Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2003 10:25:44 PM EDT
Does anyone have any insights as to how one should get the 8 hours training as required by the new CCW legislation?

I'm in SE Missouri and my guess is that there is NO training currently available.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
No insights here but i am wondering if military training will qualify.
As for training becoming available, if you want to start your own business now is the time.
Just think, your own business..
HONEST GARY'S HANDGUN TRAINING INC.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:15:42 AM EDT
[#2]
i was wondering the same thing. traning good! Ronald
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't mean to intrude on Missouri territory, but as a NRA certified instructor, might I suggest a NRA Pistol/Safety Course, taught by a Missouri NRA instructor, (which you can find by visiting the NRA web-site).

Saved me 2 extra days at the Texas DPS CHL Instructors class (only had to go for 3 days instead of all week), as I'm a NRA Instructor.

Mike

Here ya go, don't know where it's located vs where ya live but perhaps link will help ya find a closer one in a neighboring state: http://www.nra.org/frame.cfm?url=www.nrahq.org

shit, can't link there, go here: www.nra.org/frame.cfm?url=www.nrahq.org

Pick NRA programs on left,
then pick Education and Training Programs to rt. of Heston, then pick Instructors, on left, then pick Find Local NRA Safety Course, which will get to non-functioning link above, type your state.....  Only 2 both at Bates City, Pioneer Gun Club?????
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I was watching the trainers do the yearly requalifications for the department of corrections at the MO Conservation department range and it just did not look like my cup of tea.

Would like to know what is required though.  Might be easy and might be hard.

Really kind of want it hard.  Some of the stuff I see at the range scares the hell out of me.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
No insights here but i am wondering if military training will qualify.
As for training becoming available, if you want to start your own business now is the time.
Just think, your own business..
HONEST GARY'S HANDGUN TRAINING INC.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Just finished reading the text of the bill, here's a cut n paste of the appropriate section for you guys.

26. A firearms safety instructor shall be considered to be a qualified firearms safety instructor by any sheriff issuing a certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement pursuant to this section if the instructor:

(1) Is a valid firearms safety instructor certified by the National Rifle Association holding a rating as a personal protection instructor or pistol marksmanship instructor; or

(2) Submits a photocopy of a certificate from a firearms safety instructor's course offered by a local, state, or federal governmental agency; or

(3) Submits a photocopy of a certificate from a firearms safety instructor course approved by the department of public safety; or

(4) Has successfully completed a firearms safety instructor course given by or under the supervision of any state, county, municipal, or federal law enforcement agency; or

(5) Is a certified police officer firearms safety instructor.

P.S. I don't think an 8 hour class is a bad idea either.  I think of it like buying condoms at the Walmart--if you aren't mature enough to go out and buy condoms because you are too embarrassed about it, then you aren't mature enough to be sexually active either.  This is a very minimal flaming hoop for us to jump through and I don't think of it as an infringement on our rights at all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:43:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it going to be 8 clock hours or College Hours? I know that is a stupid question but I lived in Texas when they passed their CCW and the Safety Courses averaged in the $300 range. Plus the fee for the sherrif's dept. added up to a hefty amount. It's the price of freedom I guess though.... While stationed at Ft. Lewis my CCW cost less than $50. out of pocket for a background check with no safety class. I agree that safety is a very important consideration but I hope that the course fee is regulated as the county fee is. A nice part of the law that is less mentioned is that you may conceal a weapon inside your vehicle w/out having a license. If Missouri takes the path of Texas most busineses will post "NO WEAPONS" signs at their doors so inside the car is where it MAY stay most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The 8 hour course will be an excellent place to meet new people; people who are around the same area, and may make excellent range buddies.

This could also be an opportunity to take a new shooter under-wing.

This is a great chance to form friendships, and to be as polite and helpful as we can to newer shooters, so we can get more people "out there" who are Second Amendment friendly.

Be Positive, guys!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#8]
*editted, because I'm trying to be positive about a good thing, even though in my mind CCW is a RIGHT, not a priviledge...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top