Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2021 12:19:28 AM EDT
Yes, that Mike Durant. He's running for shelby's seat. No more dueshe bag politicians!!! Mike is a guy I can support.

Durant for Senate
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d support him.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't even know he was an AL resident. I expect him to be a popular choice in AL.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
If Brooks wasn’t in the race I’d lean towards Durant. I’ve been happy with Brooks, so he will continue to get my vote.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I like him but he will just suck votes away from Mo Brooks and allow Katie Britt to win.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like him but he will just suck votes away from Mo Brooks and allow Katie Britt to win.
View Quote

I've only been down here for less than two months from VA. I've been pretty focused on VA politics the past couple years, and haven't followed politics much down here.

What is the deal with Britt? I don't know much about her beyond the billboards and yard signs, and bio on her campaign website.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've only been down here for less than two months from VA. I've been pretty focused on VA politics the past couple years, and haven't followed politics much down here.

What is the deal with Britt? I don't know much about her beyond the billboards and yard signs, and bio on her campaign website.
View Quote

Senator Shelby (once a democrat) is the last of the old school George Wallace right Democrats. He changed to R when the state went that way. He as with many like him tend to want to compromise and work with the Ds. He is the epitome of the school established political machine based in Montgomery. The state has experienced a power shift from south to north. The golden triangle (money/education/population) of Huntsville, Madison, and Athens will now determine Alabama politics. Katy Britt is the Shelby selectee. She has worked for and been integral to his political structure. She has every connection possible from Birmingham south. But no relevance up here.

Brooks and Durant have minimal political influence down south.  Mo Brooks was nearly killed at the congressional baseball game a few years back and his desire to compromise on core conservative issues shows this. He is solid conservative and 100% for the US. Durant is simply a newcomer. Hope he does well. Nothing wrong with Katy Britt. This is more of an Al power shift.  But I'm going with Brooks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Senator Shelby (once a democrat) is the last of the old school George Wallace right Democrats. He changed to R when the state went that way. He as with many like him tend to want to compromise and work with the Ds. He is the epitome of the school established political machine based in Montgomery. The state has experienced a power shift from south to north. The golden triangle (money/education/population) of Huntsville, Madison, and Athens will now determine Alabama politics. Katy Britt is the Shelby selectee. She has worked for and been integral to his political structure. She has every connection possible from Birmingham south. But no relevance up here.

Brooks and Durant have minimal political influence down south.  Mo Brooks was nearly killed at the congressional baseball game a few years back and his desire to compromise on core conservative issues shows this. He is solid conservative and 100% for the US. Durant is simply a newcomer. Hope he does well. Nothing wrong with Katy Britt. This is more of an Al power shift.  But I'm going with Brooks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@axl Thanks brother. I really appreciate the run-down. I should have started paying attention to the political landscape down here a while ago.

You mentioned Huntsville, Madison, Athens determining Alabama politics. Is there any cause for concern that these areas will push the state further left? I've seen first hand what NOVA did to VA after Bush massively expanded the federal govt up there, and my biggest fear is something similar happening to my new home. VA was a safe conservative state for years, until it wasn't.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@axl Thanks brother. I really appreciate the run-down. I should have started paying attention to the political landscape down here a while ago.

You mentioned Huntsville, Madison, Athens determining Alabama politics. Is there any cause for concern that these areas will push the state further left? I've seen first hand what NOVA did to VA after Bush massively expanded the federal govt up there, and my biggest fear is something similar happening to my new home. VA was a safe conservative state for years, until it wasn't.
View Quote

Yes - Huntsville is younger, higher educated, (20k holding engineering degrees) https://www.al.com/breaking/2012/03/huntsville_best-educated_of_al.html, and has a lot of people coming in from very liberal states. It can happen. North Al was the deciding factor that put a democrat in as senator (Doug Jones) because they could not tolerate Roy Moore. But he was really a nut case. Anyway, it can happen. That's why someone from this area needs to be the winner. North Al never was as relevant before. Major power shifts are unsettling. The south won't back off easily from their role as the king maker.

