Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2011 12:32:58 PM EDT
Folks - some areas of Fultondale are a complete disaster area.  Residents of the apartments on HWY 31 that were hit have been told to get out immediately.  Some haven't eaten or slept for a long time, others in other neighborhoods have totalled houses, cars, etc.  The National Guard is patrolling to help keep the peace.  I know other areas are hit just as bad or worse, but this is in our back yard.
If you are able, every one of us spared have a responsibility to reach out and help these people.  Get out of your A/C and out of your comfort zone and let's help deliver food, cut trees, carry brush, move personal items.  We cannot wait on a gimped government and other agencies to do it for us.  If you have never done anything else for anyone in your life, here is your chance to live having had the opportunity and acted on it to help someone else out.
The neighborhoods behind the hwy 31 Raceway, Fultondale Elementary, etc etc are disaster areas but not cut off from the public.  Don't wait on your church or friends to go do something.  We were the only ones from the ENTIRE G'dale/F'dale area seen out there in three of the different disaster areas, and only today did we begin to see the Red Cross and a couple others show up.  There were probably others out, but out of three trucks in different areas, we did not see anyone else handing out food or assisting.  We had three trucks going out the last couple of days, we will have five tomorrow after the morning worship services.  We have our missions team meeting with chainsaws and able bodies to assist with people still trying to just get trees off their houses and cars.
"Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ " (Matthew 25).

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm scheduled to go in with the Red Cross tomorrow morning although I do not know yet what area I am being sent in to.  I may have the chance to bend the ear of some of those in charge locally at the RC.  What are the biggest needs you are seeing right now in terms of needed supplies/service?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm scheduled to go in with the Red Cross tomorrow morning although I do not know yet what area I am being sent in to.  I may have the chance to bend the ear of some of those in charge locally at the RC.  What are the biggest needs you are seeing right now in terms of needed supplies/service?

Most in the areas we were in had no power, so as they were working it seemed like ice and water were appreciated - however - they mostly seemed to have a lot of that covered.  The local supermarkets and stores seem to have a sufficient supply coming in, and even the Winn Dixie is giving away bags of ice and brought in a tractor trailer load full.  My truck alone passed out over 100 meals in only 3-4 streets, 1-2 hours Fri and today.  

All that said, I am thinking that gasoline, debris removal items and help seem to be probably the bigger, long-term need at the moment.  Not sure how your outfit can help with that, but that's about the gist of it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I will mostly be doing damage assessment which is really needs assessment so the info is helpful.  I will pass along the info.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I spent most of thursday, friday and part of today helping clear up damage in Cahaba Heights.  I'm happy to pitch in.  Just let me know where you need me and I'll show up.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI, we had to chase off some fucks taking random photographs yesterday, in Cahaba Heights of all places.

People have no shame.  It's unreal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ICE
Charcoal

Baby wipes
Tooth brushes
Tooth paste
Soap
Shampoo
Laundry soap
Trash bags
Tarps
Brushes
Combs
Deodorant
Baby powder
Diapers
Pillows
Blankets
Sheets all sizes
Water
Rolls of plastic
Duct tape... yup the duct tape capitol of the universe needs more duct tape.
None perishable foods ( snack crackers protein bars granola can goods juice boxes)
Small insulated lunch boxes for diabetic supplies.
Tents ( this is a very rural area and people are refusing to leave their lots. We have storms coming monday)
Minor medical supplies. Peroxide, bandaids neosporin.
Safety glasses
Work Gloves
There is no electricity except for in spotty areas that support hospitals or waste water pumps. This is a large area from Athens to I-75 in GA all the way south of Birmingham especially on the South east side.

Anyone coming into AL will need to register at the command centers. Make sure you understand there is no power or creature comforts.
You will need identification and they will give you an assigned area.
It is taking a toll on the emergency workers. The need is overwhelming. They have deployed the National guard to assist and their are LEO FF and emergency workers from surrounding states.
They have the same power as the local police to arrest.
The national guard did shut down a Dollar General in Madison County after people got out of hand there.
Below is a list of places that are both staging areas for volunteers across the state and also placed for shelter if you know of anyone needing shelter medical attention etc.
Birmingham has taken the lead for the Fullerton and Tuscaloosa areas. Below is the main command center for those areas.

Registration Points in the Tuscaloosa Fullerton Birmingham Area
First United Methodist Church, 800 Greensboro Ave., 205-345-7261. Needs cash donations, staging area for relief organizations coming into town. Compassionate Coalition, 205-561-4169, 205-349-2797 Needs volunteers for debris cleanup, help filling out insurance and FEMA paperwork for elderly, disabled and low-income people.
St. Matthias Episcopal Church, 2310 Skyland Blvd. E, 553-7282, clearinghouse for volunteers.

Request: Immediate volunteers to work its 211 Help Line. Shifts are 4 hours, and begin at the following times: 4 a.m., 8 a.m., noon, 4 p.m., 8 p.m. and midnight. Volunteers should arrive 15 minutes prior to their shift start for a brief training. Volunteers will receive incoming calls for assistance, log them into a database and provide other assistance that will be outlined in training.

Address: 3600 8th Ave S, Birmingham.

Emergency volunteers are asked to dial  211 to be assigned to an area for assistance.

