Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2009 1:06:46 PM EDT
I'm a college student at LSU and a member of an organization called Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.  Our goal is to legislation to make it legal for concealed carry permit holders to concealed carry on a public college campus.  We want to remove language restricting college carry from the books and add a portion that would prevent schools from outlawing it themselves.  The full text of the bill is available here: HB 27

Reminder: CCW holders must meet a total of 16 requirements to be eligible.  These include an age of 21+ (which corresponds to a college student late in their junior year or later), a criminal background check, mental health exam, substance abuse test, 100% accuracy qualification, etc.  In addition, the entire process is regulated by the LA State Police. For further info, refer to their booklet available here: http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chRuleBook08.pdf)

We proposed a similar bill last year, HB 199, which had tremendous backing in committee (ulitmately winning 11-3, but lost when on the floor.  This year we are optimistic.  HB 27 is sponsored by Rep. Wooton of Belle Chasse and falls under the Criminal Justice Committee.  Please email anyone representing an area you live/work in to show your support.

List of Criminal Justice Committee Members
click on the members name for their contact info.

If none of the representatives listed below represent an area where you work/live, then please email a representative from your area that is not in the committee.  (Also representatives like it when you include your name and hometown in your emails.)

ETA: If you haven't heard, last year LSU experienced a campus crime wave including a double homicide in campus apartments and several armed robberies.  A girl that I graduated from high school with was the victim of one such robbery.  She was approached in the parking lot of our dorm, robbed, and then the suspect shot at her as he walked away.  A few days later, I found a handful of .22lr bullets, the same caliber the suspect fired at my friend, spilled in the lobby of my dorm.  A short distance away, an exterior door that was usually locked had been propped open.  I notified the RAs and administration, but all they did was walk the halls and tell me not to tell anyone because that might "scare them".
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The session begins soon so, send out those emails ASAP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top