Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2003 3:39:21 PM EDT
I'm always looking for new ideas to keep MODCC interesting.

I was thinking about possibly adding a team element to some of the matches.

First off, these won't be 'movement drills.'  We don't need two shooters advancing on a course at the same time.  That is pretty advanced team shooting, and we have shooters of all different levels of experience.  Since we have no way to judge the ability of each shooter, we are not equipped to safely pull that off.

So here's what I'm thinking...

Two shooters on the line at the same time.  Perhaps one shooter is prone or sitting and will engage 'long' targets (100yds), while the 2nd shooter engages targets in the immediate area.  I think we could safely have the 2nd shooter move from one station to another, as long we are moving horizontal to the 1st shooter's position, and shooter 2 is on safe while moving.  This would require at least two ROs, of course.

Time would be called after both shooters are done engaging targets.

Does this sound interesting to anyone?  Or would you rather stick with what we got?  Keep in mind, if we do this, we won't run a whole shoot with team courses.  We'll primarily run the individual COFs, but perhaps every other shoot we could run one individual COF and one team COF in the day.

I haven't gotten all the details worked out, so feel free to throw out any ideas, comments or criticisms.

Also, I haven't decided, but should you be able to pick your teammate, or should it be random?  If random, I figure the shooters can determine whether they want to engage long or short targets.  That way the shooter can bring the appropriate rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Chris, good idea.  Sounds much like the Rattle Battle in service rifle match.  The idea is to shoot as many rounds at the targets as accurately as possible in a given time allocation.  So the shooters must juggle between careful aiming for accuracy and the volume of fire ... interesting aint it?  I have not participated in any Rattle Battle match before, you may want to ask Allan tomorrow for details.  BTW, this is a team event, usually consists of 4 shooters and a spotter.  In rattle battle, no zero confirmation is given.  I think it also requires changes of distance between 300, 500 and 600 yards.  Due to time constraint most shooters probably chose to leave their sight setting the same and learn how to hold their aim higher or lower depending the distance of targets ... this is why there is a spotter in every team.  In our case, we can simplify this quite a bit by shooting at one distance only ... so it all boils down to shooting fast but accurately.

oz
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Something like a 3 gun match?
Maybe with the weapons assigned randomly so there is no telling what you have to shoot?

Sounds great to me!

Maybe something where one has to field strip/reassemble their weapon before firing it?

HKocher, you can move two shooters horizontally safely as long as they do not cross each others lane of fire. Simply stated start each at the extreme side of the range, they both move inward to their next positions meeting in the middle.
Or you can move them simultaneously at a tangent downrange.
Also clay pigeons make great reactive targets, easy to aim at and easy to see when hit not to mention cheap too.

Link Posted: 10/3/2003 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Maybe something where one has to field strip/reassemble their weapon before firing it?

I take it you watched too many episodes of "Combat Missions" when it was on...

HKocher, you can move two shooters horizontally safely as long as they do not cross each others lane of fire. Simply stated start each at the extreme side of the range, they both move inward to their next positions meeting in the middle.
Or you can move them simultaneously at a tangent downrange.

I agree, as long as the shooters are not advancing, only moving horizontal on the firing line (from one station to the next) we will be okay.  The ROs are going to have to be on the ball with this.  Obviously we don't want shooters doing team room clearing drills.

I like the idea of having one stationary shooter for the longer ranges (well 100yds is as 'long' as we got), that way we have add some variety to the matches.  Plus, I want to play with my SPR clone.

I picture a guy with a scoped rifle (or irons if you're a better shot than me) hitting a bunch of clays (good idea Gary) at 100, while shooter 2 moves from station to station and engages targets <50 from cover with a carbine or handgun.

Of course we could have different variations of the team match each time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:57:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I mentioned this to a few people yesterday, and I believe it drew some interest...

Have a pistol shoot/elimination.
Two shooters shoot targets (Bowling pins, metal plates, clays, or combinations thereof), and the winner advances to the next tier to compete with the winner of the previous pair of shooters...
eventually the two best shots are going up against each other, with an ultimate best shooter taking the prize...

Here's where aim and speed can generate some really exciting, and very close encounters...
We did this at The HUN farm in Texas -GREAT FUN...
The winner has bragging rights, until the next time we rotate this variation back around...

Then everyone will try harder, just to knock the previous winner out of place, just to shut him(or her) up... -ha,ha

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top