Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2022 7:46:40 PM EDT
Constitutional Carry may come up in the house this week.  Be sure to contact your Representative and voice your support.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If constitutional carry passes, what will happen with the state law that says FFLs can transfer firearms to state residents using the CCW in lieu of the 4473? This is NOT to constreu that I am against the constitutional carry. Just wondering....
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it will affect that one way or another.  Maybe someone else will chime in.

You will still need a permit if you're carrying to a reciprocal state.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok. It was my understanding that this bill did away with the CCW entirely but if I understand you correctly, it only makes it so that a person can carry without it if they so choose?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok. It was my understanding that this bill did away with the CCW entirely but if I understand you correctly, it only makes it so that a person can carry without it if they so choose?
View Quote
You won't need a permit in Alabama.  If you travel with your pistol to a reciprocal state, you'll need an Alabama permit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If constitutional carry passes, what will happen with the state law that says FFLs can transfer firearms to state residents using the CCW in lieu of the 4473? This is NOT to constreu that I am against the constitutional carry. Just wondering....
View Quote

Thats moot anyway since some sheriffs were giving CCW permits to their buddies without doing background checks. Its a not a state law that specifically allows that, it is ATF saying they will accept it in lieu of a NICS call.

ATF has said they no longer accept it, NICS call still required.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Getting it out of committee in the house is a big deal, I think Meemaw put out the word she wants to sign something pro-RKBA and most on the R side don't want to get caught in an election year not supporting something perceived as pro-RKBA.

I bet it passes and gets signed this time around.

It reminds me a lot of when we got our first reciprocity bill passed back in 2000 when the same fear of being painted anti-RKBA put a lot of fear even into some D's that time around and it sailed through after having been tanked for several years.

I find it interesting that one R who opposed had the honesty to say it is all about the money.  The thing the LE's protesting it have tried to obfusticate.

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Jones said the requirement is an important tool that comes into play on a daily basis around the state, such as during traffic stops.

“A traffic stop is made. A gun is observed or recovered in some manner, detected in some manner. And it turns out that that individual does not have a permit for carrying it. In many, many instances, the gun may be stolen,” Jones said.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/02/lawmakers-advance-bill-to-end-alabamas-requirement-for-a-concealed-carry-pistol-permit.html

That's a lie.

Very rarely, except if you are dealing with bangers does the gun turn out to be stolen.
View Quote

I saw some sheriff on the news say they had to have permits because this one time, an officer pulled a fellah over, and he pulled a gun from his belt. The sheriff literally said, "if he had a permit we would have known he had a gun."

It was during some rally multiple sheriffs were holding against constitutional carry

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Had an hour car ride down to Hoover this afternoon and listened to the arguments on the way back. The opposition is basically "I can't offer any concrete reasons why, but this will make us unsafe" and "This will be a huge loss of revenue for our hero cops. Why do you want to dEfUnD thE PoliCE?" (from the same party that literally wants to defund the police). Damn, I hope this passes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]
How did the vote turn out?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How did the vote turn out?
View Quote

Haven't voted yet. They are still jaw-jacking.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#16]
It passed! 65 to 37.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Great news, what’s the next step?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm new to AL, so not entirely sure how the procedure works here, but in VA there was a cross-over day where they reconcile the respective bills in the House and Senate, and then on to the Governor's desk to be signed. I'm sure it is similar here.

Do you y'all think Meemaw will sign in? She seems to be pushing her conservative creds hard, so it would be hard for her not to sign in an election year.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Senate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Senate.

I thought it passed the Senate?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My memory may be foggy. I know it passed the Senate last year, I don't recall it passing this year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it passed the Senate?

My memory may be foggy. I know it passed the Senate last year, I don't recall it passing this year.

You are correct. A similar bill was approved in the Senate Judiciary Committee. I was mistaken.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#23]
passed in the senate several times the last few years if I remember correctly, it was always the house that held things up, should be no problem, and I am betting Gov. Memaw will sign it right away in this election year, this is the year to be 100% pro RKBA if you are running for statewide office
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Please contact your State Senator and ask them to vote for HB272.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
And I just renewed mine a few days ago!
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.al.com/resizer/0VenWYGPj5JKDD1Zk6_2oRENxeA=/1280x0/smart/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/advancelocal/FQOFWKW6WZAOVL3Z7VQLAAIWGU.jpg

https://www.al.com/news/2022/02/alabama-kneecapped-its-thin-blue-line-with-a-tire-iron-were-defunding-the-police.html
View Quote

Friends don't let friends read al.com!

