Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2022 8:47:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always wondered why they don't say what the money is allotted too. If the cause was good, I wouldn't need to be forced, I would gladly keep getting a permit to help.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a dastardly thought - I wonder how hard it would be to see how many sheriffs own exquisite / lavish vacation property in / out of Alabama. I'm not talking about a small cabin or trailer on the river or lake, but McMansions. The ones who squawk the most about the lost income (if not accountable or made public) would be the primary suspects. JMHO.

IIRC, there was an incident a few years back where an Etowah County lawman was using jail cafeteria money to pay for some beach property. Apparently, the law about expenditures / accountability regarding that was vague, but he did it anyway.

Others can chime in if they know better details or have other examples.

Obviously, not all sheriffs and law enforcement are this way.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think they proved the money to buy the beach property came from the jail food fund.

View Quote

And that might be the rub. If a sheriff supplements his income from some sort of program within his county, it might be very difficult to prove he spent it on frivolities (beach / lake houses, etc.) or food, gas, utilities, etc.

I think the best approach, if it doesn't come under control of the state, like the Dept. of Conservation, is to pass a law saying that ALL CCW permits fees are accountable, under threat of incarceration for non-compliance.

JMHO.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:40:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Bullshit.  Law abiding people, like myself, will still pay the extortion payments because I need that permit while traveling to nearby states.  

Criminals will be criminals and will not care about carry laws.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - It's been a month since Governor Kay Ivey signed a bill eliminating the state permit requirement to carry a concealed handgun.
[snip]

Or is it, ya'll have been spending money from a no accountability slush fund on things you really don't want people to know about?

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't they tack on some amendments that created a fund that the sheriff's can access to offset the lost revenue?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Because i do travel to nearby states that have reciprocoty (last trip covered recip from Bama to WY) i will renew. I don't even mind that permit fees might go to some slush fund at the county if they are using it for something legit. I just don't like being forced to pay a tax on a right. That is no different than the old poll taxes for a "right" to vote.

It is still like a poll tax on the interstate level, but fixing that is the next level. My first CCP was like 35 years ago in Talladega county. Then it was a "restricted" permit (restricted meant the permit applied to a single firearm) and the state was "may issue". I honestly never thought we'd ever have permit optional.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Too Bad. So Sad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top