Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2022 3:14:26 PM EDT
My daughter applied to grad school there.
thx
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Prolly ok during the day.

After dark not so much.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It is searchable to see the crime stats for UAB PD. They do a good job of keeping the riff raff off campus.

What buildings will she be in?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

After dark not so much.
View Quote

Worked there 10 years...agreed, but there was one daylight murder within 100 yards of my facility. Hood rat at the adjoining park was pissed that some girl dismissed his advances. His street honor was so bruised that he came back and shot her to death. That was in the afternoon. The only time I've ever had to draw on someone was at 12 noon in the drive through at McDonalds. Crackhead with a knife.

Just a couple of years back, two fellows were not only robbing folks, but got rapey, too. Like rapey on male and female victims.

Tell your kid to keep activities in daylight, the best she can.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Worked there 10 years...agreed, but there was one daylight murder within 100 yards of my facility. Hood rat at the adjoining park was pissed that some girl dismissed his advances. His street honor was so bruised that he came back and shot her to death. That was in the afternoon. The only time I've ever had to draw on someone was at 12 noon in the drive through at McDonalds. Crackhead with a knife.

Just a couple of years back, two fellows were not only robbing folks, but got rapey, too. Like rapey on male and female victims.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After dark not so much.

Are you talking about that Pakistani girl that was killed in the parking lot at Glenn Iris? That was around 06-07 if we’re thinking of the same one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is searchable to see the crime stats for UAB PD. They do a good job of keeping the riff raff off campus.

What buildings will she be in?
View Quote

Optometry school.
She is still waiting to hear from them.  Unfortunately most of the Optometry schools are in cities. NYC, Boston, Chicago, Memphis and Birmingham.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I asked a UAB cop I know, and his response corroborated the responses thus far in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty much covered by most here. Don’t go West of I65, North of I59, south of 11th Ave S or near Red Mountain Expressway to the East. Large public housing adjacent to Red Mountain Expressway. Day time is ok, but stay on Campus at night. If she is living of campus, south is better around I459, west side of Birmingham is not good.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Homeless do wander the area pretty frequently. Between Birmingham PD and UAB PD they're dealt with fairly quickly. That being said, in my experience; UAB students aren't messed with for the vast majority of incidents. The majority of incidents in the area are property crimes like vehicle break ins.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Go do a campus tour.  That's all it took for this dad.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Just a comment, I'm about an hour and a half north of B'ham in Huntsville. If you daughter does come down here don't hesitate to set up a contact network of us folks down here. Many are much closer than I am but we would insist on helping her out should she ever need it. We would help be it car problems, illness, or an emergency.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, I really appreciate that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Linky

