Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2021 8:59:38 PM EDT
Greetings all. First time poster but I'm a decades long lurker. If you have been to any the recent North ALHTF meet ups that @reddog_3d has planned, then you have met me. If you haven't been to the meet ups, reddog and @wobbs have referred to me as associate_c a couple times.

Anyway, the meet ups have made me think about other ways to organize, prepare and network. To that end, I've started rucking regularly with the goal achieving the APC ratings. Reddog has started rucking with me and I'm hoping to get enough interest to start an APC affiliate.  

If you think that's something you might want to participate in then I'm inviting you to join us on our weekly Sunday afternoon ruck. We go 6 miles but can set up our route to accommodate folks who want to work up to that. PM me for details about specific time and location.

Thanks, RS
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Actual photo of Reddog_3D on a ruck

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The Rocket City Ruck Club (Facebook Group Link) is a Northern Alabama GoRuck-affiliated Club. We have occasional club events, and several people doing their own workout schedules. They have a couple Pathfinder Ruck Training small-group leaders in the club, too.

Feel free to join the club! The Bataan Death March Memorial is virtual this year. You can Run, Walk, and/or Ruck either 26 or 13 miles. We are going to do it as a group probably April 16 Friday night, most likely in Decatur on a 5-mile course.

I think there is a Steel City Rucking Club for central Alabama.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Rocket City Ruck Club (Facebook Group Link) is a Northern Alabama GoRuck-affiliated Club. We have occasional club events, and several people doing their own workout schedules. They have a couple Pathfinder Ruck Training small-group leaders in the club, too.

Feel free to join the club! The Bataan Death March Memorial is virtual this year. You can Run, Walk, and/or Ruck either 26 or 13 miles. We are going to do it as a group probably April 16 Friday night, most likely in Decatur on a 5-mile course.

I think there is a Steel City Rucking Club for central Alabama.
View Quote

Is there a site for us rubes that refuse to have anything to do with FB?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 2:53:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I may have to get involved with one of these
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 2:54:05 AM EDT
[#5]
no idea why it keeps double tapping
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Actual photo of Reddog_3D on a ruck

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/l6I8mJU__1_-92.gif
View Quote

.... And we haven't rucked near the water since.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I don't do instatwitface
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sadly, GoRuck and most of its clubs are FB based. They have InstaGram presence if you're on that.

Pathfinder is not FB based. Nor is Bataan. You can sign up for GoRuck events here. GoRuck also has monthly things; this month is Selma 54.

People interested can PM me, and I'll send you the club events when they happen.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump for this Sunday's ruck. With all of yesterday's rain our usual location might be swamped. I'll pm a time and location update on Saturday to all those who showed interest.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I cant do the Saturday meet-up, but I can do the ruck this Sunday.

Barring, of course, mud pits and bobcats....
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Updated location and time sent out. If you expected a pm from me but didn't get one, let me know. I seem to have trouble operating messenger from my phone.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Enjoyed the ruck. Nice to meet y'all and appreciate you letting an old guy tag along. looking forward to next week. Recommend some of you guys try it next week. Good company and beautiful scenery.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Enjoyed the ruck. Nice to meet y'all and appreciate you letting an old guy tag along. looking forward to next week. Recommend some of you guys try it next week. Good company and beautiful scenery.
View Quote

Thanks for joining us and bringing the awesome pastries! Looking forward to next week as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#14]
To me part of this ruck thing is to learn about things like how to pack my rucksack, how to wear it, pacing, etc.

Thanks @RickSmaugh for the motivation and finding these cool places.

And thanks @axl for the wise and insightful lesson - "There is no hill, only left foot..."
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Wasn't even aware this was a thing, but I'm definitely interested in some future events.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Weekly bump. May be sketchy getting in this Sunday's ruck with the weather forecast. I'll post an update tomorrow evening.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Weekly bump. May be sketchy getting in this Sunday's ruck with the weather forecast. I'll post an update tomorrow evening.
View Quote

Looks like it will be OK.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Looks like it will be OK.
View Quote

Yup. Looks like tomorrow afternoon will be alright. Same place and time as last weekend. We will be able to stay off the asphalt this time.

Anyone who wants to join us PM me. Come get acquainted with your left foot and your hip flexors.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Great march, little windy on the river but scenery was really nice. Pace was challenging for an old guy but we moved right along. Enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Weekly bump. I won't be rucking this Sunday because of family Easter festivities, but will be back at it next week. Pm me if interested in joining the group.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Another weekly bump. It looks like Sunday will be nice weather. I'm planning on doing the same place and same time as two weeks ago. If you haven't been before, send me a pm for specifics.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

holymoly. and i'm supposed to be a graphics artist.

sometimes you dont think a png be like it is, but it do

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#23]
What time? Was it 3:00 or 3:30?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember 3:30.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Yup. 3:30.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Got it - its that old man thing again. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#27]
just bumping this up - come on a join us.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Good ruck.

I bumped my pack up to 30lb. Smaugh is at 45lb. Axl, well, he's at whatever he damn well pleases. ;)

We are now consistently under 20 min / mile over the whole 6 miles.

If you've been wondering if you should join us, you should join us!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good ruck.

I bumped my pack up to 30lb. Smaugh is at 45lb. Axl, well, he's at whatever he damn well pleases. ;)

We are now consistently under 20 min / mile over the whole 6 miles.

If you've been wondering if you should join us, you should join us!

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/tumblr_lka9rhi8aT1qadbq2o1_400_GIF-121.gif
View Quote

You hung in damn good after skipping a few. Makes a difference. I feel it today though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I swear, I'm going to make one of these eventually
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I swear, I'm going to make one of these eventually
View Quote

No reason not to. The exercise is good, scenery really nice, the company outstanding (especially the old guy) and let's you know you there are other folks like you locally.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No reason not to. The exercise is good, scenery really nice, the company outstanding (especially the old guy) and let's you know you there are other folks like you locally.
View Quote

Wait. Are you calling me old?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#33]
You're just one of those youngsters in his fifties.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know, only reason I haven't is it's turkey season...
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I know, only reason I haven't is it's turkey season...
View Quote

So... 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon gets in the way of turkey season?????
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#36]
When you add it all up...yep.

Drive time there and back makes it 4hrs for me.

I only get to hunt on the weekends, if i get to hunt. If I don't get to go on saturday, I'm doing everything I can to go at some point on Sunday

Last, but not least...Turkey hunting is in my top 5 of things to do. I only get 6wks out of the year to do it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Theres turkeys on the ruck.

Well, if you dont count me, they're domesticated.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Weekly bump! Rucking on Saturday this week to avoid interfering with mother's day plans. Pm me for time and place.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Bump! Rucking Saturday morning. PM me for time and place.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm still trying to make it to these. I had a graduation to attend this morning. Is the change to Saturday looking like a permanent one?
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to make it to these. I had a graduation to attend this morning. Is the change to Saturday looking like a permanent one?
View Quote

Yes, we're trying to set the rucks for Saturday morning now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes, we're trying to set the rucks for Saturday morning now.
View Quote

Perfect, thanks!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Weekly bump for Saturday morning ruck. We'll be trying a new location in south Huntsville this week. Pm me for details if you're interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top