Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 3:04:20 PM EDT
I finally decided to start shooting again after my move from KY down here to AL.  I called up the president of the EAGC and asked if I could see the range today.  He said yes, and we met about an hour later.  The president is a very nice man named Alan Lavender, and from what I could pick up, he is financing this thing out of his own pocket while looking for members to help with the load.  I think all the property the range occupies is his (his house is very close by) and he decided to put it to use rather than letting it sit around.

It took me only a few minutes from looking at the range to decide I wanted to start shooting there.  I had gotten used to being very close to Knob Creek while in KY, and this range goes a long way in replicating that range.  There are several pistol bays of about 25yds each.  They all have target holders that shooters can customize to their preferences, as well obstacles and cover that can be used to make many different scenarios.  There is even a pistol range that has steel plates to shoot at.  The rifle range is 100yds long and has plenty of room on it for other people to shoot.

I quickly wrote a check for the membership fee, and Mr. Lavender took down my information before going to make me a membership card and key to the gate.  As soon as all was said and done, I commenced shooting on one of the pistol ranges and rifle range for about an hour, which was all I could stand out in the heat.  

This range has lots of great potential and will only get better as more and more people join.  As I understand it, I was the seventh member to join so far.  Hopefully more will do so in the coming future.  If you live in eastern AL, I highly recommend this club.  I'm looking very forward to having a regular place to shoot that is as close to the equal of Knob Creek as possible.  See you out there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]
where is the east Al gun club?

i'm at ft ruckernd i heard that there's a gun club around here, but i can't find out any info on it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it is around Smith Station area. Don't know exactly, but I've narrowed it down to being between Opelika and Phenix City.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Its in Phenix City.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it is around Smith Station area. Don't know exactly, but I've narrowed it down to being between Opelika and Phenix City.

I am also a member. It is very close to Phenix City. If you go out HWY 80 toward Crawford you will see hwy 169 right before you get to the Big Cat gas station on the left. Take a left on 169 and go about 2 miles. The club is on the right.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I finally decided to start shooting again after my move from KY down here to AL.  I called up the president of the EAGC and asked if I could see the range today.  He said yes, and we met about an hour later.  The president is a very nice man named Alan Lavender, and from what I could pick up, he is financing this thing out of his own pocket while looking for members to help with the load.  I think all the property the range occupies is his (his house is very close by) and he decided to put it to use rather than letting it sit around.

It took me only a few minutes from looking at the range to decide I wanted to start shooting there.  I had gotten used to being very close to Knob Creek while in KY, and this range goes a long way in replicating that range.  There are several pistol bays of about 25yds each.  They all have target holders that shooters can customize to their preferences, as well obstacles and cover that can be used to make many different scenarios.  There is even a pistol range that has steel plates to shoot at.  The rifle range is 100yds long and has plenty of room on it for other people to shoot.

I quickly wrote a check for the membership fee, and Mr. Lavender took down my information before going to make me a membership card and key to the gate.  As soon as all was said and done, I commenced shooting on one of the pistol ranges and rifle range for about an hour, which was all I could stand out in the heat.  

This range has lots of great potential and will only get better as more and more people join.  As I understand it, I was the seventh member to join so far.  Hopefully more will do so in the coming future.  If you live in eastern AL, I highly recommend this club.  I'm looking very forward to having a regular place to shoot that is as close to the equal of Knob Creek as possible.  See you out there.

I am sure that Alan told you that he is holding a class Saturday for new USPSA shooters. The last class that he had we great. Everyone had a good time and you should try to make it if you can.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#7]
that's a little to far for me to drive. i will keep looking around this area.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in Phenix City and would like to try it out... can one of you bring a guest (me?)
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm in Phenix City and would like to try it out... can one of you bring a guest (me?)

I can meet up with you one day and give you a tour of the place.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the kind words about the range guys.  I will continue to improve the range as funds allow.  I will be putting everything back into the range until it is as I envision it.  Covererd firing areas, clubhouse, etc.  I am not looking to make a living at this I just enjoy shooting and want to provide a place where everyone can enjoy the sport of shooting or just plinking with the kids.  99% of the people I have met through shooting are great guys and gals and I am proud to call them friends.  I hope to have a place that people will brag about being members of.  If anyone wants a tour of the range juat call me and I will be glad to show you around.  Again thanks for the kind words and support of the range.

Alan Lavender
Club President
East Alabama Gun Club
www.eastalabamagunclub.com
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Wubbman when is the next time you go shooting at the range?
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
The East Alabama Gun Club will host a USPSA Match August 17, 2008. There has been a lot of interest in this range and match. I hope we will have a good turn out.

Gates will be open on at 8am EST. Registration starts at 9 and shooting will begin at 10am EST.

East Alabama Gun Club, USPSA, and IDPA memberships are not required to participate in a match. Everyone is welcome!!!
Come out and have some fun!

Club President: Alan Lavender
706-888-3140

http://eagunclub.com/

Those of you who are planning on attending or are going to try to attend, please post. We would like to get an idea of how much interest is being generated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I went today.  I fired the hell out of the IBM M1 Carbine I got from the CMP last week (Alan, all that .30 Carbine brass on the rifle range is mine, though it will probably be gone by the time you go check...).  I also shot some targets on the pistol ranges with my Benellie SuperNova Tactical and Kimber 1911.  Overall, it was a great evening.  Let me know the next time you're going.  I will probably wait until next week or so to go again.  I'm going to start ordering paper targets online, and so I'll wait until they get here to go out.  Later.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I was out there Tuesday. I tried my hand on the steel plate racks. It was a blast. I am hoping to get out there Sunday to work on a few skills to get ready for the match in August. I am kinda nervous about shooting in an actual match but at the same time I can't wait. I do hope that most of the members get to meet each other at some point. Most everyone I have meet so far has been great.

See ya at the range
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I really like shooting the steel.  I can't wait until Alan gets ahold of a gong for the rifle range (he talked about it back when I joined).  I might come out Sunday, depending on the weather.  It will definately be in the afternoon-evening time frame.  I found out yesterday that the range faces west, so at sunset you are looking into the sun.  Not the end of the world, but a bit of an annoyance.  See you later.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I am keeping my eyes and ears open for a piece of armor plate or similiar to put on the 100yd range.  If I have to end up buying one then it may take a while but I would like to see a couple pieces of steel on the rifle pit.  I have to be pretty particular about type of steel and placement for safety reasons so I may just have to end up buying one built specifically for rifle range use.  I know some of the pistol pits do face west but at least 2 ended up north/south along with the rifle pit facing north.  I had originally planned for everything to be north/south but the lay of the land did not make that possible without moving a lot more dirt.  I hope ya'll are enjoying the range and thank you for your support of East Alabama Gun Club and me.  See you guys on the firing line.  Later.

Alan Lavender
Club President
East Alabama Gun Club
www.eastalabamagunclub.com
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Robert and Wubbman, Are ya'll planning on attending the match on the 17th?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top