And welcome to Al. Wife has a German Bakery/restaurant just south of the Tenn River. I'm retired now and have 30 plus years playing around in the backwaters and woods. Have three kayaks and three canoes and know lots of great places to camp, hunt, and fish. Stop by sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Katie Britt is just trying to get votes by name recognition and a pretty face right now. I have not seen her talking about issues in any ads. I'm sure she's smart, and Shelby likes her / endorsed her, but DC is a cutthroat arena and Brooks has been there longer and knows the ropes.

Durant might be better serving as a US Representative first.

All comments JMHO.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And welcome to Al. Wife has a German Bakery/restaurant just south of the Tenn River. I'm retired now and have 30 plus years playing around in the backwaters and woods. Have three kayaks and three canoes and know lots of great places to camp, hunt, and fish. Stop by sometimes.
View Quote

Huntsville Native Here - You're post about a German Bakery/Restaurant just south of the River has me interested. Where please?
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Huntsville Native Here - You're post about a German Bakery/Restaurant just south of the River has me interested. Where please?
View Quote

sent IM
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes - Huntsville is younger, higher educated, (20k holding engineering degrees) https://www.al.com/breaking/2012/03/huntsville_best-educated_of_al.html, and has a lot of people coming in from very liberal states. It can happen. North Al was the deciding factor that put a democrat in as senator (Doug Jones) because they could not tolerate Roy Moore. But he was really a nut case. Anyway, it can happen. That's why someone from this area needs to be the winner. North Al never was as relevant before. Major power shifts are unsettling. The south won't back off easily from their role as the king maker.

View Quote

I need to know about this German bakery later.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting analysis!  Thank you.  

I had heard that the Huntsville area was really growing, but I hadn't thought about a shift in political power.  Its bound to happen.  Montgomery is dying, and going to turn into another Birmingham with the crime that is increasing.

FWIW, I had never heard of Katie Britt until she announced her run for the Senate.  I just looked her up and she's from Enterprise and head of the Business Council of Alabama.  I had thought the BCA didn't have the power it once did?

I'm curious to see if Shelby's support is enough?

Quoted:
Katie Britt is just trying to get votes by name recognition and a pretty face right now. I have not seen her talking about issues in any ads. I'm sure she's smart, and Shelby likes her / endorsed her, but DC is a cutthroat arena and Brooks has been there longer and knows the ropes.

Durant might be better serving as a US Representative first.

All comments JMHO.

FWIW, I agree with you about Durant.  Nothing against him, but I would say to make your bones in the House first, then go to the Senate.  I could say the same thing about Katie Britt too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Mike Durant owns Pinnacle Solutions a company that requires you to get the COVID-19 vaccine or be fired. I’m not against someone getting the jab if they want it but forcing your employees to get or else to very un-American in my book. Just my 2 cents on him. I’ve helped organize a Mo Brooks event and to be honest I wouldn’t count on him sticking up much for the 2nd amendment and Katie Britt is a Shelby acolyte so there’s that. All that being said we don’t need more career politicians we need new blood and new ideas so I think we should look to Jessica Taylor
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mike Durant owns Pinnacle Solutions a company that requires you to get the COVID-19 vaccine or be fired. I’m not against someone getting the jab if they want it but forcing your employees to get or else to very un-American in my book. Just my 2 cents on him. I’ve helped organize a Mo Brooks event and to be honest I wouldn’t count on him sticking up much for the 2nd amendment and Katie Britt is a Shelby acolyte so there’s that. All that being said we don’t need more career politicians we need new blood and new ideas so I think we should look to Jessica Taylor
View Quote

I work for a large gov. contractor and the fact is they have to follow the mandate to stay in business.

I know of another large contractor that initially said they wouldnt follow a mandate only to install a mandate later. However that particular company has been very lenient with exemptions. Something on the order of 25% + of their employees have some kind of an exemption.