Alabama’s Statewide 2-1-1 Volunteer Call Center is a 24/7 volunteer and donations hotline that provides an opportunity for people to connect to available volunteer and donation options. By calling 2-1-1 (in the state of Alabama or toll free 1-888-421-1266) or visiting www.servealabama.gov, individuals can register to volunteer or provide a financial donation to the Governor’s Emergency Relief Fund.
Emergency Community Center - taking health & welfare calls for all of the surrounding areas. If you need to locate a family member, friend, co-worker, etc. they can help. Hours 9a-5p. 256-340-4234.
Huntsville - New Vision Methodist Church (Cole Ave) has  temporary relief center at the church
Athens – Lindsay Lane Church serve at 5
Arab - Liberty Baptist Church - camp fire location has tents set up just off Fry gap Rd, serving food daily. Breakfast is 6-8 am, lunch 5-7.
Guntersville - Wintzells cooking limited type food at 1 today for ema fire and rescue
Harvest - Salvation Army has set up a food bank at Publix in Harvest on Jeff Rd and Hwy 53
Harvest - Go to the Monrovia Community Center, 254 Allen Drake Drive
Huntsville, AL 35806-1314 (256) 489-3366 or First Baptist Church on Govenors Drive HSV to be processed (badge, ID, assignment) to help the Harvest area
Harvest - Building Church of HSV delivering meals directly to families doors in Harvest. Call 256-665-3404
Muscle Shoals - Highland Park Church of Christ opened a relief center on Woodward Avenue 256-381-3811
Hatton - Hatton Church of Christ on Highway 101 - offering food, water and clothes
Good Shepherd United Methodist Church - serving hot meals starting at 6pm Thursday
Hebron Volunteer Fire Dept - Serving Breakfast in the morning at 7am for members of the community affected by the tornado.
Fackler Fire Hall in Jackson County is serving hot meals and will be handing out supplies (added 11:48a Friday)
Lincoln County - Highland Rim School is open for those affected to come for a hot shower and a free meal. In TN a few miles North of Hazel Green.
Lawrence County - United Methodist Church in Moulton has clothing, all sizes. 9a-3p
Russellville - Moulton Church of Christ, corner of Walnut St. & Main St. across from EMA HQ 7a-5p to be processed (forms, ID's, badges, assignments, etc.)
Fyffe - Fyffe Church of God offering meals Sunday
Athens - Lindsay Lane Baptist Church serving hot meals 12-2 and 5-7
Elkton, TN - Elkton Baptist Church is giving away water, food and has shelter for anyone that needs it from 9a-10p Sunday night. All is free
Huntsville - Joe Davis Stadium - hot food being served until curfew Saturday. Free for all relief & emergency workers. Donations asked from general public.
Huntsville - Crestwood Medical Center has full pwer and continues to serve the community. All essential services are open & functioning. However, due to the widespread power outag, some of the elective outpatient services are closed or relocated. Please call 256-429-5678 for information. Hotline is available 8-4pm and noon to 6pm on Sunday
Elkmont - The Church of the Living God will have chicken stew Sunday at 2pm for anyone.
Hackleburg - Pleasant Hill Freewill Baptist Church will have hot meals, clothes, supplies, water, etc for tornado victims. Hwy 253 6 1/2 miles S. of Hackleburg 256-668-5131.
Florence - Josh Willinham Foundation is taking monetary & supply donations Saturday 10a-5p at Dena Diane Children's Shop, 2568 Mall Rd, Florence. Donations will be delivered to the Oak Grove Community. Specific need of baby & feminine hygiene products. 256-760-9671
Athens - Eash Highland Baptist Church - open Saturday 23315 Nick Davis Rd. 256-431-4984. Free clothes, food, water, cell phone chargers & showers.
Athens - Clemonts Baptist Church, 8690 US Hwy 72, 256-729-1328 2:30pm gym will be open for the public to shower.
Union Hill - new Canaan Baptist Church of Morgan County offering hot showers, hot meals, hygiene products, etc. Short drive from S. HSV. Pkwy S, across river up Brindlee Mtn. Right on Apple Grove Rd. Rigt at 4-way stop will take you into Union Hill. Church located at intersection of Union Hill Rd & Apple Grove Rd.
Jackson County - Dutton Volunteer Fire Dept located off County Road 47 & Hwy 71 in Dutton has cots, blankets, food & water. Chief Terry Pique 256-599-2574
Rainsville - Rainsville Church of God Main Street West, Rainsville, AL 256-601-0154. Open now offering clothing, food, water, until everything runs out.
Marshall County- Volunteers report to the EMA stationed at the old National Guard Armory on Creek Path Rd in Guntersville. 256-571-7329.
Rainsville Church of God, 155 Main Street West, Rainsville, AL 256-601-0154. Open now offering clothing, food, water, until everything runs out.
Decatur - Wesley memorial UMC open until 7pm for charging phones, cooking food, hot showers, etc. Located corner of Westmeade & Danville Rd beside Austin High School. Open Sunday for services 9am-11a and open until 7pm
Athens - Medical East Urgent Care (across from Publix) will be open 8-4pm Sunday. There is no power, so x-rays cannot be done. However, simple illnesses can be treated there instead of going to the ER. Will also be open Monday thru Friday 7a-5p.
Ardmore- Bobo Volunteer Fire Dept cooking food - will deliver for elderly 256-420-8208
DONATIONS AND VOLUNTEERS
We've been asked to direct all potenial volunteers or those who wish to donate to contact the American Red Cross or United Way.  You can reach the Red Cross in Huntsville at (256) 536-0084.  The United Way's phone number is (256) 536-0745.

