Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 5:42:28 PM EDT
Hey ya'll. new to the site but a long term shooter. Unfortunatly my brother let his subscription slip after holgrum left. just wanted to give you a heads up about alabama state law (i need to go to the law library and research county law). There is no law that says you HAVE to carry concealed. in other words there is nothing to stop you from carrying openly. Here is an opinion written in 1975 by the attonery general. I did contact the current AG's office about six months ago and they said they knew about the opinion, and that it is still valid, but that next to no law enforcement agencies know about it, and you would probably still be picked up. a good lawyer can get you out of it though. Time to write your representative ladies and gentlemen. get it out there that we want open carry.

here is the link to the current state laws. and i'm in montgomery btw
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck.  I personally prefer concealed carry.  The majority of the folks here in Mobile aren't used to seeing non-LEO people with sidearms.  I doubt it would go over too well.

BTW, I think you linked to the wrong opinion.  The one you linked to is about carrying weapons at the workplace.  Was this the one you meant to link to?  As I read it, you would still need a pistol permit in order to get in your vehicle.  I suppose if you lived in a subdivision, you could walk around your neighborhood on foot with a non-concealed handgun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:21:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Aren't gun laws screwey? I can carry open in the middle of downtown B'ham. But if I get in my car, I have to take the gun off, the bullets out, and lock in my trunk. Makes a lot of sense to me. Guess I'll just start carrying my M16 openly
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Aren't gun laws screwey? I can carry open in the middle of downtown B'ham. But if I get in my car, I have to take the gun off, the bullets out, and lock in my trunk. Makes a lot of sense to me. Guess I'll just start carrying my M16 openly

What is the law with reguards to carrying something like an AR15 around or in your vehicle.  I never see anyone with loaded gun racks anymore.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the law with reguards to carrying something like an AR15 around or in your vehicle.  I never see anyone with loaded gun racks anymore.

it's pretty much legal. i still see <some> in montgomery doing it. my concern would be investing in a really nice weapon (store bought or built) and then having some hood rat treating it like a car stereo.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
There are MANY reasons why concealed is better.

Both for a car rifle or you personal CCW piece.

SG
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#9]

That law was passed a long time ago to prevent "road rage" which is a only recently been recognized.

There was a guy shot and killed by the cops in B'ham because he was carrying while cutting his lawn.  I would give more details, but there seems to be a complete lack of details.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There are MANY reasons why concealed is better.

Both for a car rifle or you personal CCW piece.

SG

Amen.  I carry open around the farm, at my fishin' pond, etc. but as concealed as I can possibly get it "in public."
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The thing is in his neighborhood, I would carry too.  It makes me nervous to even drive near that neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Bet the cops were arrested, tried, found guilty of 2nd degree murder, and are serving 25 to life
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Half of the police force was there.  They wanted to make sure that he did not improve anyone else's lawn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top