If Mo wasnt in the race I might be raising money and organizing for Durant. But somehow I get the feeling Durant wouldnt be in the race if Mo wasnt in the race.

I dont even like Mo on a personal level. I think he talks down to his constituents - like we're all complete idiots. However I still trust him to vote primarily in our interest as a conservative.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I work for a large gov. contractor and the fact is they have to follow the mandate to stay in business.

I know of another large contractor that initially said they wouldnt follow a mandate only to install a mandate later. However that particular company has been very lenient with exemptions. Something on the order of 25% + of their employees have some kind of an exemption.

If Mo wasnt in the race I might be raising money and organizing for Durant. But somehow I get the feeling Durant wouldnt be in the race if Mo wasnt in the race.

I dont even like Mo on a personal level. I think he talks down to his constituents - like we're all complete idiots. However I still trust him to vote primarily in our interest as a conservative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt there are any government contracting companies that haven't instituted the vaccine mandate, however lots of them also granted everyone an exemption just for the asking.  The gov modified the contracts leaving them with the choice of following the mandate or go out of business.  Did Durant's company allow exemptions or not, some companies denied all exemptions, most didn't.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I doubt there are any government contracting companies that haven't instituted the vaccine mandate, however lots of them also granted everyone an exemption just for the asking.  The gov modified the contracts leaving them with the choice of following the mandate or go out of business.  Did Durant's company allow exemptions or not, some companies denied all exemptions, most didn't.
View Quote

I understand from a colleague Pinnacle has suspended mandates. I dont work for them so I cant vouch for the veracity of that information.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted: I just looked her up and she's from Enterprise and head of the Business Council of Alabama.
View Quote

That outfit has long been dominated by AL Power Co. and they (business council) were the ones who repeatedly got a lot of the things in our 2013 concealed carry reform stopped multiple times in the legislature before it all finally passed in 2013.

In fact in 2012 I read an article in the BCA publication that bragged about how they had single handedly defeated the "guns in cars at work" legislation in the 2011 and 2012 sessions.....I see no evidence from any source that tells me Katie is actually a hard core RKBA advocate.

I have despised Shelby since he first won in 1982 because of the awful smears he put on Jerimiah Denton during his ugly campaign.  He only changed parties when it became clear he could no longer win the seat as a democrat

Her association with Shelby and BCA are enough of a disqualifier for me.  Down to Durant or Brooks I guess.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Standard responses from politicians.

However, the comments about "broken laws" can apply both ways. For example, what laws were broken during the election, and its results? What laws were broken during the demonstrations (beyond obvious B&E, vandalism, etc.)? Also, remember who is in charge to enforce (or not enforce) laws. Numerous discussions in GD hash this out.

JMHO, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Standard responses from politicians.

However, the comments about "broken laws" can apply both ways. For example, what laws were broken during the election, and its results? What laws were broken during the demonstrations (beyond obvious B&E, vandalism, etc.)? Also, remember who is in charge to enforce (or not enforce) laws. Numerous discussions in GD hash this out.

JMHO, YMMV.
View Quote
So, who are you supporting?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So, who are you supporting?
View Quote

Mo Brooks, based on his experience, as well as knowledge of internal workings of Congress. For the most part, he has answered questions frankly more than politically.

Although Durant has some "promise", as I have stated earlier, I feel he should go with a House of Representatives attempt at this time.

Britt seems to be running on "cuteness" right now. A local radio show today reported that she left lots of Republicans "scratching their heads" over her responses to several questions at a recent Republican meeting, which may be the same meeting as stated a couple of posts earlier. The radio show had a local political "expert' commenting that Britt needs to answer "tough" questions correctly, not typical political banter.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
U.S. senate candidate Katie Britt stopped by the Alabama Republican Party headquarters in Hoover today and answered a question about whether her opponent, U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, should be held responsible for the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol.