In Limestone County, people wishing to volunteer their time and donate use of equipment to assist in the storm cleanup should come by the Limestone County Extension System Office, adjacent to the EMA on W. Market St in Athens to register and receive assignments.  The staging area for volunteers is located at the intersection of East Limestone and Capshaw Roads at the Chevron station in East Limestone.  It's at the 4 way stop at the Dollar General. Volunteers may also report directly to this location for registration.  Volunteers who return on following days should report directly to the staging area for a new assignment.  Volunteers will receive a  wristband that identifies them as a registered volunteer.  New wristbands will be issued each day, as jobs are assigned.

Camp for Phil Campbell Tornado Victims taking monetary donations at all CB&S Bank locations 256-810-4765

Hackleburg Relief Drive -Florence Blvd & Mt. Zion Chruch of Christ.Collecting Monday Noon - 7pm and Tuesday 8am -7PM .  Collection point is  Florence Blvd Church of Christ  activity bulilding.Specifc needs:Gatorade, batteries and flashlights, manual can openers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, feminie hygiene products, infant car seats, baby food, diapers, anything babay related.  Pillows, blankes , clothes hangers....questions.Contac: Sylvia Stephenson : Home:  2567645863 –– Cell:  2563661913

North Alabama Medical Reserve Corps:Has been Activated by EMA. NEED Pre-registered Medical Reserve Corps Volunteers to call:256-427-5355. There is a great amount of need for Medical Reserve Corps Volunteers. THE PUBLIC in need of medical information, please call:Medical information lines: 256-427-5534/256-427-5525

Blue Springs Elementary, located on Hwy. 72 W. in the Clements Community will be accepting non-perishable items on Monday, May 2nd from 9 am - 3 pm.  Donations needed are bottled water, non-perishable food, & toiletry items.
BLOOD DONATIONS

Athens - Blood drive, Owens Elementary School, Apr 29, 10:30 AM - 4:00 PM, 21465 AL Hwy 99, Athens, AL.

Florence, Sheffield, Tuscumbia, Huntsville Decatur: Here's more information about all Lifesouth Community Blood Drives or www.redcrossblood.org - click on "Donating Blood" and look for Donor Center information

Russellville - They are accepting blood behind the Foodland in Russellville at Southern Rural (posted Friday 1:16pm)

OPEN PHARMACIES
Madison County: Star Market Pharmacies, Publix Pharmacies, Target Pharmacies

Walgreens in Athens and Madison open for business

OTHER  DONATIONS

In addition to the above, the following organizations are setting up to collect:

Capshaw Baptist (East Limestone) is a response Station for the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Team. Teams are available for damage repair. Also receive & distribute donations of diapers, wipes, other baby essentials as well as non-perishable food

Scottsboro - The Rock Family Worship Center has set up a POD (point of distribution) in the Kmart parking lot at 22991 Lee Hwy serving meals throughout the day. Also a drop point for non-perishable food, water, diaper/wipes, work gloves, tarps, batteries.

Athens - First Baptist Church on Hobbs Street

Athens - Collection station setting up at The Barn

Franklin Pharmacy is working with EMA as a drop off place for donations and distribution (361 Mustang Drive, Russellville)

Community Changers at Barton's First Baptist Church 256-370-7574

Salvation Army is taking donations for Phil Campbell and Hackleburg

Shoals Products in Muscle Shoals (located at 100 Glendale Avenue) is collecting items to take to tornado victims. Accepting donations until 10pm Thursday.

Regions Bank accepting donations in all open branches.

Salem - The Barn on Hwy 99 in Salem taking for First Baptist Church in Athens (Hobbs St.) Red Cross Shelter.

Russellville First United Methodist Church will be a drop-off site for supplies. Alan Beasley (256) 324-0900.

Decatur First United Methodist Church warehouse is a drop off - Ray Crump at (256) 301-9800

Florence - the First United Methodist Church Brandon Center is a drop off -(256) 766-4513

Muscle Shoals - Highland Park Church of Christ on Woodward Avenue accepting supplies and donations 256-381-3811

Red Bay - Cornerstone Church of God - drop off Thursday from 4-7pm for supplies

Killen - Killen Church of Christ has partnered with Highland Park Church of Christ to take supplies to affected areas. Bottled water, diapers and non perishable food items(not needing can opener) can be dropped off at Killen Church of Christ now till Saturday at 9am. Killen Church of Christ, corner of Hwy 72 and Locke Six Road(@ red light in Killen

Anderson - The Anderson Volunteer Fire Department is collecting donations.  Water, clothing, stuffed animals and money

Sheffield - JD's on Nashville Ave. in Sheffield is taking in donations of food water and clothing for Phil Campbell and Hackleburg survivors

Tanner - Tanner High School taking donations

Lexington - First Baptist in Lexington is accepting donations headed to Cullman or Colbert County / Lauderdale County.  256-229-6657.  You can schedule a pickup too

Rainsville - Red Cross, Salvation Army and Southern Baptists will begin providing mealas at Broadway Baptist Church in Rainsville on Friday

Phil Campbell - Service One Transport is accepting donations for victims in Phil Campbel at the Shoals Entrepreneurial Center, 3115 Northington Court, Florence Lauderdale Industrial Park. Only nonperishable food, diapers, toilet paper, personal hygiene, water, flashlights, blankets.  Friday til 5p.  Saturday 9-1p and next week Monday-Thursday, 8-5:30 p.m.