Birmingham City. Homcide 2022
Listing by date. #27

January 1: Fernando Jose Cruz-Soto, 20, died at UAB Hospital after being found shot in a parking lot after a reported early morning fight on the 300 block of 24th Street South in the Southside neighborhood. No arrest. (report)
January 1: Timothy Dean Pinson, 32, was found shot to death in a car at the Vida on Valley apartments on the 800 block of Cable Car Court off Valley Avenue in Glen Iris. No arrest. (report)
January 4: Michelle Kemp Gilder, 40, was shot to death in a vehicle on Treadwell Road near Tarrant-Huffman Road, along the northern fenceline of Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport property in Brownsville Heights. Her husband was grazed by a bullet in an apparently targeted assault. Charles Eugene Knight Jr was arrested in February and charged with capital murder and attempted murder. (report)
January 4: Leeco Whittington, 24, died at UAB Hospital from gunshot wounds suffered during an assault at the Citgo gas station at 36 South Park Road Southwest in Central Park. Two suspects fled in a silver sedan. No arrests. (report)
January 7: William Kenneth Kennard, 57, was found shot to death and burned near the intersection of Birmingport Road and Slayden Avenue in Sherman Heights. No arrest. (report)
January 8: Ed Franklin Harris, 49, was shot to death while riding a motorcycle at 16th Way Southwest and Matt Leonard Drive at the border of Powderly and Mason City. Multiple suspects abandoned a vehicle at the scene and fled on foot. No arrests. A person of interest was questioned but not charged. (report)
January 8: Yasmine Wright, 16, was struck and killed by a bullet from the same shooting.
January 12: De'Undray Nakil Haggard, 18, was shot to death on the 2900 block of John Bryan Road in the Kimbrough Homes public housing project in the Industrial Center neighborhood. A 16-year-old suspect was arrested and charged with capital murder. (report)
January 14: Richard Spence, 56, died at Princeton Baptist Medical Center of a gunshot wound suffered during an argument at a nearby house on the 800 block of 7th Street Southwest in Arlington-West End. Clearence Speed Jr was arrested and charged with capital murder. Speed was later also charged with the 2021 murder of 2-year-old Major Turner in Wenonah. (report)
January 28: Javarius Reid, 17, was shot to death on the 2900 block of 16th Street North outside the ACIPCO plant. Investigators believe he was struck by crossfire as the car he was riding in passed near a gunfight. No arrest. (report)
February 5: Chico Guest, 17, was shot to death by a parking lot attendant near the intersection of 10th Avenue North and 18th Street in Fountain Heights. Kambran Tremaine Young was also wounded in the shooting, that was ruled justified as self-defense during an attempted robbery. He was subsequently charged with felony murder as an accomplice in the crime that led to Guest's death. (report)
February 17: Felicia A. Ford, 49, was found shot to death after an apparent domestic incident at an apartment in the Cooper Green Housing Community on the 1700 block of 14th Way Southwest in Mason City. Alton Dewayne Portlock was arrested in Mobile and charged with capital murder. (report)
February 19: Anthony Jackson, 46, was shot to death during an apparent attempted robbery in front of his house at 1745 33rd Street Ensley in Ensley Highlands. No arrest. (report)
February 20: Jeremiah Collier, 16, was found shot to death in a car that rolled into a house at 5116 Court O Ensley (report)
February 20: Todd Lorenzo Johnson Jr, 16, and a friend of Collier's, was found shot to death near the intersection of 57th Street and Avenue P Ensley|Avenue P]]. Investigators believe he was shot while in the same car with and fell while trying to flee on foot. Another male was grazed in the hand, and a possible fourth person fled by foot.
February 20: Yalunda Watts Young, 43, died at UAB Hospital from gunshot wounds suffered in an assault outside the 604 Bar & Lounge at 604 9th Street North in Smithfield. No arrest. (report)
February 21: Joshua Isaiah Carpenter, 26, was found dead after a reported shooting outside an apartment on the 1700 block of 33rd Street North in Norwood. No arrest. (report)
February 22: Demetrius John-Mario Young, 30, was found shot to death inside a house on the 500 block of 83rd Place South in South East Lake. Another man was lightly wounded in a confrontation that escalated to shooting. (report)
February 23: An unnamed male was shot to death by a Birmingham Police officer on the 4300 block of Morris Avenue in North Avondale following a conflict that began near the intersection of 1st Avenue North and 41st Street North. The Alabama State Bureau of Investigation is reviewing the circumstances of the police shooting. (report)
February 24: Marcus Antonio Williams, 50, was found shot to death at the wheel of a car on the 600 block of 1st Street North in Smithfield. No arrest. (report)
February 25: Marquis Antone Black Jr, 22, was found shot to death in a courtyard at an apartment complex at 957 47th Street North in Kingston. The suspected shooter(s) fled the scene in a sedan. (report)
February 26: Navari Deon Jones, 38, was found shot to death in a car which crashed on the 1700 block of 1st Avenue North near Birmingham Police Headquarters in Fountain Heights following a reported shooting at the Tru-Riders Motorcycle Club at 905 Reverend Abraham Woods Jr Boulevard in Smithfield. Two females were also injured by gunfire at the club. (report)
February 26: Nadarrius Lewis, 28, was found shot to death and another man wounded by gunshot outside an apartment in the Forest Hills Village complex at 2600 Tempest Drive Southwest in Garden Highlands. Lewis is believed to have confronted the other man at his ex-girlfriend's apartment. The shooting was ruled a justifiable homicide. (report)
February 28: An unnamed male was found shot to death in a Chevrolet Trax stopped in the emergency lane of I-65 north near the Finley Boulevard exit in North Birmingham. No arrest. (report)
March 1: KeAyron Hill, 26, was found shot to death on the 2100 block of Powderly Avenue in the Jones Valley neighborhood following an altercation. No arrest. (report)
March 5: Jaylon Palmore, 13, was killed in a drive-by assault while sitting on the front porch of his home at 7512 1st Avenue South in East Lake. Another man was injured. No arrest. (report)
March 6: Aven Deione Mitchell, 21, died at UAB Hospital from gunshot wounds sustained in a shooting near the intersection of 13th Street and Avenue V in Ensley. He was found in a car with another wounded man that came to a stop near Birmingham Fire Station 18. No arrest. (report)
Responses
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I work near downtown UAB and it has been fine throughout the day.  Different story at night though.  Just tell her to be aware of her surroundings, especially in parking decks and such.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m 15 minutes away M-F. Get at me if you need anything.

She has no business going to Fairfield, Midfield, Brighton, Lipscomb, Hueytown, or Bessemer. These cities have some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. I have managed warehouses in 2 of the 3 and constantly repair roofs because bullets fall down and puncture the metal roof. No trash service needed, you just dump it on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#18]
UAB has their own police force. Pretty women feel safe enough to walk around so I assume that it's pretty safe.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

She has no business going to Fairfield, Midfield, Brighton, Lipscomb, Hueytown, or Bessemer. These cities have some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. I have managed warehouses in 2 of the 3 and constantly repair roofs because bullets fall down and puncture the metal roof. No trash service needed, you just dump it on the side of the road.
View Quote

Although I agree with most of those, you need to remove Hueytown from that list. And there are probably others that need to be added to that list. Birmingham for one is only safe in the city center. Hueytown(and Hoover) gets picked on by the News media because it is relatively safe and the others on your list have higher crime rates than the News reports because of the Biases of the News Media.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Although I agree with most of those, you need to remove Hueytown from that list. And there are probably others that need to be added to that list. Birmingham for one is only safe in the city center. Hueytown(and Hoover) gets picked on by the News media because it is relatively safe and the others on your list have higher crime rates than the News reports because of the Biases of the News Media.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hoover is seeing the Bessemer trash cause problems.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I’m in downtown Bham multiple times per week in the evening. Riding bikes, eating etc
It’s like any other place. Pay attention to your surroundings don’t buy and sell drugs or be in a gang. You will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 2:49:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks all.  Looks like she eliminated UAB from her list.  She felt that the program was too small and was overshadowed by the med school.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top