Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2003 5:08:50 PM EDT
Ok, the pol thing worked. Answer away folks!
BTW, I did the poll, I get to go first...
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Yesterdayy I leave work around 4:30PM.  I'm sitting to make my right off Florissant Ave onto Lucas and Hunt when I see bunch of police cars in the middle of the intersection.   I see one undercover guy walking around with his pistol in his hand at the ready like he is looking for someone.  Creepy.  My thoughts at the time were how am I going defend myself if the thug they're seeking confronts me attempting to escape?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yesterdayy I leave work around 4:30PM.  I'm sitting to make my right off Florissant Ave onto Lucas and Hunt when I see bunch of police cars in the middle of the intersection.   I see one undercover guy walking around with his pistol in his hand at the ready like he is looking for someone.  Creepy.  My thoughts at the time were how am I going defend myself if the thug they're seeking confronts me attempting to escape?

Yell "911" really loud?

Link Posted: 8/14/2003 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Solution:

If I was traveling in St.Louis (in my personal vehicle, of course), then I believe the "current laws" would allow me to OPEN carry my gun - say in the passenger seat - in plain view...

If the problem is an increase in car-jackings, then I would just be vigilant in my surveillance of my surroundings...
ANYONE approaches my vehicle - I chamber a round in my weapon...
If they reach for my door...
I present my weapon - barrel first...
If they proceed to open my door...
I discharge weapon bullet to the head...

What is wrong, if anything, with this???
Personally, I believe nothing is wrong with what I've done in the above scenario.
Legally, I don't know...
All I know is I'd be alive, would-be car-jacker is no longer a threat to anyone - ever again...

Link Posted: 8/15/2003 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Glenn:  Nope.  No open carry in St. Louis county.  If a firearm is to be transported by vehicle, you are to have it unloaded and in a locked case, separate from ammo, in a place not accessible to the driver, preferably the trunk.  That is, if you are not the holder of a St. Louis Metro Armed Security Officer license, and are taking the most direct route to or from home or work, with no stops, within 1 hour of the end or start of your shift.

Carjackings are quite common up in the neck of the woods that I patrol in St. Louis, and I am damned glad I have a pistol and some Kevlar!
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know about St. Louis, but supposedly open carry is ok for most of this side of the state. (not Nevada, MO I hear though)  I Have also heard (through the grape vine) that the passenger seat is not always considered openly displayed. The police seem to want your side arm on the car dash.  If pulled over, thats where mine will be.  (with hands on the window sill and interior lights on and keys on dash as well!)

All hearsay but I haven't had to find out the hard way.

STAY OUT OF JAIL CARD 2002
Missouri Constitution: That the right of every citizen to
keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and
property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil
power, shall not be questioned; but this shall not justify the
wearing of concealed weapons. Article I, Section 23.
UNIFORM LAW: Often called “preemption” RSMo 21.750.
This law says that local laws regarding firearms and ammunition
cannot be more restrictive than state law. The only
exceptions are for shooting in city limits, and open carry of
firearms. The law only covers firearms, ammunition, ammunition
components, and sales thereof, not knives, BB
guns, martial arts weapons etc.
OPEN CARRY: There is no state law against carrying guns
openly, loaded or unloaded, on foot or in cars, but they must
be easily seen by the casual observer, and recognizable.
Certain cities have laws against open carry. There is no
source to look up the cities with such laws. Cities known to
have banned open carry are St. Louis, CapeGirardeau,
Grandview, N. Kansas City, Belton, Aurora and others.
If stopped with a visible gun in the car:
Pull all the way over to the right.
Stay in the car.
Turn off the car.
Turn off the radio/tape/CD.
Turn on the interior car light.
Keep your hands on top of the wheel.
Inform the officer of the gun immediately.
CONCEALED: Carrying concealed weapons is having
a loaded/functional weapon on or within reach of the
person. A felony under RSMo 571.030 except:
1. Persons in their homes or place of work,
possibly, but not certainly, limited to being inside a building.
2. When hunting and carrying a “projectile
weapon” openly. A “projectile weapon” is a BB gun, bow,
or firearm.
3. “Traveling” peaceably through or within the
state. The definition of “traveling” is uncertain, but it covers
travel within the state as well as across state lines. State v
Collin, 879 S.W.2d 585 (Mo.App. W.D. 1994).
4. When the gun is disabled or unloaded and
ammunition is inaccessible.

Edited to Add:
No, I would not carry if illegal. What's What? That? Oh, That! No, I'm just happy to see you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Edited to Add:
No, I would not carry if illegal. What's What? That? Oh, That! No, I'm just happy to see you.

Dogma
Was the "that" you were speaking of large or small,huh huh, I mean large caliber or small caliber???

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Was the "that" you were speaking of large or small,huh huh, I mean large caliber or small caliber???

I only get ten rounds...   Ten BIG rounds!
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I've spent a bit of time in some of the not-so-good areas in both KC and STL, and after being around an area for a while you learn the places that you JUST DON'T GO.  Minimizing risk and all that....

But, there's always a nice large knife in plain view when I'm in my car in those instances where I HAVE to go to those places....not as good as a gun, but a lot less inconvenient to explain should you get stopped by the police.  (been there, done that one, not a single officer I've come across sees any problem with a large knife in the car)
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#9]
In St. Louis you I have a KABAR on the dash an the officers don't mind either.  My officer friends say that there is nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was in law school in Columbia I open carried a few times on my hip (not on campus!) just to see what reactions I got.  I got NO reactions from anyone, I think they must have all assumed that I was a cop or had a special permit or something.  Nobody approached me about it.

Until we get CCW, I advocate open carry if you think trouble is out looking for you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone hearing anything about the veto session coming up next month?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#12]
No, but the NRA magazine Freedom 1st (or is it 1st Freedom) has a full page ad about One-Term-Bob and the fight we have here in Missouri.
On the flip side is the names and phone numbers of all the State Senators & Reps...

Again, they encourage all of us to speak up and let our voices be heard...

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Cutter,

Did you just get that one?  Is it the September issue?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have read in the news that a MO State Senator (a Republican Reservist) has been called in for active duty. He is Supposed to be in Cuba ( on the US Base there that is a prison for enemy combatants) for the duration of the veto session.  According to a article in the KC commie Times there is no hope for overriding OTB's veto of LTC as they are now one short in the state senate.

I hope and pray they're dead wrong!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Absentee vote anyone?  

Ok that was a crappy joke, I admit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cutter,

Did you just get that one?  Is it the September issue?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Yes, it arrived in the mail a day or so ago...

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
A good place for Missouri CCW info is www.sacmo.com
This info is in the latest news.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top