Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 6:17:47 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I was pulled over off I-20 in Pell City, Alabama.  I got caught in a nasty speed trap where the speed limit was 70 and then abruptly dropped to 55.  I was caught going 78.  

The reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone knows much about the court in this area and the likelyhood of me talking them out of reporting this to my insurance company.  Besides this incident, I have a perfect driving record.  

Any thoughts?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a big NO NO.  There is road construction in that area and they just love to give tickets.  When you saw the sign, you should have immediately started slowing.  Some of the signs that they use are portable and conditions vary and locations vary.  I have even seen 70MPH signs visible in 55MPH zones.  Chances are that the fines will be doubled because it is a construction area.

Your only hope is to get pictures and prove that you could not have slowed down before passing the sign, but I would not bet on it.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That's no speed trap. You just got caught.

Probably in the $300 range depending on how it was written up. Or around $150 if a regular ticket.

Don't speed through Death Valley.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Probably in the $300 range depending on how it was written up. Or around $150 if a regular ticket.

Yeah like I said, my record shows I am not  a habitual speeder, I just wasn't paying attention.  

They fine says $210.  

So is the Pell City people merciful?  I have no problem paying the fine - I broke the law.   Is there any chancein hell of getting them to not put this on my record?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah like I said, my record shows I am not  a habitual speeder, I just wasn't paying attention.  

They fine says $210.  

So is the Pell City people merciful?  I have no problem paying the fine - I broke the law.   Is there any chancein hell of getting them to not put this on my record?

I really have no idea. You would need to talk to the prosecutor in the case. I do know they are showing no mercy with speeders through that area. They might let you pay the fine and keep it off you record but really need to talk to the DA.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I doubt they'll grant you any leniency at all. You were exceeding the 70 mph speed limit before it dropped to 55.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:45:26 AM EDT
[#6]
If you were issued a "UTC" (uniformed traffic ticket) there is only one thing you can do to keep it off your record. All UTC convictions are sent to the Dept Public Safety and entered on your driving record.

Go to court and ask for "Driving School".
It will take a Saturday , cost as much as the ticket and you will still have to pay Court Cost but if you pass they will void the ticket and not send it in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you were issued a "UTC" (uniformed traffic ticket) there is only one thing you can do to keep it off your record. All UTC convictions are sent to the Dept Public Safety and entered on your driving record.

Go to court and ask for "Driving School".
It will take a Saturday , cost as much as the ticket and you will still have to pay Court Cost but if you pass they will void the ticket and not send it in.

I was considering taking a defensive driving course.  Would that be about the same thing?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top