good move by HKocher to cancel the November shoot completely ...
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Mrs. Jake, thank you very much for feeding us.  And a special thanks from me for paying attention to my dietary restriction.  I really appreciate it.

Jen, we missed you today!  Looking forward to seeing you again at the next shoot.

Ron, how's your uncle doing?  I hope the treatment works for him.  I have him in my prayer.

We also miss Duke-Nukem, Hot-Lead, Kpel308 to name a few.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#8]
So, was the general concensus that it sucked? Or was there only a couple of glitches in an otherwise fun match?

Why did you HAVE to leave at 3 p.m.? Couldn't everyone just hang-out and shoot on their own (not as MODCC)? I mean, the lanes are first-come, first-serve, right?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#9]
It was still a fun match.  Much better organized.  And Metalman put up some steel reactive targets at the 50 yd lanes next door.  Many of our guys would go visit the next range to warm up or just confirm their zero.  Thanks Metalman for the fun reactive target.  I like the way you setup those targets.  They swing back when hit so bullet shrapnels were safely projected down to the ground instead of up and back toward the firing lines.

You are right, some of us could have stayed past 3 PM as individuals.  But the range was full of guys who probably shoot less than 20 rounds a year ... the way they handle their guns left all of us worried.  In my observation, the guys left because it was just not safe anymore to shoot there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It was a fun shoot. A few of us did stay for a bit longer but to be honest some of the once-a-year shooters (read as deer hunters) had me scared. Just ask Mousegun how loud we were yelling at him to ceasefire.
The 30.06 armor piercing ammo we fired worked great, nice clean holes in 3/4" steel plate (courtesy of Metalman)
It would have been nice to have the range longer but thats the way the cooky crumbles.
It seems to me the shoots are getting more and more popular, every time new faces are to be seen. I believe this was the best organized/operated shoot so far its just that the range was so dang crowded, then again what can you expect on a nice October day a few weeks before deer season.
I wanted to include a special thanks part here but there are so many I would include it would take more time to type out than I have the patience for so, a special thanks to all and sundry. I had a great time and I know most everyone else did too.
BTW, anyone get any pictures of the "Grim Reaper"? I would love to see them if I could.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#11]
This was my second match, and I had a great time.  The group did a good job with the layout of the course, and the pressure for the three o’clock deadline was not bad.  Even if we could have stayed I did not want to be there when the once-a-year shooters came in force.  All and all a day at the range with safety, clear weather, great crowd and many very interesting weapons could be called a total success.

Thanks to everyone who put it together!
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with SHD.  Our group should be applauded for taking the safety issues to the highest level.  I cannot remember seeing one single safety violation.  Shooters are very self conscious about the safety of their guns.  Chamber safety flags made it a lot easier to verify the status of a gun.  HKocher gave a full safety briefieng before we started the COF.  I think we should use this experience as a future reference if we want to talk about range safety.  Dont lose those yellow flags guys ... they will come in handy when you go shooting next time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw the request to close the shoot as reasonable...
We had our fun, and it is a public range, so I had no problem relinquishing the space...

GREAT TIME...
Reactive metal plates - What can I say but...

Plink, plink, plink, plink......plink, plink...
Is my Carbine zero??? Hell, yeah...
Thanks, Metalman - good to meet you, also...

Gary - if I ever saw you charging me in that outfit, I'd have to run, or die laughing - way cool...

Jeff, Thanks for the goodies - we appreciate being associated with CMMG - You handlied the Ranger well...
I especially like your own permit to use your weapons - How can anyone argue with that???
made me want to print up a Second Ammendment permit card and issue it to myself...
I'm proud of you...

Chris, GREAT COF's - Zombies are hard to kill, but we managed to put a few down today...

VOLLEY FIRE has to be our trade mark for the end of a successful shoot...
I thought about the people who complained about automatic fire - we were definitely LOUDER - the watermelon never felt a thing - it was over before it knew what hit it...

Missed alot of people, but we understand, and will be looking for you next shoot...
Which might be at CMMG's range it the CA gives us any flak - Thanks Jeff for the offer to use your place...

Mrs. Jake Love you - Thanks for the Brats - I especially like the howling dog while you were cooking the hotdogs - are they done yet, I asked??? No, they're still barking...

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a lot of fun. Once again I was not able to make it. Wish I could've been there.
Sorry to hear that there were complaints from the other shooters. Sounds like they were a safe bunch! And to think that they think full-auto is a problem. Sheesh!
Glad to here you had a good time. Now, lets see some pictures!

Eric
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm bummed I could'nt make this one either, sounds like alot of fun was had.I know the Nov. shoot isn't happening, but will it resume in Dec. or wait till warmer weather?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Ditto on the many thanks to all who set the shoot up.  Thanks for the food and the fellowship.  I'll be back as often as I can swing.

Jeff D.
"Miranthis"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top