Trinity - Trinity United Methodist Church is meeting at 12:30p on Sunday in the gym.  Collecting supplies and they'll need alot of manpower.  Contact Brent Gailey via Facebook for details about how to help

Decatur - EPIC Church is now an official EMA Drop off location for donated supplies. 801 Frewell Ave in Decatur dusk til dawn Fri and Sat

Sheffield - Drop off point in Sheffield at YORK terrace Baptist church all donated items will go to Hackelburg (as of 1:04p Friday)

Killen - Brooks High School is collecting items now (updated Friday 1:25p)

Tharptown - Collecting food and water and supplies at the Tharptown baseball fields 9-4 Saturday

Athens - Athens Post Office on Market Street is collecting.  Put  items in the hampers located in the lobby of the post office

Muscle Shoals - Washington Park Baptist Church collecting on Monday 8-3 items for Hackleburg

Huntsville - The Rock is collecting for victims in their Manna House on the 2300 Memorial Parkway Friday. You can also pick up supplies if you need them.

Monrovia - The Rock will be set up Saturday at the Monrovia Community Center from 9:30-2:30p.  You can also pick up supplies if you need them

Danville - the Danville Fire Department Staton #1 on Hwy 36 is open to the community.  They have generator power.  They'll serve dinner Friday night around 6p

ANIMAL SHELTERS

Horse Farm in Harvest area, near Anderson Hills can board displaced horses. Contact Bruce Stone 256-797-0776

Meridianville - The Puppy Palace on 121 Shed Road in Meridianville will take in animals for those who've been displaced by the damage and need a place to keep their pets. Can take at least 20 dogs & cats. 256-828-6939
Copyright © 2011, WHNT-TV

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#8]
List of Help for the Birmingham Tuscaloosa Daphne Area
Eclectic: Elmore County High School at 155 North College Ave. in Eclectic.

Tuscaloosa: St. Mathias Episcopal Church, across from Walmart at 2310 Skyland Blvd. East

Birmingham:  Workers needed right now at 3600 Third Ave South 35222. Bring and sort items there #UniteAL

Brookwood: From 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. meet at Town Hall.

ice coolers or just ice.
               Cat and dog food
               lamp oil
               Bins and containers

Call Melissa Camp at 205 394-1813

Northport: Volunteers needed immediately at Five Points Baptist.

Norwood: Community Clean-up, Saturday, April 30th 9:30-12:30. Meet at Norwood Community Center near Norwood Pool at 2700 15th Ave North. We have a city approved neighborhood cleanup planned with the assistance of 90 hands on Birmingham volunteers. We will be gathering storm debris that was created in the first wave of storms Wed April 27th at 6am that went on to hit the airport hanger roof and Eastlake community. We will primarily clearing debris from the Park and Norwood Blvd but we hope to hit the entire neighborhood. Contact: Mary Jean Baker LaMay, Clean up Chair cell 401-2032

Shelter Locations

Dora: First Baptist Church and Dora Civic Center are both open as shelters.

St. Clair County: Ashville Middle School is set up as an American Red Cross designated shelter for all displaced citizens in St. Clair County. It's located at 33221 Highway 231, Ashville.

Hueytown: Brooklane Baptist Academy at 160 Brooklane Drive. A shelter with food is open and they are accepting storm donations. Call 205-497-0967.

Cullman: shelter is set up at the Cullman Civic Center at 510 5th St SW, Cullman. Phone Number 256-734-9157

Russellville in Franklin County: the Rec center is set up as a shelter. Contact number: 256-332-8770

Blood Drives

Red Cross in Birmingham: Donate April 29-May 1 at the UAB North Pavilion, located at the corner of 18th Street South and 6th Ave. Validated parking available in the 5th Ave. Parking Lot. Friday-Sunday (April 29-May 1) donate from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Another drive scheduled for May 2-7 in honor of Nurses Week. It will also be in the North Pavilion. Mon, Wed, Thur and Sat 10am-5 pm and Tuesday and Friday 7am-2 pm

LifeSouth Community Blood Centers will be collecting ALL BLOOD TYPES at the following locations:

NorthRidge Fitness- Tuscaloosa 10am-7pm

West Oxmoor Donor Center- Birmingham 9am-7pm

Brookwood Medical Donor Center- Birmingham 7am-4pm

St. Vincent’s East Donor Center- Trussville 7am-4pm

Donors must be 16 years old (16 yr olds must have parental consent), weigh 110 lbs., and show a photo I.D. For questions or more information, call 205-943-6000.

Calera's Farmers Market  at Oliver Park on Hwy 25 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, April 30.

Donation Sites: bring items to donate to the victims here:

The Bob Sykes BBQ & Blues Festival Tornado Relief Concert is today in Bessemer with part of the proceeds being donated to the relief efforts coordinated by Hands On Birmingham. We will also have a donation point for supplies. The updated list of items needed is: Water, Baby Bottles, Diapers Canned Drinks, Gatorade, Soap & Wash Clothes, Toothbrushes and any hygiene and non perishable foods and clothes. P
Trussville: Serra Mazda collecting Bottled water, toiletry items, clothing, etc.

St. Clair County: Ashville Middle School is set up as an American Red Cross designated shelter at 33221 Highway 231, Ashville and will be collecting supplies to donate to the victims.

Tuscaloosa: Image Makers Salon on University Blvd is an accepting location for United Way. Bottled Water, snacks, small meals (no cooking required), personal care items (deodorant, shampoo, soap, tooth brushes and tooth pastes, etc). Call (205) 366-1986

Roebuck: The Missionary Society of the Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church of Zion City has a collection site for water and toiletries for the storm victims. The address is 221 Roebuck Drive Birmingham AL 35215.  We will collect these items on Saturday from 10am to 2pm. They will be taken to one of the main collection sites. For more information please contact Patricia Warren at (205) 914-2883.

