Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2021 3:00:44 PM EDT
With the talk in GD and Team about the servers being hosted by Amazon and the possibility of the forum being taken down, do we have an alternative website to meet at or any other forms of communication we can contact each other through?

I believe a moderately active competition shooter in the Huntsville area still hosts Shootability. I don’t know if his forum could handle a big influx.

Any other ideas, thoughts, or suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m up for having a backup, not to mention I’d like to get involved with more HTF events since my work schedule has improved.
Has anyone looked into an Alabama chapter of the American Pioneer Corps? I was going to start a separate thread on it.
Edit: I’m in Limestone County. A CMP meetup would be nice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
PM me if you want my phone number
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PM me if you want my phone number
View Quote

Sure thing.

@RedDane you put on a great crawfish boil HTF meet a few years back.

I keep wanting to get everybody out to the Talladega CMP Marksmanship Park but haven’t gotten much traction.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m in Hoover. I’m down for CMP or Cahaba WMA. I’m doing some work this week and I’ll need to test some stuff out soon.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m in vestavia. Haven’t been very active in my shooting hobbies for the last couple of years with two new kiddos being born, but I’m a member at Brocks Gap and knocked some dust and rust off last weekend.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
A CMP meet-up would be good
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in Huntsville.

I've ordered Boafeng radios and intend to study for license. I remember little to nothing from A-school (Avoinics Tech).

I do believe we need a meet-up ASAP. I'm willing to travel as far south as Bham. Further if necessary.

I can imagine a North Alabama convoy to somewhere middle.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
In Tuscaloosa. Have several friends interested in this.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Lets do this.

With arfcom getting shutdown I need to get serious about networking with like-minded individuals.

I think any old park will do. Out of convenience, theres a park near me called Brahan Spring park. Theres a shitty little walking park off Airport / Johnson apparently called Madison County Par Course.

Theres Green Mountain

Theres Monte Sano

Theres bars.

Lets pick something asap near us, then figure out how to hook up with folks south (or even north in TN).

Ideas?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve met a lot of you guys at the shoots and have known some of you personally for years. That’s just a disclaimer to anyone that doesn’t know me from a face to face meeting. Pm me if you’d like to trade numbers. I’m not the type to call at odd hours or send you weird texts (unless you want me to ;)). Aside from that I’ve got a couple of portable ham sets that I’m learning about as a SHTF fallback.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
There have already been a few Signal and Telegram groups setup to maintain comms for some of long running GD threads. Maybe at a minimum the AL hometown folks do the same?

Edit* I’m just south of Cullman.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Zoom works for me

Date and time?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
If I may - I would recommend having both a primary and secondary channel. I would also look for something that is encrypted end to end and depending on what is being shared conversations can be purged not that it is 100%.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
My concern is apparently both signal and telegram want a phone number. My phone number is directly tied to me. Lets pretend both signal and telegram are breached, or even have a back door, that phone number goes back to me.

Unfortunately I dont know another way, but right now I'm leaning toward Signal.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m a member of another group from the GD and we went Telegram as a primary and Signal as the secondary. We weighed all of the possible issues and that is where we ended up.

I’m also investigating a few peer to peer pc/Mac based options as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I am also interested in this.  Huntsville area.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Southside/Rainbow City area here.  I'm down for meeting up and getting to know some local Patriots.  The Hometown section of this forum should be booming right now.  Network with your fellow Patriots, we're gonna need this line of comms between us.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am also interested in this.  Huntsville area.
View Quote

Same. New to the area. Need to meet some of you bastards.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#20]
The site just got deplatformed -

Goatboy - Deplatformed
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
With the talk in GD and Team about the servers being hosted by Amazon and the possibility of the forum being taken down, do we have an alternative website to meet at or any other forms of communication we can contact each other through?

I believe a moderately active competition shooter in the Huntsville area still hosts Shootability. I don’t know if his forum could handle a big influx.

View Quote

You can hit me up on the other side if ya need.  Damn what a small world!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I know this degenerate
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:52:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, where and when?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm free this weekend.

I can be at the Cahaba WMA any time after say, 10am (I'd have to leave HSV by 8am to be there).

If we meet up are we shooting? I havent had a chance to try my CMMG 22lr conversion kit.

[edit] I think the sooner we can get together the better. My poor Sun Tsu quote: The successful warrior does not hesitate in victory
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#26]
New member here, Longtime lurker,  Southside area, retired LEO, disgusted and furious with what America is headed for. If and when "IT" happens will contribute however I can. Body worn down and surgically repaired (somewhat) from years of sports and law enforcement. Never in my 64 years would I have once thought our republic would have been  turned into what it is becoming. We and our founding fathers have been betrayed. This cannot stand.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Tannehill State Historical Park is a good place.  At farley field they have several pavilions to rent, and lots of space.  The military vehicle club I belon to has an annual rally and swap meet there every November.  Farley also has camper hookups.  http://www.tannehill.org/
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Centreville AL since July when I moved back to AL from GA. Definitely agree that local contacts need to be established.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok. How do we set up a communication system?

Do we get email, phone numbers, or set up dead drops and mark a garbage can at Vulcan Park when we have a message to send out?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok. How do we set up a communication system?

Do we get email, phone numbers, or set up dead drops and mark a garbage can at Vulcan Park when we have a message to send out?
View Quote

I read that as a "cabbage can."

Was wondering where I'd find a can of cabbage.

So, I havent started studying for my Technicians license, but as I understand it every licensed ham operator has a call sign (KMG365) (bonus points if you recognize that one).

Seems to me, since its readily available right now anyway, post your call sign here. Then maybe make a specific day to reach out to each other?