"The people who need to be held accountable are the people who broke the law," Britt said in response to a reporter's question. "I believe in personal responsibility, and if you made the choice to break the law, then you should be held accountable."

Durant also answered a question about Brooks and the insurrection. "It's not for me to decide," he said of Brooks' responsibility. "I can say that I disagree with what individuals did. You can't break the law. You can be unhappy with the results. You can voice your concerns. You're free to speak. But you can't break the law. I think that's where they crossed the line, unfortunately."

https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/senate-candidate-katie-britt-speaks-on-jan-6-capitol-rioters-mo-brooks-role.html
View Quote

When I opened this thread, I didn't know who I would be voting for.  Now, it sure as hell won't be Katie Britt.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Britt seems to be too much GOPe for me.
View Quote

My instincts say not to trust her.  She doesn't appear to be open and forthcoming in her answers, which sets off alarm bells.

Mo or Super 64 for me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Mike has turned ownership of his company to the employees. He was at Bama Carry meeting Monday night. Also said anyone bringing him a religious exemption, he would sign it, not him to judge. BC state meeting Feb 19 in Jasper should be good.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I want to know more about candidates running for the Senate and came across this information concerning Durant. Just an FYI

Mike Durant family problems made public.

Durant's-sister-poor-choices-now-haunt-senate-candidate/

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#33]
https://vdare.com/articles/immigration-patriots-need-a-mo-brooks-victory-in-alabama
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://vdare.com/articles/immigration-patriots-need-a-mo-brooks-victory-in-alabama
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Mo has my vote at this point.  Britt seems like an opportunist and Durant is Trying too hard to align with Trump but has never interacted with trump on a political level.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I have heard that Durant's campaign is heavily funded by Never-Trumpers.  I don't think we want to elect a Senator that will act like Congressman Crenshaw.  Mo Brooks is the right guy for the job.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm sticking with Mo.  

Mike Durant is funded by More Perfect Union, the national group orchestrating the charade, was founded by Jake Harriman. The organization's website touts buzz words about "healing" the nation, being "more united," fighting against attacks on "our democracy," easing "partisan tensions," and combating "political extremism." https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/01/trojan-horse-candidate-waging-war-conservatism-alabama/  The Dems are the ones that need to change their positions not the GOP.  We've compromised too much already.

He's a millionaire businessman, has name recognition for his service in Somalia, and says he will support Trump.  I Emailed his website a couple of months ago to inquire his position on issues.  I received no response.  This is worrisome.  If I call or Email a representative or a Senator, I get a response.

With our recent experience with veterans in Congress such as Crenshaw, I'm very wary.  We don't need another McCain in the Senate, especially from Alabama.

As for Katie Britt, her association with Richard Shelby worries me.  Shelby has been too quick to support the Dems on spending.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At this point, I'm with Mo.
View Quote
As am I.  I've voted for him many times thus far and have never regretted it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I really do want to vote for Durant, but I know I have to vote for Mo. Now is not the time to try out a newbie for a senator.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#41]
So I've been thinking about this for a few days now:

What does Durant think he can do that Mo Brooks cant? What can Durant offer above and beyond what Mo Brooks can offer?

I really want to vote for Durant but I just cant. He's a newb and I just dont think now is the time to raise one up.

Would you send a fresh-out-of-flight-school warrant with no combat experience to command and pilot an AH64 in a crucial battle? Or would you send the salty CW5?

(I was Navy, so I probably dicked that analogy all up, but you get the picture)
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Just saw this article on the local news station's website.  I swear, it's almost like Trump is trying to screw this up for us yet again.  For those who don't remember, Trump backing Luther Strange is what got us Doug Jones last time.  

https://whnt.com/news/politics/your-local-election-headquarters/trump-calls-mo-brooks-disappointing-in-alabama-senate-race/
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Folks thought Luther should have prosecuted the Love Gov. I'm not sure what he was supposed to be charged with.