I'm cautiously optimistic.  I think its got the best chance of passing this year.

I still won't vote for Memaw, even if she signs CC into law.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone got a link to a rep/senate list for contact info?

I want to spread this around. Hard to believe this made it through the house.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/elected-official-map

Find  your state rep and then google.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your memory has always been foggy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://www.sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/elected-official-map

Find  your state rep and then google.
View Quote

Done.  ????
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Your memory has always been foggy.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#36]

I’m not giving AL dot com a click.  

Anyone know when the bill comes to a vote in the senate?

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#37]
According to the link Bama-Shooter provided, all of my representatives are Democrat.....ALL OF THEM. But I can guarantee you that I did not vote for ANY of them.

So calling any of them about this bill would do absolutely nothing in our favor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
According to the link Bama-Shooter provided, all of my representatives are Democrat.....ALL OF THEM. But I can guarantee you that I did not vote for ANY of them.

So calling any of them about this bill would do absolutely nothing in our favor.
View Quote

Call them snd tell them what your call sign is.   Maybe buy a burner phone first.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Please contact your state senator and ask them to vote for HB272.  It's coming up for a vote by the full senate.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I thought it was coming up today.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like it passed the Senate, so now it's back to the House to be reconciled.  

https://www.waff.com/2022/03/03/senate-votes-allow-concealed-handguns-without-permit/
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#42]
It passed 23-6.  Now back to the House for reconciliation then to the Governor.  Almost there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It passed 23-6.  Now back to the House for reconciliation then to the Governor.  Almost there.
View Quote

Hell yeah. So glad I moved to this state!
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, don't tell the folks "back home" about our state.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this actually happening?  Like a real chance?

Someone pinch me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Rep(s). By Representatives Stringer, Jones (M), McCutcheon, Brown (C), Marques, Oliver, Gaston, Sorrell, Lipscomb, Wilcox, Wheeler, Shedd, Stadthagen, Collins, Treadaway, Estes, Moore (P), Hanes, Smith, Standridge, Robbins, Mooney, Meadows, Whorton, Crawford, Ledbetter, Fincher, Wingo, Holmes, Dismukes, Carns, Isbell, Robertson, Wadsworth, Wood (D), Kiel and HarbisonHB272

ENGROSSED

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT

Relating to firearms; to amend Sections 13A-11-7, 13A-11-50, 13A-11-52, 13A-11-61.2, 13A-11-62, 13A-11-71, 13A-11-74, 13A-11-85, and 13A-11-90, Code of Alabama 1975, to delete certain language regarding the carrying of a visible pistol; to revise certain penalties for carrying weapons unlawfully; to delete certain language regarding the carrying of a concealed pistol; to revise certain restrictions on the carrying or possession of a pistol on private property; to revise certain restrictions on the carrying or possession of firearms at certain locations; to eliminate the requirement for a person to obtain a concealed carry permit to lawfully carry a pistol; to revise the definition of shotgun; to revise language regarding an employee storing a firearm in the employee's vehicle; to require persons to disclose a concealed pistol or firearm to a law enforcement officer under certain conditions; to make nonsubstantive, technical revisions to update the existing code language to current style; to repeal Sections 9-11-304, 13A-11-55, and 13A-11-73, Code of Alabama 1975, relating to the carrying or possession of a weapon, to repeal certain restrictions on the carrying or possession of a firearm on certain property or in a motor vehicle; to provide further for policies of two-year or four-year institutions of higher education regarding firearm possession on grounds of that institution; and in connection therewith would have as its purpose or effect the requirement of a new or increased expenditure of local funds within the meaning of Amendment 621 of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, as amended by Amendment 890, now appearing as Section 111.05 of the Official Recompilation of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, as amended.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF ALABAMA:Section 1. Sections 13A-11-7, 13A-11-50, 13A-11-52, 13A-11-61.2, 13A-11-62, 13A-11-71, 13A-11-74, 13A-11-85, and 13A-11-90, Code of Alabama 1975, are amended to read as follows:

13A-11-7.

"(a) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance, or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he or she does any of the following:

"(1) Engages in fighting or in violent tumultuous or threatening behavior.

"(2) Makes unreasonable noise.

"(3) In a public place uses abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture.

"(4) Without lawful authority, disturbs any lawful assembly or meeting of persons.

"(5) Obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or a transportation facility.

