Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2009 12:14:33 PM EDT
I need to rent or borrow a geiger counter.
I doubt the local equipment rental company has one.
Can a GSHTF member heLp me out?
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
where you located in Mississippi?
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Hattiesburg.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
ebay
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If the purpose is not nefarious, call around and find a nuclear pharmacy or call a loocal hospital and ask for the nuclear medicine department.  They may be willing to help you out.

I have 2, but I ma in B 'Ham, Al.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
sportsmans guide  $70  i think
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one down on the coast.   How long do you need it for?
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Remember it's an implosion
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got one down on the coast.   How long do you need it for?

1-2 weeks.

Ive got this adventure lined up. As wel all know, its a real adventure if you must be aware of radioactivity.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:48:08 AM EDT
[#9]
If you will potentially be exposed to radiation, the person or organization allowing you to go should provide safety measures.

If you are just going on your own (like a vacation to Chernobyl), you need to know what kind of radiation you might face.

I think that those $70 geiger counters are OK for gamma, can do a little for beta, but are useless for alpha radiation.

I have a guy who knows all about that stuff. Cannot loan our instruments though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 4:26:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Do I hear a Tatum Salt Dome road trip in the works?
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do I hear a Tatum Salt Dome road trip in the works?

I think  you have deduced the plot watson
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I got awfully close to my intended destination.
.25 miles south according to my GPS. I had to use a machete to clear a trail at some times.

My tinfoil was on too tight. At .25 miles from the "zone" I got a mysterious "wrong number" on my cell phone.
I know they had tracked me and could see me on the spy satellite. Instantly I made a U turn and GTFO, then carefully watched for black helicopters on the way home, with the phone and GPS turned off.

Link Posted: 9/1/2009 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
.25 miles south according to my GPS. I had to use a machete to clear a trail at some times.

My tinfoil was on too tight. At .25 miles from the "zone" I got a mysterious "wrong number" on my cell phone.
I know they had tracked me and could see me on the spy satellite. Instantly I made a U turn and GTFO, then carefully watched for black helicopters on the way home, with the phone and GPS turned off.

What the hell have you been doin man? Maybe your gas tube wasn't all that got melted in KY.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I am so lost its not even funny. Whats a "Tatum Salt Dome"??
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

+1 do tell.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

pull the batteries man pull the batteries.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 do tell.

This

After passing many large spiders and spider webs across the road along the way, the effects of radiation may be suspected;

OP- have you completed your family?

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#19]
http://www.mensetmanus.net/salmon-sterling-site/

Only Nuke detonation site east of the mississippi iirc.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 do tell.

This

After passing many large spiders and spider webs across the road along the way, the effects of radiation may be suspected;

I am sure the lil ones will all have superpowers

It is true...Those large spiders are the common yellow garden spider and are alot larger than normal close to GZ.
The creepy part is the silver baby spiders(which ironically are not that small).  They glow in the daylight from being so reflective. ..............

I am going in there is a HS buddy, who is a wildlife officer , sometime this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#21]
The whole point of doing it underground in a salt dome was to provide sufficient shielding from the radiation released from the blast and provide a nice stable environment to contain all of the activated material. You shouldn't need a Geiger counter to go there... unless your digging around AT ground zero.

When I get back home from deployment, I'd be interested in joining someone on an excursion out there, too. As a nuke from MS, it really appeals to my inner nerd.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 do tell.

This

I am sure the lil ones will all have superpowers

It is true...Those large spiders are the common yellow garden spider and are alot larger than normal close to GZ.
The creepy part is the silver baby spiders(which ironically are not that small).  They glow in the daylight from being so reflective. ..............

I am going in there is a HS buddy, who is a wildlife officer , sometime this weekend.

Have fun, I always wanted to see the area where we lit off two nukes in MS...even if it was underground...wonder what that did for the groundwater...

I'm a Hattiesburgian for the time being while in Nursing school at William Carey.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The whole point of doing it underground in a salt dome was to provide sufficient shielding from the radiation released from the blast and provide a nice stable environment to contain all of the activated material. You shouldn't need a Geiger counter to go there... unless your digging around AT ground zero.

When I get back home from deployment, I'd be interested in joining someone on an excursion out there, too. As a nuke from MS, it really appeals to my inner nerd.

Pm me whn you get back, Im always up for an adventure.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I take it if I can arrange an open house event, many people will show up. Let me work on that.

Why.. I just cant bring people in there illegally. All by myself is a different song. The tinfoil factor is way off the chart.
What I can do is allow some range time on my property for some blasting,  R&R , cooking, and general BS. maybe camping.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#25]
UPDATE..

I got to go into the Salmon Site with the possum police.
It sure is an interesting, and desolate property.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
UPDATE..

I got to go into the Salmon Site with the possum police.
It sure is an interesting, and desolate property.

See anything interesting?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I take it if I can arrange an open house event, many people will show up. Let me work on that.

Why.. I just cant bring people in there illegally. All by myself is a different song. The tinfoil factor is way off the chart.
What I can do is allow some range time on my property for some blasting,  R&R , cooking, and general BS. maybe camping.

We all do need to have a Hattiesburg gathering somewhere and do some blasting!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#28]

We all do need to have a Hattiesburg gathering somewhere and do some blasting!

Brooklyn Range?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:33:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Brooklyn range, Eply, someone's pasture, it doesnt matter to me as long as there are cool guns and lots of shootin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top