Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2022 10:21:44 PM EDT
Just saw this on the Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Facebook page. They are opening the Cahaba River WMA Shooting Range this Saturday night from 8pm until 2am for folks to bring their night vision and thermal scoped rifles out to shoot. Someone more tech savvy may be able to post a picture of the post or the link. I’ve never seen them do this before but it sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 3:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I’m definitely going as well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag.

I may try and come out too. Need to go get my WMA permit or whatever again I guess.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Heading that way from clay county. What time y'all gonna be there
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Went out last night at about 9:15

There were three ROs there and about a half dozen other folks.

They were very helpful and everything was set up pretty well. I only had a paper target for 25M, but the closest frames were at 50yds. They did have some steel down for some of the guys trying to get sighted in that they let me shoot on too.

Great experience, Im really impressed with them doing it and it was some good learning.

I was using a PVS14 on a helmet mount and a red dot and learned that setup is pretty hard to use effectively. Gonna have to do some gear swapping to see what I can get to work.

Still, awesome they did this and they had some good guys there. Great to see.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Went out last night and stayed out until about midnight. It was a good time, next time I gotta bring my can. My 13 year old ran through about 350 rounds with my thermal banging the steel targets. Definitely a learning curve for us. Glad they are opening the ranges up for this type of thing, all the RSO’s were obviously having a good time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You really need an IR laser to do what I think you are trying to do.

This is a good beginner/cheap one: https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69192-TLR-VIR-Illuminator-Locating/dp/B07PKW46K4

I was going to go but bitched out.

I have one on my 9mm Carbine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went out last night at about 9:15

There were three ROs there and about a half dozen other folks.

They were very helpful and everything was set up pretty well. I only had a paper target for 25M, but the closest frames were at 50yds. They did have some steel down for some of the guys trying to get sighted in that they let me shoot on too.

Great experience, Im really impressed with them doing it and it was some good learning.

I was using a PVS14 on a helmet mount and a red dot and learned that setup is pretty hard to use effectively. Gonna have to do some gear swapping to see what I can get to work.

Still, awesome they did this and they had some good guys there. Great to see.

You really need an IR laser to do what I think you are trying to do.

This is a good beginner/cheap one: https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69192-TLR-VIR-Illuminator-Locating/dp/B07PKW46K4

I was going to go but bitched out.

I have one on my 9mm Carbine.

I have a DBAL on there with an IR laser, but considering you cant use lasers to hunt with, I chickened out on trying it out there.

I didnt know how the would feel about that LOL.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I doubt they would care. It was an open range deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a DBAL on there with an IR laser, but considering you cant use lasers to hunt with, I chickened out on trying it out there.

I didnt know how the would feel about that LOL.

I doubt they would care. It was an open range deal.

True. And the ROs didnt have any NODs anyway. Secret laser is secret until one of the other shooters says something.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's interesting. I figured they would have some NODs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. And the ROs didnt have any NODs anyway. Secret laser is secret until one of the other shooters says something.

That's interesting. I figured they would have some NODs.

They had red lamp flashlights, but no NODs that I saw.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
One of them had a pvs-7 and let me use it for a few minutes. I know two of them had small thermal monoculars and were using them to make sure no one was down range. Not sure what else they had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top