Tuscaloosa: Image Makers Salon on University Blvd is an accepting location for United Way. Bottled Water, snacks, small meals (no cooking required), personal care items (deodorant, shampoo, soap, tooth brushes and tooth pastes, etc). Call (205) 366-1986

Birmingham: Community Food Bank of Central Alabama collecting bottled water at 107 Walter Davis Drive.

Birmingham: the Birmingham City Council is asking people to bring the followign items to Boutwell Auditorium: bottled water, diapers, feminine products, Gatorade, prepackaged crackers/chips/snacks. A Red Cross or Council staff member will take the donations at Boutwell so you don't have to get out of your car.

Hueytown: North Highlands Baptist Church will be open from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Saturday accepting donations for storm victims. Anyone in need is encouraged to come by for help as well. Items they are asking for include: sunscreen, work gloves, work boots, ziploc bags, hand sanitizer, wet wipes, garbage bags. You can call Gina @ 229-6325 for information. Volunteers are also needed to help sort items as they're brought in & deliver them if necessary.

Hoover: Academy Sports + Outdoors collecting nonperishable food, bottled water, cots, sleeping bags, flashlights, batteries, camping items, small camping grills and utensils, diapers and baby formula. Everything must be unused. Collection trucks will be in the Academy parking lot from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, April 29.  

Tuscaloosa: Academy Sports + Outdoors will be giving out bottled water to residents in need at its Tuscaloosa store at 710 Skyland Blvd. from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, April 29.

Mobile: Freckles in West Mobile collecting anything. Call 251-633-4654.

Talladega: Talladega County Revenue Dept. in the county courthouse is collecting nonperishable items on Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Drop off bottled water, canned foods, toilet paper, baby wipes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, new blankets, new pillows, all packaged foods, bandages, bath soap, shampoo, conditioner. Call Tara LaClair at 256-419-3670 for more information.

Coosa Pines Federal Credit Union five locations accepting donations:Blankets, laundry supplies, toiletries, feminine products, diapers and wipes, baby food, bandages, first-aid items, socks, bottled water, nonperishable food, juice boxes, paper towels, tissues, toilet paper

Childersburg: 17591 Plant Road
Sylacauga: 255 James Payton Blvd
Chelsea: Ste 190 Chelsea Cnrs (Winn Dixie) Shopping Center
Pell City: 2708 Stemley Bridge Road
Roebuck: 524 Red Lane Rd, Suite B

Gardendale: Accepting donations at South Campus Gardendale First Baptist Church at 940 Main Street.

Birmingham: Liberty Worship Center at 2500 35th Ave N collecting hygiene products, toiletries, canned food, clothes, shoes, monetary donations on Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.. Contact D Lawson at 205-215-0862.

Pinson: Pinson Valley Youth Association. Ballpark on Faucett Cut Off in Pinson is taking donations

Hueytown: Taylor Bug's Kids Boutique & Consignment is a drop off location for the Red Cross. Come by to donate water, diapers, formula, wrapped snacks, coffee. Tues-Fri 10-6p, Saturday 10-2p. Call 205-491-2849

Birmingham: Miles College is collecting donated clothing and supplies. Contact the student government president Ashley at 205-936-5867.

Calera: the Calera Farmers Market's Strawberry Festival set for Saturday, April 29 is now a collection site for donated items. Check out this story to see which items they will be accepting at Oliver Park on Hwy 25 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Pelham: Pelham Big Lots on 31 will have a donation drive out in front of the store this Saturday from 9-5 and Sunday 10-5. Please bring non-perishables such as baby items, water and toiletries. One of our stores was hit by the storm. We will be helping local areas.

Pelham: Several locations around Pelham will accept donations for tornado victims through the Salvation Army:

Pelham City Hall––3162 Pelham Parkway,
Pelham Police Department-32 Philip Davis Street
Pelham Fire Station 1-Located behind City Hall
Pelham Civic Complex––500 Amphitheater Road
Pelham Racquet Club––100 Racquet Club Parkway
Ballantrae Golf Club––1300 Ballantrae Club Drive
See a list of requested items to donate here.

Pratt City area: Bring donated garbage bags to  Scott School on Cherry Avenue near HIghway 78.
Odenville (St. Clair County): Odenville elementary will have a drop-off spot for donations starting on Monday morning.

Tuscaloosa: Locklear Automotive office in Tuscloosa at 550 Skyland Blvd East is now an official Red Cross drop-off center. All donations, including cash, will be accepted (water, food, clothes, diapers, toiletries, etc). Call 205-799-4421

Talladega: A donation drop-off location will be set up at 108 Haynes Street in Talladega from Sunday-Friday from noon-4 p.m. each day. The supplies will go to victims in some of the surrounding areas including Ragland, Cullman, Pell City and Ohatchee. Local churches will help distribute the goods. For more info, see the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cullman-St-Clair-and-Talladega-County-Relief-Drive/127893937286363.

Birmingham: Disaster Relief Drop Off Point at the East Birmingham Church of God in Christ. We will be onsite on Saturday 10AM to 5PM and Sunday from 8AM to 3PM to receive items.We will also be operating onsite Monday - Friday 8AM to 6PM going forward. Contact: November Wren @ 205-612-7216 or Rozlan Luck @ 434-548-4919

Birmingham: The Birmingham Barons are collecting food and water donations from Friday, April 29-Monday, May 2. Anyone who brings a case of bottled water or six non-perishable canned food items to Regions Park will be allowed into the game free of charge. Call (205) 988-3200 or visit barons.com, facebook.com/birminghambarons and Twitter @BhamBarons for more info.

