Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2003 5:24:17 AM EDT
Allrighty, I finished it up last might and here it is. The one on top is the Saiga I picked up two weeks ago. I replaced the goofy sporter stock, added a pistol grip and standard AK stock and of course had to move the trigger assembly forward. The magazine is a SAR-3 type, a east german weiger from what I have been told. The parts you can't see is the homebuilt feedramp mig'd in place inside.
The bottom one is the AK Cutter ran the MoDCC with. Nothing new since then but I did finally get the front grip cleaned up and polyurethaned.
Anyway, here they are.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:52:10 AM EDT
[#1]
VERY nice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Good looking rifles.

Can you add a regular AK front HG's on the Saiga's?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
[homer]Ummmm, hand grip...(heavy breathing)[/homer]

Nice, Gary...
Did a good job on that Saiga...

After shooting your AK, I've given thought to buying one, just for variety...

[Mr. Rogers]Ok, kids, can you spell AK???[/Mr. Rogers]

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking AK's. I particularly like the Russian conversion.

Rick

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet! Good work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Gary, sometime I'd like to see that Saiga.  Did you use a jig to relocate the fire control group, or just eyeball it, or something in between?  How does it run?  Awhile back Aimsurplus had those steel .223 mags on sale for cheap, I don't own a SAR-3 but I understand that they won't run very well without those steel mags.

What caliber is the gun on the bottom?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
M4, I don't know if regular handguards will fit. I believe there was a discussion on the AK forum about it but I can't swear by it.
Duke, it will be there at the next MoDCC shoot, you can count on it. All the holes you need to move everything around are already there. It is as if Saiga started these rifles out as regular AK types and later drilled a few new holes to make them US compliant. It was a heck of a lot easier to do than it seems. The only operation that needed any level of skill was installing the feedramp.
The gun on the bottom is the SAR-3 that Cutter ran the course with last week. It is a 5.45x39 AK74 type.
BTW, I will have that video ready eventually. I have a friend who has sworn he can put it on a CD and I am waiting for him to get back to me.
Look for Cutter entering the "doorway" in the second course of fire, thats the rifle being fired from the "assault" position.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Gary-- SAR-2 is 5.45x39, SAR-3 is 5.56NATO.  It looks like a 5.45 gun to me, judging by the magazine, but I've seen bakelite 5.56 mags too.

Hopefully by next month I'll have my SAR-2 back from a complete refinish and can run with it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya know, someday I will learn to proof read before submitting. It is a SAR-2 on the bottom, I have no idea why I put a 3 there instead...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top