Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2003 7:39:20 AM EDT
Check out these guys.  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=10&t=169404

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=10&t=169498

I'd love to participate in some sort of defensive rifle/carbine shooting.  God knows I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a scattergun, but nothing promotes better shooting skills than some friendly competition!
I guess I haven't been in MO too long, but I don't even know of any defensive pistol groups around my area.  No 3-gun to my knowledge either.

If anyone knows of any similar groups in existance in MO, let me know.  If not, perhaps we should consider organizing a defensive carbine group ourselves?  It might be a lot of work, and we'd probably have to find a place that would let us do it, not to mention timers and refs and such...  But it might be really worth it.  I can't think of a better way to develop ones skills, and I'll be honest, it looks like a heck of a good time!

We can't get shown up by the 'swamp state', can we???
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking the same thing after our shoot this weekend at Finger Lake...

I'm sure we've got enough people with the requisite backgrounds to share some of their experience with the rest of us...

Here is a link that shows we have an instructor in the area that can do this...
www.tdsa.net/
Click on TDSA - Missouri

He is in New Florence, and may already have the range set up...
If not, I'm sure we can get things together if we pool out talents...

We even talked about night patrols on the Hun Farm in Texas...  just for fun of course, but you "do" as you've trained, so I'm all for the "experience" of it all...

Duke_Nukem displayed some skills and provided us some pointers last weekend, maybe he can share where he trained...  or maybe he's just a natural

What does that document say about "a well regulated militia"???
You know the one I mean???
Damn, can't remember... Tom J. wrote it...

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, there is a local gun club in my area (Green Valley, just outside of Columbia) that regularly has pistol competitions. From what I understand, they will alot of times have three gun matches after the competitions as a side deal. I'm definetaly planning on joining this spring.

They also hold the Bianchi Cup there, and hold law enforcement competitions there every so often. Some of the more recent law enforcement competitons have been an MP5 match, and a SWAT competition.

I wonder if there were enough non LEO members there who showed interest if the club might get more into the defensive carbine area? Right now they are mainly big on pistols, though they do have a 200 yard range and are planning on puttin in a 600 yard range in the near future.

Only problem of course is that it may be a bit of a drive for some of you guys, but it's a though.

Oh, and  as far as Duke's skills, he's just a natural.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
On the HISTORY CHANNEL tonight on "Conquest" (which follows Mail Call) they had a segment called Police SWAT procedures & Techniques of some Defensive Training School out of Little Rock...

Should be on all week... check it out!!!

Squad/Team training in CQD.
Awesome show...
I'm definitely am going to catch it again.

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in the KC area but would be willing to drive to Columbia to participate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#5]
HKocher, Cutter... I'm thinking of taking an advanced pistol course with Larry Treen of TDSA near the end of June, if I can scrape together the 1500 rounds and $300 cash to enroll in the course.  If I take the course I will share what I learned with you all.  

Larry Treen is an absolute badass.  He regularly places 2nd or 3rd in our local IPSC matches with a S&W .357 revolver and moon clips.  He reloads his wheelgun faster than I reload my USP Tactical, and he's more accurate.  So I'm hoping I can take the class.

Also, for anyone who is interested in seeing me at my most pretentious, I can give a "class" on what I know of tactical carbine/submachinegun and room clearing when we get together at the end of the month.  I'm not an expert or anything but I have had some playtime with the local police "STAR" team and I generally keep fairly well read on the subject.  It probably would only take a few minutes to teach everything I know, and other people with experience could help me out.  Anyway, if anyone's interested I'm more than willing to share what little I know.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll be in Texas on the June 14-15, otherwise I'd take the course with you...

If you don't make the June course Duke, then I'll attend the July class with you...

Seen Larry's webpage
www.tdsa.net/
I certainly could benefit from his training...

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Duke is the best pistol shot I know personally.  He is a natural.  He can make just about any pistol to shoot good.  Starting from an old kicker like a CZ-52 to his ultra modern HK-USP tactical.  I need to learn more about pistol handling from Duke.  

oz
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Duke is the best pistol shot I know personally.  He is a natural.  He can make just about any pistol to shoot good.  Starting from an old kicker like a CZ-52 to his ultra modern HK-USP tactical.  I need to learn more about pistol handling from Duke.  

oz

Yeah, know what you mean...
Haven't shot my CZ-75 in months.  He took it and placed at least 7 of 15 within 3" group in the shape of an upside down smiley face...

I said, "Damn, you shoot my gun better than I do."  To which Duke replies, "Well now we know it's not the gun..."

Yeah, I agree got a lot to learn...
Aim small, miss small...

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
"Well now we know it is not the gun ..."

that sounds familiar.  The CZ52 shooting milsurp 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo gives a pretty good bite.  It throws the empty to the next county while making a very loud BOOM that sounds more like a small cannon than a pistol. I am happy if I can place the round within the black area on a silhouette target.  What Duke did, he made a small ammo box (50-rd pistol ammo box) dancing on the ground from  .... 25 yards away !  That's almost like a headshot each and everytime from a 50+ year old milsurp pistol!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top