Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 5:06:05 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, although I've lurked around for a while. I was wondering if anyone knew where one could shoot(AR and 1911)in North Alabama. I live in Athens and usually go to the Swan Creek range, but it is closed due to waterfowl season. Also, does anyone get together ofr fellowship and shooting, I would like to participate. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
We get together a few times a year at the FOP Range in Pleasant Grove which is just outside B'ham. A blast the time I went
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
We get together a few times a year at the FOP Range in Pleasant Grove which is just outside B'ham. A blast the time I went

+1.  Ask Beer Slayer how much time it takes to link 30cal ammo

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Hello,

We live just a few minutes from you in Elkmont AL. It's pretty sad there is almost no pubilc places to shoot in North Al.

We have a small gunsmithing business and a 100yd private range in our back yard. Email me some time and we will get together for a shoot in the future. We are very busy right now with the shop but we will most likley have a shoot after the holidays. We call our get togethers Leadfests. I have a bunch of friends that are big time class 2/3 (NFA)guys and they always bring over some wild stuff to shoot.

If things go real well over the next couple of years we are planing on opening a full time gunsmithing/gun shop with a complete indoor 10 stall pistol range and a 100yd underground  rifle range in the Elkmont area not far from I-65. Of course that all depends on funding and other factors. We are going to try to buy the land for the business in 2006.

Take care and Merry Christmas

Eric & Jennifer (Owners)
Elkmont Arms & Aerospace
256-233-2395 shop phone
[email protected]  email
www.elkmontarms.com
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like ya'll have a nice outfit there in Elkmont.....If you don't mind, myself and a couple others would like to join you on your next shoot out the backyard.....I am just south of Decatur.

Thanks,
GhostCat
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Im in the same situation here.  I live in the south huntsville area and used to shoot in hazlegreen at my freinds place. He even had a burm set up but some ass head devolpers built houses every where and people complianed about it. Oh well can't do that any more. My freind bought the property so he could get out of the city to do things like that and now he is peed off since he can't shoot own his own place anymore. All the places I know of have been bought to build new stupid houses or closed because some retard had an accident.

Seems like that you can't shoot here and you can't go there to do any thing. Only thing that you can do now is stay you ass at home, get fat, and remember that good ol days of yesterday. Hell you can't even go mudding or 4 wheeling. You got to know somebody and kiss ass or pay a fee to go out and in enjoy life now. Hell even if do get to go shooting then you are going to pay the price. With ammo, access fees,  charges and surecharges, gas, and all that crap you are broke for the rest of the month.

I been really thinking about joining a shooting club but Im not sure if it is worth the gas and the aggrivation to have to put up with some people's snoby attidudes. I been to one and they acted like they were the shit and they had that stuck up new age harly rider complex. Their more intrested in bragging about their stupid stuff then shooting it, their stuff was so great because they spent tens of thousands of dollars for what they have and because of that they knew everything.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
In N. Alabama there are 4 public ranges (that I'm aware of) to use when Swan is shut down for the season.

1.  Skyline in N. Jackson County.  Fairly nice facility with a 200 yard range.

2.  Bankhead National Forest in Winston County.  Goes out to 100 yards and is quite run down.

3. Maple Ridge Gun Club in Cullman.  This range charges $20.00 but it does go out to 500 yards.  On my vist there,  I figured that black rifles were frowned upon.  Also there's only something like 4 or 5 positions on the long range for shooters.  This one would be a good weekday range to use.  The Saturday I was there, it was quite crowded.

4.  There's a public range located off Hwy 411 N. of Gadsden.  It was re-built several years ago and is a nice facility that goes out to 100 yards.

Hope this helps,

Rick
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In N. Alabama there are 4 public ranges (that I'm aware of) to use when Swan is shut down for the season.

2.  Bankhead National Forest in Winston County.  Goes out to 100 yards and is quite run down.

3. Maple Ridge Gun Club in Cullman.  This range charges $20.00 but it does go out to 500 yards.  On my vist there,  I figured that black rifles were frowned upon.  Also there's only something like 4 or 5 positions on the long range for shooters.  This one would be a good weekday range to use.  The Saturday I was there, it was quite crowded.

4.  There's a public range located off Hwy 411 N. of Gadsden.  It was re-built several years ago and is a nice facility that goes out to 100 yards.

Hope this helps,

Rick

A couple more places:

- Blue and Grey at the Guntersville Dam area.
- Public range about 12 miles south of Wren (is that you're #2?)
- Arab Practical Shooters just north of Arab (mostly pistols)
- There's a range off of Hobbs Island Road, never been there and can't recall the name.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Im in the same situation here.  I live in the south huntsville area and used to shoot in hazlegreen at my freinds place. He even had a burm set up but some ass head devolpers built houses every where and people complianed about it. Oh well can't do that any more. My freind bought the property so he could get out of the city to do things like that and now he is peed off since he can't shoot own his own place anymore. All the places I know of have been bought to build new stupid houses or closed because some retard had an accident.