Brookwood: donations will be accepted at the GG Hardin Center. They are in great need of tents, tarps and flashlights since many people are staying outside on the ground.

These churches have agreed to serve as drop points for items needed to help victims. They have also agreed to be responsible for getting the items to the front lines for distribution. Please contact the church before taking your items for drop-off. Items needed: Bottled Water, Sports Drinks, Snacks, Power Bars, Blankets, Styrofoam Coolers, Hand Sanitizer 1. Northpark Baptist; 5700 Deerfoot Parkway; Trussville, AL 35173 (205-908-7985) 2. Russellville FBC; 213 N Jackson Ave; Russellville, AL; 35653 (256-332-2065) 3. Bethsalem Baptist; 2990 County Rd 24; Billingsley, AL, 36006 (205-755-1413) 4. Montgomery FBC Caring Center; 52 Adams Ave.; Montgomery, AL, 36104 (334-241-5140) 5. Sixth Street; 2324 6th Street Extension; Alexander City, AL; 35060 (256-794-3074) 6. N. Jefferson Association; 3396 Mt Olive Road; Mt Olive, AL; 35117 (205-631-4126) 7. Onenota First; 300 3rd Ave East; Oneonta, AL; 35121 (205-353-6425) 8. Pineview; 10291 Highway 5; Brent, AL; 35034 (205-926-9280) 9. Northport; 1004 Main Ave.; Northport; 35476 (205-345-0100) 10. Pleasant Mt; 250 Pine Mtn Circle; Remlap, AL; 35133 (205-527-1186) 11. Fayette FBC; 432 Temple Ave North; Fayette, AL; 35555 (205-932-5562) 12. Highland Park; 501 W. Sixth St; Muscle Shoals, AL 35661 (256-412-5125) 13. Snowtown; 6000 Flat Top Road; Dora, AL; 35062 (205-436-3305) 14. Forest Lake; 107 18th St; Tuscaloosa, AL; 35401 (205-759-1569) 15. Winfield FBC; 830 US Highway 43 South; Winfield, AL 35594 (205-487-3257) 16. New Prospect; 770 Highway 5 N; Jasper, AL; 35503 (205-384-4808 or 205-300-5530) 17. Canaan; 2543 Morgan Road; Bessemer, AL; 35022 (205-425-4381 or 205-317-5561 {after noon}) 18. Pelham FBC; 2867 Pelham Parkway; Pelham, AL; 35124 (205-664-0237)
19. Church at Brook Hills – see website at www.brookhills.org for info
Food and other giveaways:

Hoover: Mountaintop Community Church located off Montgomery Highway in Hoover: Free dinner Thursday, April 28 from 6-9 p.m. Bring any food that is thawed and ready to be cooked to share. More info: http://www.mountaintopchurch.com/pages/page.asp?page_id=42124&articleId=22042

Birmingham: Mount Hebron Baptist Church is serving food at 503 5th Street Thomas. They will serve food on Friday and Saturday from noon-4 p.m. Contact Rev. Tommy Smith at 205-324-2909 or 205-919-8138.

Tarrant: Those misplaced by the storm with proper ID can receive a free meal at Tastee Kitchen at 1324 Pinson Valley Pkwy. Contact Chef EL at 205-841-2223 or 205-370-3434

Tuscaloosa/Cullman/Pleasant Grove: CVS is giving away free ice, water and baby supplies to the local community on Friday, April 29.
10:00 AM - CVS/pharmacy, 108 Park Road, Pleasant Grove
10:00 AM - CVS/pharmacy, 610 2nd Avenue NW, Cullman
11:00 AM - CVS/pharmacy, 808 15th Street E, Tuscaloosa

Tuscaloosa: Convoy of Hope will be set up with a trailer at Calvary Baptist Church Saturday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Church is behind the SW corner of Bryant-Denny Stadium. People can pick up food just by driving by.

Bessemer: Tornado relief center set up at Garywood Assembly of God, where people can pick up food and goods by driving by. The church is located at 2730 Allison Bonnett Memorial in Bessemer.

Send Money To

The Red Cross. Visit www.redcross.org or call 1-800-RED-CROSS. Contributions may also be sent to local American Red Cross chapters or to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, DC 20013.

At the BJCC: Donation barrels will be placed at the Schaeffer Eye Center Crawfish Boil festival site to collect donations for the Mid Alabama Region of the American Red Cross for Alabama tornado relief efforts.  Community volunteers will also be present to assist with the fundraising efforts. Gates open at 4 p.m. Friday, April 29 for the weekend event at the BJCC.

Volunteers of America Southeast is accepting monetary donations to aid victims of the tornadoes. Text VOA to 27722 from your mobile phone or visit www.voase.org to donate online or to send a check. One hundred percent of all monies received by Volunteers of America Southeast will be used by VOA provide food, water, medical, and other humanitarian aid to the people directly affected by this disaster. All funds will be used directly for relief efforts. Volunteers are also needed. For more info or to volunteer to help, call Paul McLendon at 251-422-7729

Any Regions Bank: donations for the American Red Cross’ Tornado Disaster Relief Fund will be accepted from the general public at all Regions Bank branches in the 16 states the company serves.

First Priority is engaging with local churches and other ministries to provide services and supplies to children and youth groups in the areas affected by the tornados. We are accepting monetary donations that will be used 100 percent to provide supplies and services to those affected by the disaster. To donate online, please visit www.gofirstpriority.com and click on "First Priority Tornado Relief Efforts" or call 205.871.8886. For those 16 years of age or older who would like to help with clean-up efforts (manual labor) in areas affected by the storms, please e-mail: [email protected]. For up-to-date, specific information and volunteer opportunities, visit our blog at http://blog.gofirstpriority.com/.

