Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2021 11:58:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I pay $37.50 for the 5 year, in Jefferson County. A lifetime permit sounds nice.....not with any other bullshit attached to it, though. But Constitutional carry sounds even better.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I pay $37.50 for the 5 year, in Jefferson County. A lifetime permit sounds nice.....not with any other bullshit attached to it, though. But Constitutional carry sounds even better.
View Quote

I hope y'all eventually get Constitutional carry!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Constitutional would be great, but this is awesome in it's own way. You still need a permit to carry out of state (other state willing). So this will be great for me. My 5 year expires in November this year and I frequently travel to MS and TN.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Tennessee now makes it 19 states with permitless carry and West "by God" Virginia removes sales tax from gun and ammunition purchases.

What does Alabama do......raise the price for permits for most people in the state.  In addition county sheriff's continue to keep 100% of one and five year permits only sharing the lifetime fee.  

At least they could have made lifetime carry permits free for us old people like our hunting and fishing license.

The only reason for me purchasing a lifetime permit is for travel purposes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tennessee now makes it 19 states with permitless carry and West "by God" Virginia removes sales tax from gun and ammunition purchases.

What does Alabama do......raise the price for permits for most people in the state.  In addition county sheriff's continue to keep 100% of one and five year permits only sharing the lifetime fee.  

At least they could have made lifetime carry permits free for us old people like our hunting and fishing license.

The only reason for me purchasing a lifetime permit is for travel purposes.
View Quote

That's the thing I don't get. I can hardly believe that the county sheriff departments rely that heavily on the money they make from CCW permit fees. There's not that many people living in this state. And, yes, there are a LOT of gun-toting, freedom-loving Americans in this state. But I don't believe they make THAT much money from the permit fees.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I may go for a lifetime one. I haven't bought one since I moved back because it's $20 in Morgan county. Hell, SC is cheaper than that depending or where you go for you training. After that, it's only $50 every 5 years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:That's the thing I don't get. I can hardly believe that the county sheriff departments rely that heavily on the money they make from CCW permit fees.
View Quote

I think the real important thing to them is that there is no real accountability for the permit fees.  It is a pure slush fund the sheriff's can spend on anything they want to.  It is not part of their budget that is allocated from the county funds.  Nobody can tell them what to do with that money.

It is disgraceful that there are now 20 states with constitutional carry and we are not one of them.  I mean even Iowa and Kansas!
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think it's the amount - though in Autauga county , it's $20 per carrier so not an insignificant amount - it's the fact that state law puts that money
in the complete control of the Sheriff.  And I'm sure "law enforcement" can have a very broad meaning

Section 45-1-231
Collection and disposition of pistol permit fee.
In Autauga County, the fee for issuance of a permit to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about the person as provided in Section 13A-11-75,
shall be twenty dollars ($20), which shall be collected by the sheriff and deposited in any bank located in Autauga County into a fund designated the Sheriff's Fund.
The fund shall be drawn upon by the sheriff and used exclusively for purposes of law enforcement in the discharge of the sheriff's office as the sheriff sees fit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's $10M+ a year in total. That's a lot of money.
View Quote

Nice to know the sheriff's would rather have cash than honor their oath and violate the people of  their county's rights.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the real important thing to them is that there is no real accountability for the permit fees.  It is a pure slush fund the sheriff's can spend on anything they want to.  It is not part of their budget that is allocated from the county funds.  Nobody can tell them what to do with that money.

It is disgraceful that there are now 20 states with constitutional carry and we are not one of them.  I mean even Iowa and Kansas!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I hadn't thought about that. And knowing that, now, it makes sense as to why they're all against it. They don't want to lose their extra money they have to answer for.

Quoted:

Holy hell.....I had no idea it was that much. Daaaaaaaamn!

Quoted:
Problem is your local county commissioners know the sheriffs use the funds to supplement their budget shortfalls.

Give issuing CCW permits to ALEA, Shall Issue (at current law), all funds from permits go to Game & Fish for development/maintain public ranges, and Constitutional Carry.

Boom!

See, that makes sense. But politicians aren't known for making that much sense. At least, not traditionally. We can still hope, though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's only a lot when you add it all up, and it doesn't get used that way. Going off my own county, Limestone, and using rough numbers, the pistol permit revenue is equal to roughly 2.5% of the Sheriff's Department budget. No doubt they would feel the loss, but it's not like they aren't going to be able run their vehicles or anything.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nice to know the sheriff's would rather have cash than honor their oath and violate the people of  their county's rights.

View Quote
Even the best dental plans have copays.

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Any news about this?  I just e-mailed my Rep this morning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top