Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 7:53:56 PM EDT
Big show in Birmingham this weekend, anyone besides me going?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
What time do the doors open on Sunday?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be there on Sat afternoon after the clinic closes. Look for a bedraggled veterinarian.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I will be there on Saturday. I will be the one walking around with an H&K M1 super 90 for sale.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:35:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going this morning as well, taking a S&W M1076 to see if I can work up a trade.

Rick
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
How was the show? Any ammo deals? Got a cold or flu and when I exhale sound like two pieces of rubber rubbing together. On antibiotices since Monday. Tough stuff. Neighbor has had it for 3 weeks and now has some kind of breathing machine to use periodically. Co-worker's became pneumonia
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How was the show? Any ammo deals? Got a cold or flu and when I exhale sound like two pieces of rubber rubbing together. On antibiotices since Monday. Tough stuff. Neighbor has had it for 3 weeks and now has some kind of breathing machine to use periodically. Co-worker's became pneumonia

Very good turn out , but not many spending any money.
First AGCA show that I have ever seen so many dealers cover up their tables so early and call it a day.
No deals on AK ammo , 4-6 bucks a box range , Georgia Arms has .223 55gr FMJ reloads for $170 OTD , same as their net price , but no shipping.

Not a bad show , I sold enougth to cover the cost of a new fat .45  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd have to concur from a buyer's standpoint. The prices were about average for a show, with fewer than normal ripoff artists there (I only saw two tables of outrageously overpriced firearms there, the rest were within normal haggling range). Despite this, I didn't see much buying going on. The only guy that appeared to be making a lot of sales was selling reloading components. I bought a couple of pounds of powder from him and had to stand in line to pay for it.
I also picked up a couple of mag springs and green followers to try to rehab some horribly overworked mags I bought during the ban.

I heard no less than five sellers complaining LOUDLY about the lask of sales, and one near-fight break out between a couple of guys wotking a table. Seems one of them was complainig too often for the other's taste.
There were a lot of folks walking around looking to sell... mostly AR's in during-the-ban configuration, Remongton 742's/7400's, well cared for older american hunting-type bolt guns, and the occasional pimped-out SKS.
The thing that I thought was most strange was the relatively large number of dreadlocked/cornrowed inner-city youth types buying SKS's at every table that had them. I guess the PR value of the Birmingham Crack House Cop Shooting was indispensable to the sales of these firearms.
Before I am misunderstood on this point, they may have been normal law-abiding types just looking to defend their castles. If so, more power to them. If not, then 7.62X39 will be in high demand if the levees around Birmingham ever break and flood the city.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#8]
How 'bout the MK19 40mm machine gun?
No surplus .308 on Sunday except for 160 rounds of AUSSIE for $50...who bought it all up on Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd have to concur from a buyer's standpoint. The prices were about average for a show, with fewer than normal ripoff artists there (I only saw two tables of outrageously overpriced firearms there, the rest were within normal haggling range). Despite this, I didn't see much buying going on. The only guy that appeared to be making a lot of sales was selling reloading components. I bought a couple of pounds of powder from him and had to stand in line to pay for it.
I also picked up a couple of mag springs and green followers to try to rehab some horribly overworked mags I bought during the ban.

I heard no less than five sellers complaining LOUDLY about the lask of sales, and one near-fight break out between a couple of guys wotking a table. Seems one of them was complainig too often for the other's taste.
There were a lot of folks walking around looking to sell... mostly AR's in during-the-ban configuration, Remongton 742's/7400's, well cared for older american hunting-type bolt guns, and the occasional pimped-out SKS.
The thing that I thought was most strange was the relatively large number of dreadlocked/cornrowed inner-city youth types buying SKS's at every table that had them. I guess the PR value of the Birmingham Crack House Cop Shooting was indispensable to the sales of these firearms.
Before I am misunderstood on this point, they may have been normal law-abiding types just looking to defend their castles. If so, more power to them. If not, then 7.62X39 will be in high demand if the levees around Birmingham ever break and flood the city.
-Hobbit

Preparing for the new Castle Doctrine per D.A. Barber and the B'ham News
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Fo' Shizzle, Yo.

(I actually did overhear one of them say that while I was there).
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fo' Shizzle, Yo.

(I actually did overhear one of them say that while I was there).
-Hobbit

Maybe they will take on the drug dealers. Did you hi 5 him?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been to every gunshow in B,ham the last few years and in the last year I've noticed ( is it just me) all the blacks there. The only thing they look at are ak's sks's and semi auto pistols. But all I see them buying are sks's. I guess they can't afford ak's. Just my 2 cents. And hey, when did they all become nascar fans?     Benzbuilder
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#13]
That thing was scary, wow at the carnage you could wreak!     Benzbuilder
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I was able to trade my S&W M1076 for a NIB Ruger Super Redhawk.  6 rounds of 44mag sweetness!

FWIW:  I also took my XD357 to trade for something and no one would give it a 2nd look even though the gun is probably 98% or better.  357Sig just isn't very popular I guess.

I was there from around 9:30 or so until about 1:30.  It looked as if most dealers were doing a brisk business as I saw lots of cash change hands.  The dealers that had reasonable prices were selling their wares, but the overpriced junk was just sitting there as normal.  I saw an 1895 Nagant revolver priced at $299.00!    There were some Smith 19s & 66s with somewhat decent prices.  I tried to trade for a well used Smith M610, but the owner wouldn't even talk about taking the XD at all.  Somthing to think about if you ever want to buy a pistol in 357Sig.  Great round, it just isn't popular at all.

Rick
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:44:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Funny/sad story about a dealer and a Springfield Armory SOCOM II...

I was checking out the rifle.  It had a cheap red dot mounted on the forward rail.  I asked about the price.  He said $1500 with the sight.  Then he added that most guys would take that sight off and put an ACOG on it instead.

I guess he is not aware of the short eye relief on most ACOGs.  Sad that these guys can't just stick to what they know.

I did enjoy a heated discussion between a dealer and customer about whether or not the rear sight on an M1 Carbine was original or not.  I know nothing about vintage M1 Carbines but enjoyed the name calling none the less.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Missed it.  Out of town.  Got kidnapped.  I am going to try to make the Cullman show April 1,2.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
... The thing that I thought was most strange was the relatively large number of dreadlocked/cornrowed inner-city youth types buying SKS's at every table that had them. I guess the PR value of the Birmingham Crack House Cop Shooting was indispensable to the sales of these firearms...

My best buddy (Montgomey PD Detective, some of y'all met him when I brought him to an FOP shoot last year) swears that there's a sudden rash of shootings/arrests involving SKSs after every Montgomery gun show.  He personally knew of at least three within 48 hours of the last one.

Any B'ham LEO types here know for certain if anything similar happens in the Magic City?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Never owned an SKS, but I bet I could avoid having the trigger pull my finger.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top