Seems like that you can't shoot here and you can't go there to do any thing. Only thing that you can do now is stay you ass at home, get fat, and remember that good ol days of yesterday. Hell you can't even go mudding or 4 wheeling. You got to know somebody and kiss ass or pay a fee to go out and in enjoy life now. Hell even if do get to go shooting then you are going to pay the price. With ammo, access fees,  charges and surecharges, gas, and all that crap you are broke for the rest of the month.

I been really thinking about joining a shooting club but Im not sure if it is worth the gas and the aggrivation to have to put up with some people's snoby attidudes. I been to one and they acted like they were the shit and they had that stuck up new age harly rider complex. Their more intrested in bragging about their stupid stuff then shooting it, their stuff was so great because they spent tens of thousands of dollars for what they have and because of that they knew everything.

Alabama has a law that you can register your property as a gun range with the state. Once you do that, new neighbors can bitch all they want but TS.   Nobody can shut you down. Need to get your buddy to do that or at least look into it. Don't know the rules on distance from other homes or road before registration.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps,

Rick

A couple more places:

- Blue and Grey at the Guntersville Dam area.
- Public range about 12 miles south of Wren (is that you're #2?)
- Arab Practical Shooters just north of Arab (mostly pistols)
- There's a range off of Hobbs Island Road, never been there and can't recall the name.

Good luck.

Merlin

Merlin, my #2 range is the one you mention 12 miles S. of Wren.

Aren't the B&G & the Arab ranges membership type?  

I would like to know more about the range off Hobbs Island.

FWIW, most likely my son & myself will be visiting the Bankhead Range tomorrow 12-27.  Anyone that may want to join in with us is most welcome.  We'll be shooting mostly handguns, but any legal firearm is welcome.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Any one a member of the Hartselle gun club?

How are the people?

What are the membership fees and dues?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Any one a member of the Hartselle gun club?

How are the people?

What are the membership fees and dues?

I would like to know more about this club as well.  This would be a much shorter drive than any other range around here.  Several years ago I had a # for the club, but I was never able to make contact with anyone.  

I do know that the Hartselle club used to be strickly for practical type pistol shooting.  Course that was 30 years ago when they shot at an old sand pit out on Vaughn Bridge Rd.

BTW, the Gadsden range now goes out to 200 yards.

Rick

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Merlin, my #2 range is the one you mention 12 miles S. of Wren.

Aren't the B&G & the Arab ranges membership type?  

I would like to know more about the range off Hobbs Island.

FWIW, most likely my son & myself will be visiting the Bankhead Range tomorrow 12-27.  Anyone that may want to join in with us is most welcome.  We'll be shooting mostly handguns, but any legal firearm is welcome.  

Thanks. Yes, B&G and Arab are membership clubs,  I haven't belonged to Arab in about 10 years; B& G about 4 years now.

B&G has a web site, don't have the url.  I found out about Arab by driving down there one Sunday, the gate was open and there was some people there.  It's about a mile north of Arab on the west side of the road near a "Police Jurisdiction" sign.

Merlin
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#13]
The range in Arab is membership only.  The fee is $30/yr last time I heard.  I have only been there once during an IDPA match.  Decent enough pistol range.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The range in Arab is membership only.  The fee is $30/yr last time I heard.  I have only been there once during an IDPA match.  Decent enough pistol range.

Is the range Pistols only?  

Contact info?  Arab ain't that far from me.

Rick
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#15]
It's possible to do some short range rifle work, but there's no 100 yard range.  This info is dated, however, since I haven't been there since the mid-90's.  

Don't have a current contact.  It used to be Tom Badham, don't know how if that's still good.

Did find the old map, though:  ARSC map  Guess they haven't gotten to the 'net age yet.

Merlin

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Rick,
To my knowledge, it is NOT pistol only.  A buddy of mine is a member there, I will get the contact info from  him and send it to ya.

Where are you at??  I am not that far from Arab either.

James
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Where are you at??  I am not that far from Arab either.

James

I live in nothern Cullman County.  My "home" range is Swan, so I'm always open looking for a decent place to shoot.  Maple Ridge is close to me, but at $20.00 a visit, that can get expensive.  Hartselle & Arab are both within an easy drive with Hartselle being some bit closer.  I think I know where that range is & I could be there in 20 minutes or so.

Rick  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been in the Hartselle Gun Club for about 3 years.

Its Private, costs a whopping $60 a year (I think). We have a 50 yd pistol range. The rifle range is officially 100yard, but my buddies and I cut into the woods to 200yards. Both ranges have a some benches and shelter. And we also climbed the hill behind the range and put up two 12inch steel dingers at 625 yards!!! There will be more steel on the hill this winter at various distances. They have IDPA monthly and some other competitions.

I'd be happy to hook up anyone for a tour.

The Hobbs Island range that was mentioned was most likely Shootrite Firearms Academy which was about 5.6 miles east of 231 on Hobbs Island Road. Tiger has since moved his operation to the Guntersville area (Langston, AL) and is presently teaching classes there.