Pet Supplies “PLUS” will be collectioning donations April 29, 30 thru May 1, 2011 to help the tornado victims. Donations can be made at any of our Birmingham, Alabama stores: 421 Greensprings Hwy, Homewood; 1928 Highway 31 South, Pelham; 228 Gadsden Highway, Birmingham; 4606 122 Hwy 280, Birmingham.All proceeds will be given to the Alabama Red Cross and earmarked for Tornado Relief.

Pets

Greater Birmingham Humane Society: If you staying in a Red Cross shelter, they will contact GBHS to coordinate temporary boarding of your pet. If you would like to stay with your pet, visit www.petswelcome.com for a list of pet friendly hotels in the area.

If you are missing your pet or have found one, use the lost and found tool on the GBHS website, visit: http://www.gbhs.org/site/PageServer?pagename=LF_Lost_Dogs

Tuscaloosa: Dr. Canant on Watermelon Road has offered to treat animals injured in the storms free of charge. PLEASE, only those injured in the storms.

Facebook page for lost and found animals from the Alabama tornadoes: "Animals Lost & Found from the Tornadoes in Alabama on 4/27/11"

Doctors and Nurses Needed

If you are an EMT, RN, Dr. or in the medical profession, please contact DCH Regional Medical Center in Tuscaloosa or go there with your LICENSE to offer assistance (205.759.7111)

Cleanup Efforts:

Norwood Resource Center will host a community clean up on Sat 4/30 from 9:30-12. Contact for Norwood is Andy Olds @ 205-910-9413

Turkey Creek Nature Preserve: Young Professionals of Birmingham will meet at Saturday, April 30 to clean up the Turkey Creek Nature Preserve at 3906 Turkey Creek Road. To join in the cleanup, meet at the Starbucks on Montclair Road in Birmingham at 8 a.m. and they will travel to the preserve together. Cleanup will be from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. For more information, please visit www.ypbirmingham.com or contact Jonathan Kudulis at [email protected]. For questions the day of the event, contact Krista Conlin at 205.937.3777.

Other Services Offered:

Anniston: Washin’ Coin Laundry is offering pick up and drop off service for Pell City storm victims. Cost is $1 per pound and may be reimbursed by home owners association. Contact [email protected]

Rainbow City: Ray's Computer is offering free internet for whoever needs it. Ray's Computer is located at 515 Sutton Bridge Rd in Rainbow City, Al 35906. Phone numebr: 256-442-2007

Tuscaloosa: Free internet and wifi at Tuscaloosa Public Library on Jack Warner Parkway.

Mini Storage of Birmingham is offering three months of free storage for storm victims. They are located at 2626 1st Avenue South. Birmingham 35233. Contact Buddy Dillenberg at 205-251-7867 before coming. Must sign lease.

What to do with injured wildlife:

If you find an injured bird in your yard among the storm debris, call the Alabama Wildlife Center’s Wildlife Help Line at (205) 663-7930, extension 2 and leave a brief message that includes name and telephone number with area code. A trained specialist monitors the line from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. every day, and returns calls within the hour to give advice on what to do next.

If injured or orphaned mammals (squirrels, deer, raccoons, etc.) or reptiles and amphibians (snakes, lizards, frogs, etc.) are found, contact the Wild Mammal Care of Alabama at (205) 871-7803 or  Alabama Reptile Rescue Sanctuary at (205) 253-1283.

Returning personal documents/photographs found in debris

There's a Facebook page now dedicated to the recovery of documents, photos and other debris that people are finding in their yards back to their original owners. Search for "Pictures and Documents found after the April 27, 2011 Tornadoes" in Facebook or click that link.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
keep up the good work guys. these folks seriously need help.

You know all the Arfcom folks are going to be out there helping!
It is what we do.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Did they get your power situation resolved?

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
For Cullman ARAB EVA Jasper Hanceville
See below. These numbers work. Most of the Northern half of AL are without land lines. Communications are spotty at best.

The City of Cullman has been devastated, but we are staying organized daily and we will persevere through this disaster.  Our focus is on recovery, restoration & rebuilding.  We appreciate your patience, prayers, and continued efforts to move our community forward.

Cullman has been declared a National Disaster Area by the President, Governor, and the Mayor.

Water Supply

In Cullman City and Cullman County is operational
The Treatment Plant is running on generator power
Contrary to rumors, water supply is under control and sufficient
Water is safe and service will not be interrupted
Please do not fill up sinks, tubs, etc this puts a strain on system
Electricity

All four TVA Transmission lines are down coming into Cullman
4,000 workers in field working to restore power
There is no time frame for service to be restored
Unprecedented set of damage circumstances
If the conduit / weather head to your home/business has been damaged, you should contact your electrician to make the necessary repairs on the private owner side.
Shelters & Help

Cullman Civic Center – American Red Cross is set up with food
Hanceville Recreation Center
ServPro will be set up at the intersection of Hwy 31 and Hwy 278 with water and ice
Cullman High School – Staging Station for Volunteer Coordination, Ice, Water
DayStar Church at Good Hope – meals, water

Cullman County Extension Service has set up a Free Charging station at United Way (Train Depot)

Charge cell phones, medical equipment, any essential communication devices
Wireless Internet Access
Free international calls via Skype
Other