"(6) Congregates with other person in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of law enforcement to disperse.

"(b) Disorderly conduct is a Class C misdemeanor.

"(c) It shall be a rebuttable presumption that the The mere carrying of a visible pistol, holstered or otherwise secured on or about one's person, without brandishing the weapon, in a public place, in and of itself, is not a violation of this section. For purposes of this subsection, "brandishing" shall mean the waving, flourishing, displaying, or holding of an item in a manner that is threatening or would appear threatening to a reasonable person, with or without explicit verbal threat, or in a wanton or reckless manner.

"(d) Nothing in Act 2013-283 shall be construed to prohibit law enforcement personnel who have reasonable suspicion from acting to prevent a breach of the peace or from taking action to preserve public safety.

"13A-11-50.

"Except as otherwise provided in this Code, a A person who, in violation of this article, carries concealed about his or her person a bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description or in a vehicle a pistol or firearm of any other kind or an air gun shall, on conviction, be fined not less than $50.00 nor more than $500.00, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail or sentenced to hard labor for the county for not more than six months guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

13A-11-52.

"Except as otherwise provided in this article, no person shall carry a pistol about his or her person on private property not his or her own or under his or her control unless the person possesses a valid concealed weapon permit or the person has the consent of the owner or legal possessor of the premises; but this section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer in the lawful discharge of the duties of his or her office, or to a United States marshal or his or her deputies, rural free delivery mail carriers in the discharge of their duties as such, bonded constables in the discharge of their duties as such, conductors, railway mail clerks, and express messengers in the discharge of their duties.

13A-11-61.2.

"(a) In addition to any other place limited or prohibited by state or federal law, a person, including a person with a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85, may not knowingly possess or carry a firearm in any of the following places without the express permission of a person or entity with authority over the premises:

"(1) Inside the building of a police, sheriff, or highway patrol station.

"(2) Inside or on the premises of a prison, jail, halfway house, community corrections facility, or other detention facility for those who have been charged with or convicted of a criminal or juvenile offense.

"(3) Inside a facility which that provides inpatient or custodial care of those with psychiatric, mental, or emotional disorders.

"(4)a. Inside a courthouse, courthouse annex, a building in which a district attorney's office is located, or a building in which a county commission or city council is currently having a regularly scheduled or specially called meeting.

"b. For purposes of this subdivision, "courthouse annex" means a building that is either of the following:

"1. A building constructed, purchased, or repurposed as part of a courthouse complex or judicial complex, for so long as the building is actively and regularly used for that purpose.

"2. A building or part of a building that, by order of any presiding judge, is having regularly scheduled or specially called court hearings. A building or part of a building that is a courthouse annex pursuant to this subparagraph shall be a courthouse annex only for the duration of the hearing or hearings and any other related activities that the presiding judge orders necessary.

"(5) Inside any facility hosting an athletic event not related to or involving firearms which is sponsored by a private or public elementary or secondary school or any private or public institution of postsecondary education, unless the person has a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85.

"(6) Inside any facility hosting a professional athletic event not related to or involving firearms, unless the person has a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85.

"(b)(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), and in addition to any other place where possession of a firearm or a pistol is prohibited by federal or state law or may be prohibited pursuant to federal or state law, including, but not limited to, Section 13A-11-52, a person, including a person with a permit issued under Section 13A-11-75(a)(1) or recognized under Section 13A-11-85, may not, without the express permission of a person or entity with authority over the premises, may not knowingly possess or carry a firearm inside any building or facility to which access of unauthorized persons and prohibited articles is limited during normal hours of operation by the continuous posting of guards and the use of other security features, including, but not limited to, magnetometers, key cards, biometric screening devices, or turnstiles or other physical barriers that prevent all persons entering the facility from bringing prohibited items into the facility.

"(2) It is not a violation of subsection (a) or (b) to knowingly possess or carry a firearm at a location described in subsection (a) or (b) if the location is also a sheriff's office that issues pistol permits and the pistol remains inside of a locked vehicle at all times while the person is on the premises.

"(3) Nothing in this subsection otherwise restricts the possession, transportation, or storage of a lawfully possessed firearm or ammunition in an employee's privately owned motor vehicle while parked or operated in a public or private parking area provided the employee complies with the requirements of Section 13A-11-90.

"(c) The person or entity with authority over the premises set forth in subdivisions (1) to (6), inclusive, of subsection (a) and subsection (b) shall place a notice at the public entrances of such premises or buildings alerting those entering that firearms are prohibited.

