Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2009 6:51:47 PM EDT
I'm sure this had been asked but, the links at the top of the forum didn't work for me and I couldn't find anything with a search.

I'll be driving thru in a few days and, of course, I will be carrying.  AFAIK my SC CWP is not recognized by MS or AL but I have a non-resident Florida permit which is recognized by both states.  

My questions are:
1) If I'm pulled over while carrying, am I required to notify the officer that I'm armed?
2) What's the deal with places (gas stations, for example) that are posted 'no firearms'?  Does the sign carry any legal weight?  

thanks, y'all

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont know what area of AL your going through, but Birmingham area doesnt use signs like that.  I carry every where I go concealed, no one knows I have one.

As  for telling an Officer you have one, that is up to you.  Different Officers provide different reactions. Some are cool about it, some are "GET OUT OF THE CAR AND LICK THE DIRT!!!" gung-ho type.  We have them both.

But if they ask, then you need to tell them.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:11:08 AM EDT
[#2]
for AL

1. No requirement
2. The signs are not recogonized by state law, you get in trouble if you are asked to leave and you refuse...
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If your permit is not recognized by Ms. then you can't carry outside of your vehicle. Vehicles are considered extension of your home here, and you can have it in he glovebox, under or on the seat is cool too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I should be GTG with my non-resident FL permit.  I just needed to check on the notification thing, here in SC if we are asked for ID by a LEO we are required to present our permit and tell the officer if we are armed or not.

The signs here are legally binding (on the rare occasion you see them) if they are a certain size, wording, placement, etc. if it's not a proper sign then you can ignore it.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
as far as notifying the officer goes.  I wouldn't worry about it unless he specifically asks if you have any weapons on you.  I as LEO in Birmingham that same question just last month and he said if it was him he wouldn't mention it unless the officer inquires about searching you or the vehicle.

as far as the sign issue at gas stations, I doubt you'll have a problem with it.  I've seen VERY few signs in the area (legit or not).
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think that you have to notify.  I always do, it has never produced a negative reaction..... in fact it usually produces a positive.  I do it just in case..... I wouldn't want to take the chance of some kind of colossal cluster fuck happening.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
as far as notifying the officer goes.  I wouldn't worry about it unless he specifically asks if you have any weapons on you.  I as LEO in Birmingham that same question just last month and he said if it was him he wouldn't mention it unless the officer inquires about searching you or the vehicle.

as far as the sign issue at gas stations, I doubt you'll have a problem with it.  I've seen VERY few signs in the area (legit or not).

Thanks and welcome to the site!

Quoted:
I don't think that you have to notify.  I always do, it has never produced a negative reaction..... in fact it usually produces a positive.  I do it just in case..... I wouldn't want to take the chance of some kind of colossal cluster fuck happening.

Yeah, I'll probably notify anyway as a courtesy to the officer.  I don't want to take the chance of a colossal clusterfuck either!
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#8]
You can't carry outside of your vehicle in MS w/out a permit except:

carrying to/from range
carrying to/from home, place of business
(and I believe an old case somewhere about carrying to/from a hotel... don't quote me on that)

As far as getting pulled over... you don't have to show them a permit we don't recognize here, and you can carry in a car w/out a permit, no biggie.  you don't have to tell teh cop you are carrying.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't want to take the chance of a colossal clusterfuck either!

Unwritten rule #5 of handling firearms?  Do everything in your power to avoid getting shot by someone else?  Thats the way I look at it anyway...
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

carrying to/from range
(and I believe an old case somewhere about carrying to/from a hotel... don't quote me on that)

As far as getting pulled over... you don't have to show them a permit we don't recognize here, and you can carry in a car w/out a permit, no biggie.  you don't have to tell teh cop you are carrying.

This seems straightforward, but just to clarify... . As an out-of-of stater (for now), with a CHL not recognized in MS, I can drive around MS with my gun in the console of the truck, or in my purse. And (assuming you're right about the hotel thing) I can have my gun in my purse and go into the hotel (the one we stay at isn't posted). When I get out of my truck, I need to secure my weapon in the console. And if stopped, I do not need to notify. Is this correct?

Here's a question, though. Suppose I have my gun in my purse and am legitimately in someone else's vehicle. Is this legal?

Thanks

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 3:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

carrying to/from range

This seems straightforward, but just to clarify... . As an out-of-of stater (for now), with a CHL not recognized in MS, I can drive around MS with my gun in the console of the truck, or in my purse. (YES)

And (assuming you're right about the hotel thing) I can have my gun in my purse and go into the hotel (the one we stay at isn't posted). (Honestly, I would probably check it into my luggage)

When I get out of my truck, I need to secure my weapon in the console. [red(You don't have to, but, you don't want it stolen!)[/red]

And if stopped, I do not need to notify. Is this correct? [red] (correct based on MS law, some will notify b/c they think the cop will go easy on them, etc... etc... i figure if i hand you a permit that says i can be armed, and you are trained to treat everyone as they are armed..... you follow me?)[/red]

Here's a question, though. Suppose I have my gun in my purse and am legitimately in someone else's vehicle. Is this legal?  [red] (It doesn't matter who's vehicle you're in.  if you can legally possess a gun, you can legally possess a gun in anyone vehicle.) [/red]

Thanks

Marica,

SOrry for the late reply.... sorry again, apparently i ca'nt make my edits to your text red?!?!  anyways, read your question and where it says (red) those are my answers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I can understand certain mixed reactions with respect to a midwestern cop, but down here, it just makes sense down south where most cops don't shit their pants over such things. Even if they don't require notification, it is the kind of courtesy that may go a long way with respect to your treatment while detained, and the reverse (even though legally permissible) may cause the reverse reaction. I have also found a well-made firearm is often the equivalent of the male set of DDs. I have had two opportunities for tickets in the past couple of years that didn't happen, and I am quite certain that my attitude and my 1911 both played parts in averting them.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can understand certain mixed reactions with respect to a midwestern cop, but down here, it just makes sense down south where most cops don't shit their pants over such things. Even if they don't require notification, it is the kind of courtesy that may go a long way with respect to your treatment while detained, and the reverse (even though legally permissible) may cause the reverse reaction. I have also found a well-made firearm is often the equivalent of the male set of DDs. I have had two opportunities for tickets in the past couple of years that didn't happen, and I am quite certain that my attitude and my 1911 both played parts in averting them.

It's a per-stop basis for me.  I will make that judgment at that time.  I can't say that for every southern cop I've met that they have equally been anti-shit-their-pants over my gun.  Some of the Madison cops I've dealt with.... you'd thought I just got done holding up a bank or something.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I have found that while it is legal for you to have it in your vehicle, it can not be touching your person. This from several highly placed LEO's. This would imply that you intend to leave the vehicle with the weapon concealed on your person. So don't have it in an IWB/OWB while in the vehicle. Women enjoy the less threatening front so you'll probably not have a problem with the informing but I have had the "lick the dirt" response, most notably from "bored city types"
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have found that while it is legal for you to have it in your vehicle, it can not be touching your person. This from several highly placed LEO's. This would imply that you intend to leave the vehicle with the weapon concealed on your person. So don't have it in an IWB/OWB while in the vehicle. Women enjoy the less threatening front so you'll probably not have a problem with the informing but I have had the "lick the dirt" response, most notably from "bored city types"

That is complete bull****.   Have your highly placed LEO's point out this particular variation in the law for me, as I need to know this kind of stuff.  There is no provision that says this, and they are just making stuff up.  They might "infer" something, based on your above statement, but it's BS as far as the actual, written, MS code of 1972.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks! This helps a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top