We got Doug Jones because a certain segment hoisted the 10 Commandment Judge on us and then bailed when 40 year ago, not proven sexual allegations were made.

Mo shot himself in the foot by telling folks to move on from the 2020 stolen election at the Trump rally in Cullman. True Trump supporters believe that the election was stolen.

I still like Mo more than the other two. Because I think he closer to a true conservative than the other two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just saw this article on the local news station's website.  I swear, it's almost like Trump is trying to screw this up for us yet again.  For those who don't remember, Trump backing Luther Strange is what got us Doug Jones last time.  

https://whnt.com/news/politics/your-local-election-headquarters/trump-calls-mo-brooks-disappointing-in-alabama-senate-race/

Folks thought Luther should have prosecuted the Love Gov. I'm not sure what he was supposed to be charged with.

We got Doug Jones because a certain segment hoisted the 10 Commandment Judge on us and then bailed when 40 year ago, not proven sexual allegations were made.

Mo shot himself in the foot by telling folks to move on from the 2020 stolen election at the Trump rally in Cullman. True Trump supporters believe that the election was stolen.

I still like Mo more than the other two. Because I think he closer to a true conservative than the other two.

Hell, I believe the election was stolen too but I have to agree with Mo at this point.  We can either sit around complaining about how we were robbed or we can move forward and do everything in our power to be sure that we don't get robbed again.  Sitting around crying in our milk looking like sore losers isn't productive, but It sure seems like that's what Trump expects us to do.

As for the whole Doug Jones thing, I firmly believe that Mo had the R nomination locked up until Trump started trying to push Strange on us.  I could be wrong, but it's my belief that if Trump had chosen to get behind the R candidate we wanted to elect instead of the one he wanted us to elect, Roy Moore would have never been the nominee and we'd have never gotten Doug Jones.  

I dunno, it's a shitshow any way you look at it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Hell, I believe the election was stolen too but I have to agree with Mo at this point.  We can either sit around complaining about how we were robbed or we can move forward and do everything in our power to be sure that we don't get robbed again.  Sitting around crying in our milk looking like sore losers isn't productive, but It sure seems like that's what Trump expects us to do.

As for the whole Doug Jones thing, I firmly believe that Mo had the R nomination locked up until Trump started trying to push Strange on us.  I could be wrong, but it's my belief that if Trump had chosen to get behind the R candidate we wanted to elect instead of the one he wanted us to elect, Roy Moore would have never been the nominee and we'd have never gotten Doug Jones.  

I dunno, it's a shitshow any way you look at it.
View Quote
I can't support Durant or Britt at this point.  Mo is getting my vote for now.  And I agree on the Strange theory.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Durant disarm the population?

WTF? Another Crenshaw or McCain?
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes, that Mike Durant. He's running for shelby's seat. No more dueshe bag politicians!!! Mike is a guy I can support.

Durant for Senate
View Quote

I am not a big fan of Durant. Seems like a nice guy but he is not a good supporter of the 2nd amendment.

He believes in citizen disarmament without due process.The no fly list is a joke

policy questions

And disarmament in general to stop crime.
https://yellowhammernews.com/7-things-mike-durant-made-anti-gun-comments-in-2011-tim-james-targets-lgbtq-charter-schools-drag-show-and-more/

I thought about voting for Durant but now I am back on Moe Brooks. I have a feeling more about Durant will be coming out soon. He is the new meat for the dogs since the polls have him in the lead.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#50]
So right now I'm still with Mo.

Saw Britt in person and her whole talk was on point and energetic.  May get around to posting vid later.

I'd like to see Durant talk.  So far all I've seen is ads that say "Trump good, Biden bad, vote for me" and " I'm a veteran and I like Trump, vote for me".  There's also his prior statements on civil disarmament being a positive step toward law and order, with the only objection being that it would be hard/costly due to uprisings.   Let's face it, Reagan, Bush, and Trump weren't friends to the 2a, but I feel much better about Mo or Britt on this one than Durant.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top