"(d) Except as provided in subdivisions (5) and (6) of subsection (a), any Any firearm on the premises of any facility set forth in subdivision (1) of subsection (a), or subdivisions (4) to (6) inclusive, of subsection (a), or subsection (b) must shall be kept from ordinary observation and locked within a compartment or in the interior of the person's motor vehicle or in a compartment or container securely affixed to the motor vehicle.

"(e) A violation of subsection (a), (b), or (d) is a Class C misdemeanor.

"(f) This section shall not prohibit any person from possessing a firearm within the person's residence or during ingress or egress thereto.

"(g) Prohibitions regarding the carrying of a firearm under this section shall not apply to law enforcement officers engaged in the lawful execution of their official duties or a qualified retired law enforcement officer. For purposes of this section, qualified retired law enforcement officer shall mean a retired officer who meets all of the following requirements:

"(1) Was separated from service in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer.

"(2) Before separation, was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest.

"(3) Before separation, served as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more and separated from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by the agency.

"(4) During the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual, the state in which the individual resides or, if the state has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the state in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that state.

"(5) Has not been officially found by a qualified medical professional employed by the agency to be unqualified for reasons relating to mental health, and as a result, will not be issued the photographic identification described in subdivision (8) and has not entered into an agreement with the agency from which the individual is separating from service in which that individual acknowledges he or she is not qualified under this section for reasons relating to mental health and for those reasons will not receive or accept the photographic identification as described in subsection subdivision (8).

"(6) Is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.

"(7) Is not prohibited by state or federal law from receiving a firearm.

"(8) Is carrying any of the following identification documents:

"a. A photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

"b. A photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer, and a certification issued by the state in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor who is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that state that indicates that the individual, not less than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, has been tested or otherwise found by the state or a certified firearms instructor who is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that state to have met either of the following:

"1. The active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the state, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

"2. If the state has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that state to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

"(h) Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize the carrying or possession of a firearm where prohibited by federal law.

13A-11-62.

"For purposes of this division, the following terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

"(1) FIREARM. Definition is same as provided in As defined under Section 13A-8-1(4).

"(2) RIFLE. Any weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each pull of the trigger.

"(3) (5) SHOTGUN. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

"(4)(3) SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE. A rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

"(5) (4) SHORT-BARRELED SHOTGUN. A shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

13A-11-71.

"Any person who commits or attempts to commit If any person shall commit or attempt to commit a crime of violence when armed with a pistol, he may, in addition to the punishment provided for the crime, may additionally be punished also as provided by this division. In the trial of a person for committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence, the fact that he was armed with a pistol and had no license to carry the same shall be prima facie evidence of his intention to commit said crime of violence.

13A-11-74.

"The provisions of Section 13A-11-73 13A-11-72(c) shall not apply to marshals, sheriffs, prison and jail wardens and their regularly employed deputies, policemen police officers and other law enforcement officers of any state or political subdivision thereof, or to the members of the Army, Navy or, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Space Force of the United States or of the National Guard, or to the members of the National Guard organized reserves or state guard organizations when on duty or going to or from duty, or to the regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such the weapons from the United States or from this state; provided, that such those members are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practices, or to officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a pistol, or to any person engaged in manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in pistols, or the agent or representative of such a person possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of such pistol manufacturing, repairing, or dealing business, or to any common carrier, except taxicabs, licensed as a common carrier, or to any person permitted by law to possess a pistol while carrying it unloaded in a secure wrapper, from the place of purchase to his or her home or place of business, or to or from a place of repair or in moving from one place of abode or business to another.

13A-11-85.

"(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state. The issuance of a permit to carry a pistol pursuant to Section 13A-11-75 or the recognition of a nonresident license under this section does not impose a general prohibition on the carrying of a pistol without a permit.

"(b) The Attorney General is authorized to may enter into reciprocal agreements with other states for the mutual recognition of licenses to carry handguns and shall periodically publish a list of states which recognize licenses issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75.

13A-11-90.

"(a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), a public or private employer may restrict or prohibit its employees, including those with a permit issued or recognized under Section 13A-11-75, from carrying firearms while on the employer's property or while engaged in the duties of the person's employment.

"(b)(1)A public or private employer may not restrict or prohibit the transportation or storage of a lawfully possessed firearm pistol or ammunition for that pistol in an employee's privately owned motor vehicle while parked or operated in a public or private parking area; provided, that the employee satisfies all of the following conditions:

"a. The motor vehicle is operated or parked in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.

