Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2003 2:23:36 AM EDT
No, it isn't the new job.

As some of you know, my father in law and great uncle were POWs, captured by the Japanese in the Philippines during WWII.  Neither one survived their captivity.  My uncle, USMC Sgt. Robert Dimmick, died of malnutrition (beri-beri) after being captured on Corregidor, surviving the Bataan Death March and the Hell Ships, in a Japanese camp in Manchuria.  My father-in-law, SSgt. Julian Almonte, was with Troop "G", 26th US Cavalry (Philippine Scouts).  For those of you not familiar, the Japanese showed "extra attention" to those Asians that they felt were "race traitors", and did not work for the good of the "Pan-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere".

There is going to be a re-dedication of the Palawan Massacre memorial at Jefferson Barracks on the 4th at 1030, and I have been invited to be a member of the Marine Corps League delegation.  I gratefully accepted.

For more information, go to:
www.mansell.com/pow-index.html
www.philippine-scouts.org/History/history.html

I believe you guys can understand.

Semper Fi!

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Ken,  we will shoot our guns to honor them.

I dont consider myself as a racist individual, but when it comes to the Japs .... well.  First, they still refuse to teach their kids on the attrocities committed by the Japanese soldiers during the war.  Instead, they kept on reminding people of their civilian deads from the two A-bomb dropped in 1945. BS.  There were more asian civilians killed by the Japs during the war!  Indonesia lost 2 million people due to starvation, forced labor, and plain and simple execution by the Japanese.

Second, the Japs my age, even after I showed them all the evidence, still refuse to admit that they were wrong.  They should be apologetic, but they are not.  Good thing I am a law abiding and peaceful person.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
kpel, Thank you for accepting the offer to attend.

Mouse, I have never met a person of Japanese descent who will admit they are/were wrong with anything! It is a cultural thing. They are a proud people; but that doesn't excuse their ignorance of the attrocities that they were responsible for (as a military force) during the War.

I try not to hold Japs my age responsible for their country's past, just as I don't think I am responsible for the attrocities occuring to slaves in America; or to the American Indians, etc, etc.

What do you expect from people who eat sushi. Yuck! Who the hell decided to NOT cook their dinner? No wonder they have Saki.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Hot-Lead,

at least American have the guts to acknowledged the wrongs they did in the past.  Some rectifying actions may be taken, e.g. in the case of slavery we now have "affirmative action" ... even though, as a minority myself, I cannot say I agree with this progra.  

These Japs would refuse to acknowledge anything. That's what pissed me off. I was in Japan for a couple of weeks as an exchange student when I was in HS.  During a discussion one night I started talking about the war.  I drew blank look from the students as they had no clue what I was talking about, and the teachers were turning to each other trying to figure out what to do with me.  I kept on talking, f**k them, they must hear it at least once in their lifetime, so it may as well come from my mouth.  Maybe they should not have picked me as an exchange student ... haha
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#4]
You troublemaker! :)

Every culture has made mistakes, and We as a country can admit it better than others.

Okay, I'm done hijacking kpel's thread... ;)
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
God Bless - Ken...
We'll be thinking of you, and as Mousegun said we can have a volley-fire in Honor of this event...

Everyone needs to remember the past...
So we do not repeat it (the bad things that is)...

Younger generations need to learn from the mistakes of their forefathers, and hopefully improve on the mold...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top