Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2021 12:38:34 AM EDT
Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signs year-round daylight saving time bill

Gov. Kay Ivey has signed a bill that would put Alabama on daylight saving time year-round if Congress amends federal law to allow states to do that.

The legislation came to the governor after near unanimous support among state lawmakers.

The Alabama House passed the bill 93-1 on May 6. The Senate had approved it by a vote of 29-0.

The sponsors are Sen. Steve Livingston, R-Scottsboro, and Rep. Ritchie Whorton, R-Owens Cross Roads.

“You go from March to November, one sort of time and switching to another time, it’s hard for folks to get used to the change,” Whorton said last week when the House passed the bill. “A lot of people not used to getting up to the morning, running late and having an accident.”

The United States has changed time twice-yearly for more than a century. Daylight saving time begins on the second Sunday in March. Clocks are set back one hour to standard time on the first Sunday of November.

The Alabama legislation is similar to bills or resolutions passed by 15 other states in the last four years, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Georgia and Louisiana adopted bills last year.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#1]
It shows you how broken Congress is when they can't even introduce and pass a bill to end the time change.  Its got to be the one thing that has bipartisan support and should be a slam dunk.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#2]
DST is raciss.

I'm sure some kongress kritter will bring it up if it ever gets to be a "serious" debate.

JMHO
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What gets me is that it takes an approval from the U.S. Congress for it to be put into effect. How about you just let states do it how they want. Why does it take Congress' approval to do it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What gets me is that it takes an approval from the U.S. Congress for it to be put into effect. How about you just let states do it how they want. Why does it take Congress' approval to do it?
View Quote

I don't get it either. I thought there were already states that ignored the time change (Indiana?).
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
wait.  essentially putting the whole state into Eastern time zone?
except then, GA/NY and the rest of the Eastern time zone states that are all EAST of AL, will then, for 1/2 of the year, be an hour BEHIND Alabama?

wtf fucking morons.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
wait.  essentially putting the whole state into Eastern time zone?
except then, GA/NY and the rest of the Eastern time zone states that are all EAST of AL, will then, for 1/2 of the year, be an hour BEHIND Alabama?

wtf fucking morons.
View Quote

Eastern Time will Never be Behind Alabama. During DST the East will be 1 hour ahead of Alabama. During Standard Time, the time will be the same.

Changing clocks twice a year is Stupid.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It didn't stop Arizona from ending DST.  Just to make things sporty, the Navajo nation does observe DST, so they are on MDT when the rest of AZ is on MST.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top