"b. The pistol is either of the following:

"1. In a motor vehicle attended by the employee, kept from ordinary observation within the person's motor vehicle.

"2. In a motor vehicle unattended by the employee, kept from ordinary observation and locked within a compartment, container, or in the interior of the person's privately owned motor vehicle or in a compartment or container securely affixed to the motor vehicle.

"(2) A public or private employer may not restrict or prohibit the transportation or storage of a lawfully possessed firearm legal for use for hunting in Alabama other than a pistol, or ammunition for that firearm, in an employee's privately owned motor vehicle while parked or operated in a public or private parking area if the employee satisfies all of the following:

"(1) The employee either:

"a. Has a valid concealed weapon permit; or

"b. If the weapon is any firearm legal for use for hunting in Alabama other than a pistol:

"i. a. The employee possesses a valid Alabama hunting license;.

"ii. b. The weapon is unloaded at all times on the property;.

"iii. c. It is during a season in which hunting is permitted by Alabama law or regulation;.

"iv. d. The employee has never been convicted of any crime of violence as that term is defined in Section 13A-11-70, nor of any crime set forth in Chapter 6 of Title 13A, nor is subject to a Domestic Violence Order, as that term is defined in Section 13A-6-141;.

" v. The employee does not meet any of the factors set forth in Section 13A-11-75(a)(1)a.1-8; and

"vi. e. The employee has no documented prior workplace incidents involving the threat of physical injury or which resulted in physical injury.

"(2) f. The motor vehicle is operated or parked in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.

"(3) g. The firearm is either of the following:

"a. 1. In a motor vehicle attended by the employee, kept from ordinary observation within the person's motor vehicle.

"b. 2. In a motor vehicle unattended by the employee, kept from ordinary observation and locked within a compartment, container, or in the interior of the person's privately owned motor vehicle or in a compartment or container securely affixed to the motor vehicle.

"(c) If an employer believes that an employee presents a risk of harm to himself/herself himself, herself, or to others, the employer may inquire as to whether the employee possesses a firearm in his or her private motor vehicle. If the employee does possess a firearm in his or her private motor vehicle on the property of the employer, the employer may make any inquiry necessary to establish that the employee is in compliance with subsection (b).

"(1) If the employee is not in compliance with subsection (b), the employer may take adverse employment action against the employee, in the discretion of the employer.

"(2) If the employee has been in compliance with subsection (b) at all times, the employer may not take adverse employment action against the employee based solely on the presence of the firearm.

"(d) If an employer discovers by other means that an employee is transporting or storing a firearm in his or her private motor vehicle, the employer may not take any adverse employment action against the employee based solely on the possession of that firearm if the employee has complied with the requirements in subsection (b).

"(e) Nothing in this section shall prohibit an employer from reporting to law enforcement a complaint based upon information and belief that there is credible evidence of any of the following:

"(1) That the employee's motor vehicle contains:

"a. A firearm prohibited by state or federal law.

"b. Stolen property or a prohibited or illegal item other than a firearm.

"(2) A threat made by an employee to cause bodily harm to themselves or others.

"(f) If law enforcement officers, pursuant to a valid search warrant or valid warrantless search based upon probable cause, exigent circumstances, or other lawful exception to the search warrant requirement, discover a firearm prohibited by state or federal law, stolen property, or a prohibited or illegal item other than a firearm, the employer may take adverse employment action against the employee.

"(g) However, Notwithstanding subsection (f), if the employee has fully complied with the requirements of subsection (b) and does not possess a firearm prohibited by state or federal law, that employee is entitled to recovery as specified in this subsection for any adverse employment action against the employee. If demand for the recovery has not been satisfied within 45 calendar days, the employee may file a civil action in the appropriate court of this state against the public or private employer. A plaintiff is entitled to seek an award of all of the following:

"(1) Compensation, if applicable, for lost wages or benefits.

"(2) Compensation, if applicable, for other lost remuneration caused by the termination, demotion, or other adverse action.

"(h) The license requirements set forth in sections (b)(1)a. and (b)(1)b.i. subdivision (b)(1) are for the purposes of this section only in order to determine whether an employee may transport or store a lawfully possessed firearm or ammunition in an employee's privately owned motor vehicle while parked or operated in a public or private parking area owned by the employer and shall not be construed to otherwise expand the requirements for the lawful possession of a firearm. These requirements shall not be interpreted to mean that the laws of the State of Alabama create any new connection between the possession of a hunting license and the right of a citizen to keep and bear arms.

