Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2011 11:37:37 PM EDT
I want to learn welding, and so far looking online I can't find any local welding classes. So who the heck teaches welding and if you have taken the courses was it worth it and was the instruction good.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You may have to look into a technical college or votech.  The local technical where I'm at in LA has welding under the Industrial technology course.  Hope it helps you find somthing.  

They will probably start you out with stick, but try all variations.  I found I'm better with TIG then MIG or stick.  Although I'm decent with a torch and rod.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about the B'ham area, but here in the Mobile area, AIDT offers welding classes a few times a year.  With all of the ship yards down here, they are always looking for welders and to promote the jobs, they offer training in the welding field.

Also, look into technical colleges in the area.

A List of Welding Schools in Alabama - links to Welding programs atTechnical Colleges
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
DSR661 thanks for the link I found two good leads.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an acquaintance who took some welding courses at Bessemer tech (now Lawson state). I think he was pretty happy with the instruction he received.

I've considered taking classes and getting certified myself. I'm self employed in a specialized field. If something happened to my business it would be hard for me to get a job locally earning a decent wage. I've considered training in either HVAC or welding.  Seems like both would help keep my options open in a troubling economy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
what kind of welding and what exactly do you want to do?

i taught myself to use a stick welder this year. not hard at all but it takes practice to make things clean. i'd trust my self to make small repairs around the house stuff. commercial stuff i wouldn't even consider trying.

No real reason other than adding a skill that could come in handy. In all honesty the Stick is probably what I will use (cost). But with the class I was thinking I would get the opportunity to use different equipment and learn different styles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top