Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2020 1:15:08 PM EDT
Grandson just moved to area and I'm curious.  From big city Philadelphia, PA to New Hope.  Will miss him because he would look in me and grandmom every once and a while.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm just up the road in Huntsville. They don't call it "No Hope" for nothing. Seriously, there's not much there, but it's so close to Huntsville, it's might not be so horrific.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It’s a pretty decent looking rural area. We’ve played a football game there and it seemed like a traditional southern town.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...it seemed like a traditional southern town.
View Quote

Translation: They don't like Yankees (at least the ones who come in and say "back home. we did it this way"

Good luck to him. Come see him when you can.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If I remember correctly, they've got a Dollar General and a Hardees. He should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Not far from Lake Guntersville, if he likes watersports (boating, skiing , fishing)
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah.  Locals really love to be told how it should be done.

People in general will be very polite and courteous.  If he upsets the locals then everyone will know soon enough.  Just tell him to be polite and talk to people.  He'll do fine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.  My wife and I will hope the experience is a good one for him.  He lived with us for a little over three years starting at 6 months.  Father was a druggie and he, his Mom and older brother lived with us.  Again, Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly, they've got a Dollar General and a Hardees. He should be fine.
View Quote

Don't forget the Piggly Wiggly!
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems there was a little mom and pop meat n 3 near their football stadium.

It may or may not have a gas station attached to it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Lived there for 3 years 2011-2014. Very friendly folks. Close enough to Huntsville but also close to lake Guntersville. I enjoyed my stay there. Good country restaurant on 341 at Ed Spears rd, or was
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 2:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I lived out that way in the 80s. That where I went to school for K-5. I couldn't tell you hat it's like now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I live near there and grew up one town south of there.

Not really sure how I'd describe it so it would make sense to you.  Definitely more like the Pennsyltucky part of your state than Philly. The public schools are good by Alabama public schools standard.

Current Philadelphia Eagles DB Rudy Ford went to high school there, but I think he actually lived in Owens Cross Roads.  OXR doesn't have a high school so their kids go to HS in New Hope.

If your son works in Huntsville, he has a bit of a commute, but it isn't too bad. Depending on where he works in town, Hobbs Island Road might be a smarter route for him.

Forgot to add... as far as dining options go, El Paso is decent for American style Mexican food, Galen's is delicious - ignore the health department scores but don't order the fish, there was a fantastic BBQ place in the area called T Meeks or something like that. He died, but his son or something took over and it is located in a different spot and has a new name. The locals should be able to help him out with that. And there is a Burger King. I haven't been to that one, but it is Burger King so you know what to expect.

The downtown area has a very quaint, small town feel to it. Huntsville/Hampton Cove is expanding towards New Hope on US 431. New Hope is a small town for now but I doubt it'll be like that in 15-20 years.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
When i lived in NHope, ( 3 years) I can count on one hand the number of times that the traffic going through Huntsville was a problem. I drove through Huntsville regularly at 730-800. Much worse was the traffic on 72...
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Officer Dick isn't the most honest police officer. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 3:40:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Grandson just moved to area and I'm curious.  From big city Philadelphia, PA to New Hope.  Will miss him because he would look in me and grandmom every once and a while.
View Quote
@voodoo17
Hopefully New Hope, AL doesn't have quite the same population as New Hope, PA..
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@voodoo17
Hopefully New Hope, AL doesn't have quite the same population as New Hope, PA..
View Quote

Years ago my gf, now my wife of 40+ years, Visited New Hope during the day.  We were told that the "fruits and nuts" came out at night.  Artsie fartsie crowd.  Did not stick around to see for ourselves.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is my preferred city hall for car tags, so there's that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't the New Hope city hall also the courthouse, jail, police station, library, museum, etc.?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top