"(i) Prohibitions regarding the carrying of a firearm under this section shall not apply to law enforcement officers engaged in the lawful execution of their official duties.

"(j) Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize the transportation, carrying, storing, or possession of a firearm or ammunition where prohibited by federal law."

Section 2. The issuance of a permit to carry a pistol pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, Code of Alabama 1975, or the recognition of a nonresident license pursuant to Section 13A-11-85, Code of Alabama 1975, does not impose a general prohibition on the carrying of a pistol without a permit.

Section 3. Any person who knowingly possesses a pistol or firearm concealed on or about his or her person or in a vehicle occupied by the person, and who is asked by a law enforcement officer operating in the line or scope of his or her official duties whether he or she is armed with a concealed pistol or firearm, shall immediately inform the law enforcement officer that the person is in possession of a pistol of firearm.

Section 4. (a) Notwithstanding any provision of state law to the contrary, the governing body of each two-year or four-year institution of higher education may adopt policies governing the possession of firearms or other weapons on grounds owned or controlled by the institution. The governing body may not adopt a policy in conflict with federal law.

(b) A policy adopted under subsection (a) shall allow for individuals not otherwise prohibited from possession of a firearm by state or federal law to possess a firearm and ammunition for that firearm in the individual's privately owned motor vehicle while parked or operated on the grounds of the institution; provided, that the individual satisfies all of the following conditions:

(1) If the firearm is a pistol, the individual is not generally prohibited from possession of a pistol by state or federal law.

(2) If the firearm is any firearm legal for use for hunting in Alabama other than a pistol:

a. The individual possesses a valid Alabama hunting license.

b. The firearm is unloaded at all times on the grounds.

c. It is during a season in which hunting is permitted by Alabama law or regulation.

d. The individual has never been convicted of any crime of violence as that term is defined in Section 13A-11-70, Code of Alabama 1975, nor of any crime set forth in Chapter 6 of Title 13A, Code of Alabama 1975, nor is subject to a domestic violence order, as that term is defined in Section 13A-6-141, Code of Alabama 1975.

e. The individual has no documented prior incidents on the grounds of the institution involving the threat of physical injury or which resulted in physical injury to another.

(3) The motor vehicle is operated or parked in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.

(4) The firearm is either of the following:

a. In a motor vehicle attended by the individual, kept from ordinary observation within the individual's motor vehicle.

b. In a motor vehicle unattended by the individual, kept from ordinary observation and locked within a compartment, container, or in the interior of the individual's privately owned motor vehicle or in a compartment or container securely affixed to the motor vehicle.

(c) It is the intent of the Legislature that constitutionally created boards of trustees of institutions of higher education comply with this section.

Section 5. The following sections are hereby repealed:

(1) Section 9-11-304, Code of Alabama 1975, relating to carrying a pistol on any wildlife management area.

(2) Section 13A-11-50, Code of Alabama 1975, relating to penalties for carrying concealed weapons.

(3) (2) Section 13A-11-55, Code of Alabama 1975, relating to indictments for carrying weapons unlawfully.

(4) (3) Section 13A-11-73, Code of Alabama 1975, relating to possession of an unloaded pistol in motor vehicle.

Section 6. This act shall not be construed to diminish or otherwise limit the power of a law enforcement officer under existing law to detain, investigate, or arrest a person for a violation of law.

Section 7. Although this bill would have as its purpose or effect the requirement of a new or increased expenditure of local funds, the bill is excluded from further requirements and application under Amendment 621, as amended by Amendment 890, now appearing as Section 111.05 of the Official Recompilation of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, as amended, because the bill defines a new crime or amends the definition of an existing crime.

Section 8. This act shall become effective on January 1, 2023, following its passage and approval by the Governor, or its otherwise becoming law.

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's a lie. There is no state wide system that ties in all the CCW permits. You can also only verify permits as being legit during regular sheriff office business hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw some sheriff on the news say they had to have permits because this one time, an officer pulled a fellah over, and he pulled a gun from his belt. The sheriff literally said, "if he had a permit we would have known he had a gun."

It was during some rally multiple sheriffs were holding against constitutional carry

That's a lie. There is no state wide system that ties in all the CCW permits. You can also only verify permits as being legit during regular sheriff office business hours.
@Bama-Shooter, I hope you're doing alright.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top