Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2022 2:27:42 PM EDT
My wife and I have moved to Huntsville.  

What are some good ranges to go too?

We are both Military Active Army me and she is a Retired Marine and current lawyer in the area.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Just realized I do not have a US Flag.  Much change it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Huntsville area:

Swan WMA Creek, Tanner AL, west of Hwy 31/I-65, north of Hwy 72; pistols 25, 50 and rifles 100 yards, skeet trap ranges.

Hurricane WMA Ridge/Wren WMA shooting range, ~13 miles south of Wren, AL in the Bankhead NF; 100 yards

Skyline WMA Range, Skyline AL, 200 yards

Blue and Grey R&P range, Guntersville Dam; 25 and 50 yard pistol, 100 and 200 and rifle ranges.

Madison County Shooting Sports Range, New Market, AL, pistol and skeet trap

Cavern Cove Shooting Range, Woodville/Cathedral Caverns, AL, cowboy shooting  ETA:  In addition: IPSC/USPSA, Steel Challenge matches as well.

Strategic Edge, Chapel Hill, TN; Tier 1 shooting facility, owned and operated by a world class shooter; rifle ranges to 1300 yards, pistol/IPSC matches.  +1 year wait to join, has several training classes you can take.  If you can only go to or join one range in this thread, this is the range you want.

Top Gun indoor range, 5 miles east of Ethridge TN, never been, don't know anything other than their site

Eagle Eye Shooting Range, east of Summertown TN; been by once, looks pretty good, other than that don't know anything other than their site (which is a POS Facebook page).  Looks like pistols and skeet trap only.

I hope this helps.  I prolly forgot a couple.  For example, there's a range north of Dunlap TN but I don't recall the name right now.  Further away, there is a +1000 yard range NE of Pelham TN.  Arnold AFB,TN has a 1000 yard range and holds monthly High Power matches.

NOTE:    The three AL WMA ranges listed above require either an AL hunting license or WMA stamp.  Check their respective WMA range page on the web and make sure you have what each requires!  Get caught by the local Game Wardens and bad things can happen; especially at Swan Creek since the local Game Warden office is just down the street. ETA:
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Morning and welcome to Huntsville. I'm a member of the Blue and Gray range located in Guntersville. Its private, very well maintained, great facility, and a safe place to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread is relevant to me as I'll be moving in within the next 2 months or so.  

Any recommendations for local tactical matches?  I'm looking for IDPA, 3g/multigun, etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to me as I'll be moving in within the next 2 months or so.  

Any recommendations for local tactical matches?  I'm looking for IDPA, 3g/multigun, etc.
View Quote

Cavern Cove in Woodville holds matches all the time.

Head down to Brock’s Gap in Hoover and they have more matches and types of matches.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone.

I am retiring here working on Redstone right now.

The better half is a lawyer so if you nee a Tax lawyer Bared in Alabama...well she is your lady. She does work for the largest Law firm in the US but she does love "the law".
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Head down to Brock's Gap in Hoover and they have more matches and types of matches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Head down to Brock's Gap in Hoover and they have more matches and types of matches.
I didn't know RCPS had reformed over at CC.  I was a member back in the early 90's at their old Arab range.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I didn't know RCPS had reformed over at CC.  I was a member back in the early 90's at their old Arab range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, the landowners either refused to let them renew the lease or jacked the price up around 2010ish.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yea, the landowners either refused to let them renew the lease or jacked the price up around 2010ish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Just checking in to see if anyone knows anything about Range 351 in Athens?
I’ve known of it for years, but haven’t heard anything about memberships/cost/requirements. I’d much rather drive the <10 minutes there than risk my life at Swan Creek 40 minutes away.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've known of it for years, but haven't heard anything about memberships/cost/requirements. I'd much rather drive the <10 minutes there than risk my life at Swan Creek 40 minutes away.
View Quote
"Axe Throwing and live music every Saturday from 6-10pm."  
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've known of it for years, but haven't heard anything about memberships/cost/requirements. I'd much rather drive the <10 minutes there than risk my life at Swan Creek 40 minutes away.
A quick search of Range 351, Athens only produced some FaceBook pages.  I'll take my chances at Swan Creek.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I’m not with a range with a live band. I’ll just keep ducking muzzle sweeps and dealing with the grumpy fish cops at Swan Creek…
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I shoot at swan creek twice a week, the staff are super nice and I’ve never had any trouble there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I shoot at swan creek twice a week, the staff are super nice and I've never had any trouble there.
View Quote
That's great!  The owner of the range I go to is a MASSIVE ASSHOLE!!!!!  

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Doesn’t seem like an asshole at all…looks like he was nice enough to put a nice big steel target out there for you to bang…
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Doesn't seem like an asshole at alllooks like he was nice enough to put a nice big steel target out there for you to bang
View Quote
I know him well enough to know he won't shoot my... uh his tractor!

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Now that is funny.

Trying to get time to go shoot.

It is trying.  I am building a new 12.5 upper and debating on a ACOG or my Steiner S332.  Decisions.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/P2aTazv.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I shoot at swan creek twice a week, the staff are super nice and I've never had any trouble there.

I would tend to agree!  
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I would tend to agree!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would tend to agree!  
You should know!!!!

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You should know!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/9l91Mk3.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would tend to agree!  
You should know!!!!

https://i.imgur.com/9l91Mk3.jpg

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone shot any of the matches at Last Resort?
I'd like to shoot the tactical rifle course they offer on Saturdays. I am not a fan of Last Resort for several reasons, but they seem to be the only place around to shoot matches.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone shot any of the matches at Last Resort?
I'd like to shoot the tactical rifle course they offer on Saturdays. I am not a fan of Last Resort for several reasons, but they seem to be the only place around to shoot matches.
View Quote
Last Resort lost my business when the owner said something along the lines that he supported UBC because it would increase revenue years ago.  Around 2016 but I can't find the thread....
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Last Resort lost my business when the owner said something along the lines that he supported UBC because it would increase revenue years ago.  Around 2016 but I can't find the thread....
View Quote

I know of Russ' comments on UBC's. That, their retarded pricing, and their range policies are why I haven't been there in 6+ years. But I am willing to overlook that in order to get some range time where I can shoot and move.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I know of Russ' comments on UBC's. That, their retarded pricing, and their range policies are why I haven't been there in 6+ years. But I am willing to overlook that in order to get some range time where I can shoot and move.
View Quote
Understood.  There are members here with private ranges.  Maybe they are interested?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top