NO CURFEW in downtown Cullman, only place this applies is in barricaded areas.
ALL workers (contractors, volunteers, etc) must visit City Hall to obtain pass and business license to enter barricaded areas.
Cullman is currently under a NO BURN ORDER
Do not pile debris in the road, do not block sidewalks and streets
For the General Public needing to dispose of spoiled refrigerated items, there will be two roll-off dumpsters set up on the north side of Depot Park.
Phone Numbers

EMA  256.739.5410
Food
Housing
Ice
Business / homeowners should call FEMA at 800.621.3362 for financial help, home repair, grants, temporary housing, etc.
Call Before You Dig                           800.292.8525
City of Cullman                                  256.739.5410
Cullman County Commission             256.775.4878
City of Cullman Police Dept              256.775.7160
Cullman Co Sheriff                             256.734.0342
Cullman City Sanitation                     256.775.7245
Cullman City Street Dept                   256.775.7244
Cullman City Water Dept                   256.772.7210
Cullman City Risk Mgr                       256.775.7130
Cullman Power Board                                    256.734.2343
Cullman Electric Cooperative             256.737.3200
Cullman Jefferson Gas                        256.734.1911
Gas leak                            256.734.0565
City of Cullman Dispatch                   256.775.7145
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone heard from Hardshell?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok
I heard from  another member who is down in Langston AL.
That is to the North of Guntersville Park  and near the NEW HOPE,  LANGSTON,  GRANT , RAINSEVILLE
These are all areas that were hard hit but are NOT getting attention on the Media. They are small rural areas that have been devastated.
The metro areas are getting a lot of attention but these smaller towns are not. People are desperate.

Any one who can help get into these areas there is a great need at this time.
There are a lot of missing people in these towns. The man power is not there to do the search and rescue. We will do our best to get some help that way
but may be quicker to get some folks from outside concentrating on this section of the state.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I am trying to get work to cover my time off. I worked 40 hours storm damage here. Got trailer, gennys, etc. Saws, water, fuel, food ready to roll. Just need work to help so I can afford to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oddly, I just did a search for his posts a few minutes ago, last one was yesterday, but I can't find it.

I assume that him posting here means he's OK, but would like confirmation of that.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I am packing up here in West TN now. I have chainsaws, 3 generators, dozen gas cans, coleman stoves, lanterns,etc. I have water and MRE's and MH to feed myself. I will load cordless tools and screws, nails, etc. Getting trailer loaded shortly. Guess I was headed to Cullman, anyone need help? I checked with Cullman EMA, said go to high school. Who needs help the most? AGot gear and ready to roll in a few hours.

I am SAR trained, fire officer,CERT instructor, CPR/AED cert, First responder NREMT.,etc.

Where to go, that is in bad shape?

I posted the same in other threads as I guess I am getting a plan together.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ok
I heard from  another member who is down in Langston AL.
That is to the North of Guntersville Park  and near the NEW HOPE,  LANGSTON,  GRANT , RAINSEVILLE
These are all areas that were hard hit but are NOT getting attention on the Media. They are small rural areas that have been devastated.
The metro areas are getting a lot of attention but these smaller towns are not. People are desperate.

Any one who can help get into these areas there is a great need at this time.
There are a lot of missing people in these towns. The man power is not there to do the search and rescue. We will do our best to get some help that way
but may be quicker to get some folks from outside concentrating on this section of the state.

Can you get me an EMA number or FD number for the small towns in North AL that need help. I am coming from West TN. Packing now and trying to recruit more.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks to Red Dane today for helping us with some of the food relief efforts.  

Our group will be going out again tomorrow around lunch again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#20]
This is killing me ,
I policed in Pleasant Grove for 20 years till 2010 and took a Police job up in North Alabama this past week ,three days before the storm hit.
I of course have my hands full up here so I can not go to Pleasant Grove to help out where I see they need me more than I am needed here.

DAMM , THIS JUST SUCKS!!!!!

GOOD LUCK ALL , WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay dodging tornados getting packed but I am ready to go. Just need to be pointed in a direction where I can help.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Registered on web site. Headed to Cullman.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Registered on web site. Headed to Cullman.

Thank you so much!
God speed.
AF

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thanks to Red Dane today for helping us with some of the food relief efforts.  

Our group will be going out again tomorrow around lunch again.

It was good to meet you & your family.  You're good people.

A friend of mine may come down to assist you tomorrow.  His name is Lenny & his wife is Bettina - he may divert to help at Fultondale city hall, but I will point him your direction if at all possible.  They are good, dependable, honest people.

Thanks again for letting me help today.  I wish I could do more.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no. look slike thurs/fri at the earliest. power at the pole is on and i still have live wires on the ground. i did get the secured and out of the way before the power came back up. life without A/C sucks but i am thankful that is my only gripe at this point.
Same for me in the Harvest area.  So what that I have to take a cold shower and use a generator to run lights.  My house is still there where as some co-workers and some living 1/2 mile from me do not have that luxury.............  If I didn't have to work I would be there every day.  Looking forward to the weekend when I can offer my assistance.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no. look slike thurs/fri at the earliest. power at the pole is on and i still have live wires on the ground. i did get the secured and out of the way before the power came back up. life without A/C sucks but i am thankful that is my only gripe at this point.

If you guys want to come over for a warm shower & a beer, lemme know.

When everyone is mostly back to normal I'm going to have an arfcom BBQ at my place.

I'll be volunteering from Friday-Sunday again this week.  Going to see if I can join with my police pals at Montevallo or Homewood to help out.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:57:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I heard from him last night.  He is fine, although I didn't realize one of the storms did go through his area.  Missed him.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top