Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2008 8:03:32 AM EDT
Well I fipped back a few pages on your hometown forum and couldn't find anything on this subject.  What I'm wondering is the wife, kids and I are thinking of going to NOLA in a week or two.  

I'd like to go tour the areas hit by Katrina.  9th Ward, gulf, etc.   My questions are is it all cleaned up?  Anything worth seeing?  Any ideas or suggestions of things to do?  Tours to do or avoid? etc.

We've been to NOLA several times in the past and done all the typical tourist crap but we also like to get back in the swamp areas and take some swamp tours and things to keep the kids interested while learing about the people, habitat, culture etc.  I'm hoping to also have them all visualize the plan for a rainy day and why.

I know where  a couple years late, but better late than never......again.

Thanks for any info.

T_I
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm heading to NOLA for a short vacation next weekend (staying near the quarter); I'd be interested in some of the responses to this thread.  

Also, any CCW advice for NOLA? From what I can tell, the only thing I need to look out for is carrying in a bar...
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Most areas were either cleaned up or abandoned. It's not as bad as many people think right now. The quarter is just as kicking as ever, and still smells like piss. If you go visit the ninth ward, you'll have to go through New Orleans East, and you're going to want a gun in the car. There isn't much left in the ninth ward, and it's all over-grown.

As far as CCW, no bars, churches (which I don't understand), government buildings, or any public event where a permit was required to put the event on (parades basically). Also be aware that if you get approached by an LEO in an "official manner" that you are required to inform them you are armed and have a permit, then submit to being disarmed. (complete non-sense, but it's the law.) This includes getting pulled over for a traffic violation.

Hope I helped.

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Most areas were either cleaned up or abandoned. It's not as bad as many people think right now. The quarter is just as kicking as ever, and still smells like piss. If you go visit the ninth ward, you'll have to go through New Orleans East, and you're going to want a gun in the car. There isn't much left in the ninth ward, and it's all over-grown.

As far as CCW, no bars, churches (which I don't understand), government buildings, or any public event where a permit was required to put the event on (parades basically). Also be aware that if you get approached by an LEO in an "official manner" that you are required to inform them you are armed and have a permit, then submit to being disarmed. (complete non-sense, but it's the law.) This includes getting pulled over for a traffic violation.

Hope I helped.

+1

And don't touch/pet their horses. I was on foot in one of the Wards and it was NOT a fun place to be. I was with a school group and our professor insisted on taking through this hell hole of a place (not sure where we were). We walked down the streets of what appeared to be a 3rd world country and their were lots of scary looking dudes that did not want us around. I'm very happy I had an extra mag and a BUG that day. I don't plan on going back to thaa part of town ever again. It's still a fun place though!
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The previous post pretty much sums it up for CCW.Pretty simple.The only thing I'll add is that no permit is required for your vehicle and if I was going to the ninth ward I'd bring a long-gun.YMMV.

Then again I wouldn't be going there unless I had to but I've also been there a shitload of times.IMO the only thing worth seeing is the D-Day museum.

Have fun(I guess) and stay safe.

I think I'll go to Newark,NJ. for my vacation.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as the bar thing goes, i did some research. LA state law states it must be an establishment with a Class A liquor license in order to ban us from the bar with our CCW. A Class A license is only issued to an establishment if they do not allow minors under the age of 18 in their establishment. If it happens to be a restaraunt like Applebees or Chilis or Outback, you can carry your gun and "legally" sit at the bar with your CCW since they allow in minors under 18 in which case they hold a Class G liquor license. I say "legally" because some dumbass cop will drag you out face first in NO through the piss infested sidewalks because he doesn't know the law.....not that i am a cop hater because i have plenty of friends that are LEO, but they have a lot of stupid ones out there.

As far as tourist crap, DDay museum is cool. You can also come up to Baton Rouge and check out the USS Kidd up by the capitol. The Audoban zoo isn't bad, and supposedly the aquarium is back up to almost 100% running capacity again which is located right on the riverfront by Canal St. There is also the riverboat rides on the Natchez that are kind of cool too. And that about sums up all the regular tourist traps we have.

And 1 more comment regarding a post above, listen to Michael Bane's podcast (www.downrange.tv) from back in June sometime. He does one about carrying a long rifle in the car. Very interesting rant that makes you think and something to consider if you are heading to the treachorous areas of the 9th ward and NO East.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
just hit i-10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top