Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 3:02:13 PM EDT
Which representatives do we need to write about changing the laws banning SBR and SBS in Alabama?

It sure is a strange situation in this state when MGs, supressors, and DDs are legal and SBRs and SBSs are not
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
all of them except the inner city ones
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think anyone will touch it this session (I could be wrong & sincerely hope I am).  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
all of them except the inner city ones

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard the the Short Barreled Rifles were illegal in AL, but I could not find the law that says it.  I've read all the AL state gun laws that I know of.  

Where is it that it says this?  My new hobby is reading gun laws!

That's pretty sad right?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
The Code of Alabama 1975

Section 13A-11-62

Definitions.

For purposes of this division, the following terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

(1) FIREARM. Definition is same as provided in Section 13A-8-1(4).

(2) RIFLE. Any weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each pull of the trigger.

(3) SHOTGUN. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

(4) SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE. A rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(5) SHORT-BARRELED SHOTGUN. A shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(Acts 1982, No. 82-430, §1.)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Section 13A-11-63

Possession, sale, etc., of short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun; applicability of section.

(a) A person who possesses, obtains, receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun is guilty of a Class C felony.

(b) This section does not apply to a peace officer who possesses, obtains, receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun in the course of or in connection with his official duties.

(Acts 1982, No. 82-430, §2.)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank goodness for AOWs and pistol rifle calibers
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]
so, would a short-barrelled shotgun be one whose barrel is less than 18" from muzzle to chamber or muzzle to the end of where the top of the barrel ends.  Example - the top and bottom of the barrel in this picture are two different lengths:

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I, personally, would go with the lesser of my measurements just to be safe.  IOW, I wouldn't want an overzealous LEO/prosecutor to be able to point to even a section/segment of the barrel that is less than the legal minimum.  (I have too much time/$$$/love invested in my guns to give them up over a technicality. )

(Just my take, I have no idea about relevant caselaw... but I'll ask "Mrs. HardShell" if she knows tonight. )
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Go here: www.nraila.org/

On the right side click "Write your Representatives"

I wrote back on the 12th of Jan. and got a response from my Senator (Ted Little) saying that he was surprised that they were illegal given Alabama's general firearms policy of "limited, responsible use" and that he'd look into it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for posting those State Statutes!

Over all length of 26".  What happens if you have a pistol grip with a fold up stock on a shotgun.  I guess the barrel has to be 18" and the entire thing with stock folded up has to be 26"?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
... Over all length of 26".  What happens if you have a pistol grip with a fold up stock on a shotgun.  I guess the barrel has to be 18" and the entire thing with stock folded up has to be 26"?...

Even with a PG and a folding stock (or no stock, for that matter), the receiver/PG on most (if not all) shotguns is long enough that, with an 18" bbl, OAL will be >26".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top