BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2009 6:04:13 AM EDT
Anybody go?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Yeah–– was there yesterday for a couple of hours. Didn't see a lot of ammo. Lots of friendly people, some deals, lots of overpriced stuff. I bought a (nicely) sporterized 1917 Eddystone for $250 from a private party, and that made me really happy.

Dealers said folks were hanging onto their money pretty tightly, but that this is usual around Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear that - hopefully the shows will get better. Congratulations on the Eddystone. For $250 I'd have bought it if the sporterization was done decently. They are nice guns. Will make an excellent hunting rifle. If you decide to send it on sometimes let me know. My favorite hunting gun is a sporterized mauser 98.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I ended up sharing a table with Glen and Gary from G&G. While I didn't sell squat, I did meet some great folks & made some new friends. Although gun shows exist for folks to make a buck, there really is a great group of regular sellers that would give you the shirt off their backs.  I enjoy hanging around with other gun folks. There’s a lot of knowledge in that room, sometimes you just have to sort through the BS to get to it!  Plus, It’s fun to swap stories with the old timers.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good to hear that - hopefully the shows will get better. Congratulations on the Eddystone. For $250 I'd have bought it if the sporterization was done decently. They are nice guns. Will make an excellent hunting rifle. If you decide to send it on sometimes let me know. My favorite hunting gun is a sporterized mauser 98.

Thanks–– I'll keep you in mind.

I'm not entirely sold on the whole cock-on-closing idea, but I love the feel of that rifle and the beautiful sights on it. Now I just need to find a place to hunt next year.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 5:30:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not entirely sold on the whole cock-on-closing idea,

Just a suggestion, since the gun is at least 90 years old, do a safety check before using it for hunting. The safety lever on the right side should solidly lock the firing pin. Always be sure it is flipped completely all the way up. Its easy to not do that. What I do with my British rifles with the same safety is to load a round with only the primer (no powder, no bullet). Upon chambering the gun is ready to fire. Engage safety, pull trigger. Should not fire. Take gun and hit the butt solidly on a hard surface several times. Watch that the safety lever stays engaged. Pull trigger after each time. If the safety stays engaged then ease it to the rear a little at a time and pull the trigger. When the gun fires you will know where the break point is for the safety. Since I use a climbing stand I don't chamber until I'm solidly up and ready and I unload when getting ready to climb down. The Mauser I use has a flip that rotates 90' clockwise and is under the scope so its more difficult to accidentally unsafe. The British Pattern 14 Rifle (Eddystone in 30-06) are easier to accidentally unsafe because of the safety lever location. You can slide the gun across something or I've done it with a gloved hand.
They are great guns.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Thanks–– I checked it out and determined that the safety is solid up until it is about 1/8" from fully forward. Spring tension seems good on the safety, too.

I read some interweb banter regarding the brittleness of some Eddystone receivers and that has me wanting to pull the action out of the wood to look at the receiver ring all the way around. It sure would be a bummer to find cracks. I'm looking forward to shooting some Pyrkal through it to check it out–– just not sure when.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top