Or maybe thats not how this works. I'm not entirely sure how this works.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Emergency!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#32]
+5 to @HeyCoach !
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm KM4LNA. I only have 2m radios. I could reach into Huntsville from house but that's about it. Radio to radio with 2m you are pretty much limited to line if sight without a repeater. Talking through a repeater is not something I really care about doing. That is just me personally.

I am studying up to get my general license (missed it by 2 questions when I took tech) so that will open HF(high frequency)  which can allow Huntsville to Birmingham comms and even farther.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm down for a meet, but cannot this weekend. I'm on quarantine due to potential exposure. Can't get tested till Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

CALL SIGNS are a matter of record, and can easily be linked to names and addresses.
Doxxing is alive and well right now, just a thought.

Carry on.
View Quote

Thats why I said "...readily available right now..."

Theres nothing available right now that cannot already be accessed. Should SHTF happen, callsigns would theoretically be useless. Who needs call signs when theres no law?

There should be ZERO expectation that we are currently, even without call signs, anonymous on arfcom. "They" already know who we are and if they want to doxx us, its not terribly difficult if they want to.

Besides, I was just thinking about the obvious. Is there something less obvious, that you would post here, by which we could ID friendlies?

I'm not trolling, I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm open to other options.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:26:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Best solution i see is an old fashioned phone tree.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:54:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I wasn't criticizing, just stating for the record in case someone else hadn't considered it.
Hence the " carry on".......
If people are comfortable posting their own personal info that's their prerogative.
Eta: i would rather im folks my call sign or provide it ftf than post it on the open forum, but that's me.
View Quote

Please dont think I was trying to be contrary. I'm not. I just hadnt seen (or missed, as is usually the case) another option.

You provided one and it makes way better sense than my suggestion.

In the other thread about getting together and going over Ham somewhere in Bama (I think @bamashooter is trying to arrange something), if and when that comes together would be a good time to trade call signs?

I'm convinced Ham will be the only thing even remotely secure, and still not 100%
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Theres nothing available right now that cannot already be accessed. Should SHTF happen, callsigns would theoretically be useless. Who needs call signs when theres no law?

There should be ZERO expectation that we are currently, even without call signs, anonymous on arfcom. "They" already know who we are and if they want to doxx us, its not terribly difficult if they want to.

Besides, I was just thinking about the obvious. Is there something less obvious, that you would post here, by which we could ID friendlies?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CALL SIGNS are a matter of record, and can easily be linked to names and addresses.
Doxxing is alive and well right now, just a thought.

Carry on.

True, the government probably already has us pegged. But it would make it easier for the Random Crazies to target you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#42]
How is this idea since we have members scattered from Huntsville down to Mobile, Mobile members can’t take a day to drive to Birmingham for lunch or Huntsville members drive to Montgomery for a meet, etc:

Divide Alabama into 3 sections, North, Central, and South, have a known, vetted member step up and gather contact information of their choosing from members in their area.

We can use this as a way to get one big gathering/shoot for each section or have all sections come together for some event or meeting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How is this idea since we have members scattered from Huntsville down to Mobile, Mobile members can’t take a day to drive to Birmingham for lunch or Huntsville members drive to Montgomery for a meet, etc:

Divide Alabama into 3 sections, North, Central, and South, have a known, vetted member step up and gather contact information of their choosing from members in their area.

We can use this as a way to get one big gathering/shoot for each section or have all sections come together for some event or meeting.
View Quote

I like it.

However, I must say, I really feel a huge nagging sense of urgency.

I know we all mill about in GD, surf EE, etc., but I think it should be priority to check HTF just as often as we do GD.

If I could make a meeting happen in an hour I'd do it, thats how quickly I think it needs to happen.

If we dont get a network going ASAP I'm afraid it'll be too late.

In fact, if you're in Huntsville proper, PM me and lets see if we can arrange something for tomorrow evening. I'm even up for breakfast somewhere if necessary.

I just have this sickening feeling it'll be too late very soon.

[edit] I'm fully aware I might be overreacting
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#44]
@reddog_3d would you like to be the northern sectional leader, for lack of better term?

I know there are a ton of individuals in the central area, would anybody like to volunteer?

Anybody want to step up for the lower Alabama section?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@reddog_3d would you like to be the northern sectional leader, for lack of better term?

I know there are a ton of individuals in the central area, would anybody like to volunteer?

Anybody want to step up for the lower Alabama section?
View Quote

Sure. I'm not sure about "leader", but I'm happy to try to get the ball rolling / coordinate.

I'll start another thread later this evening inviting NoAla folk to get together.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I like it.

However, I must say, I really feel a huge nagging sense of urgency.

I know we all mill about in GD, surf EE, etc., but I think it should be priority to check HTF just as often as we do GD.

If I could make a meeting happen in an hour I'd do it, thats how quickly I think it needs to happen.

If we dont get a network going ASAP I'm afraid it'll be too late.

In fact, if you're in Huntsville proper, PM me and lets see if we can arrange something for tomorrow evening. I'm even up for breakfast somewhere if necessary.

I just have this sickening feeling it'll be too late very soon.

[edit] I'm fully aware I might be overreacting
View Quote

Contact info sent
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i think a free zoom account will host 100 people for 40 min. we could schedule a few calls
View Quote

Zoom is is hosted by AWS and has a large workforce centered in China.
There are definite cyber concerns and calls are monitored.
Zoom is good for family get togethers but not good for identity protection or having fun meetings.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm in Etowah county, but I can recommend Turnipseed Campground in the TNF as an awesome place to meet.  It's big enough for a lot of folks to show up, you can camp and hike there too.  Wife and I used to practice Land Nav with Turnipseed as our starting point.  I guess I'm old school, but I like to write my contacts down in a little black book, as opposed to storing them on my device.  Sharing contact info is a great start to building a communication network.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#50]
This lays out a good visual.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top