The Arab range is in a rock quarry and I believe it is also private. I have shot IDPA there and I am quite sure they do 3-gun matches as well.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:02:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've been in the Hartselle Gun Club for about 3 years.

Its Private, costs a whopping $60 a year (I think). We have a 50 yd pistol range. The rifle range is officially 100yard, but my buddies and I cut into the woods to 200yards. Both ranges have a some benches and shelter. And we also climbed the hill behind the range and put up two 12inch steel dingers at 625 yards!!! There will be more steel on the hill this winter at various distances. They have IDPA monthly and some other competitions.

I'd be happy to hook up anyone for a tour.

The Hobbs Island range that was mentioned was most likely Shootrite Firearms Academy which was about 5.6 miles east of 231 on Hobbs Island Road. Tiger has since moved his operation to the Guntersville area (Langston, AL) and is presently teaching classes there.

The Arab range is in a rock quarry and I believe it is also private. I have shot IDPA there and I am quite sure they do 3-gun matches as well.

Is the range still located on the Glasscock property on 6-Mile Rd near Florette?

I would like to meet with you sometime for the "Grand Tour"  

Rick

Rick
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#20]
That's the spot! I rarely run into anybody out there. During warmer weather there's an older gent and his wife who come out to shoot their 22 almost daily in the afternoon. The only downside to this range is (for me) its 20+ minutes from Decatur, and the range itself faces west (lot of glare in the late afternoon just before sunset).

If you know the way, and are in the area, the combo on the lock gate is 4509 at present. It will be changing soon. Fairly often, my friends and I shoot on Wednesday afternoons, although this Wed. I'm going to see a man about a suppressor .

IM, or better yet email, and we can set something up in the next couple of weeks.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm interested. Would really like to come along.

rk
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm interested. Would really like to come along.

rk

I had a feeling you would like to check on this range as well.  It sounds good to me as I can be there in around 20 minutes or so.  I've also passed this information on to another guy I sometimes shoot with that lives in Madison.

Rick
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd Like  to join the Hartselle Gun Club as well. Please let me know where to send my annual fee.

GhostCat
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Devestating news, gentlemen. I have contacted several of you via email in regard to viewing the Hartselle Gun Club. I spoke with a board member today and he told me that membership was 'closed' as of the last board meeting!!! Apparently in order to qualify for the small club liability insurance they are supposed to have 70 members or less. Apparently, there are now around 100 members, as well as some, pretty severe tresspassing/non-member-use issues that prompted them to 'close the membership.'

This sucks!! On a variety of levels. And I apologize for not checking before I offered to take you guys out there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Well that does suck, but I understand.  Please let us know if any change occurs to the club policy.

Thanks for your effort.

Rick
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#26]

If I built a range in Cullman or Hayden (or maybe even Vinemont), would any of you come?

I'm being serious.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the defining parameters would be travel time and amenities (like long range shooting) for me. I think Cullman would be to far for me. Hartselle side of Vinemont might be do-able.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Absolutely!!!!!!........We need a range here in Cullman....I mean, we have one but they charge TOO MUCH!!!!!!!.......Cullman has MANY gun owners who love to shoot. If you built a range here in Cullman, it would be VERY successful......Vinemont would even be better....then you would get folks from Decatur and even huntsville.

GhostCat
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If I built a range in Cullman or Hayden (or maybe even Vinemont), would any of you come?

I'm being serious.

Hayden is doubtful except for "on Occasion".  Cullman or Vinemont, you bet your booty,  especially if the price is right,,,,heck, I'll even help you build it.  Bet some others would help as well.  

2 things I will insist upon.  Benches & cover.  I'm getting lazy in my old age and I like to stay as cool as possible:)  

Rick
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#30]

The wife will be out of school this summer and there is a possibility that she might be teaching in Hayden.  The long-term reason I got my bachelor's in finance is to eventually open some kind of 'business', gun shop, range, whatever, and depending on how things play out will determine the timeliness of such.

We have an acre in Cullman, and just got access to probably one or two acres out of 36 that the family just acquired in Hayden.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Go for it........I'll support you any way I can...

GhostCat
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#32]
any one know any thing about that blue and gray shooting club here in the madison area.

do they have a pistol and rifle range?

what are the member ship dues and stuff like?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
any one know any thing about that blue and gray shooting club here in the madison area.

do they have a pistol and rifle range?

what are the member ship dues and stuff like?

Blue and Gray Rifle and Pistol Club is out near the Guntersville Dam off of Hwy 431 about 20 miles SE of Huntsville.  I used to have a link to the club, but don't any longer.  

They have a 25/50 yard pistol and .22 range and 100 and 200 rifle ranges.

Typically, High Power Matches are the first Saturday of the month and that is when I would go to find out about the club.  Can't remember any officer's name so I can't help you there.  I stopped my membership when I moved from Owens Cross Roads (about 10 minutes from there) to Madison (about an hour).

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Etowah County has a nice free public range.  Covered shooting benches.  25, 50,100, and maybe 200 yard ranges.  Each range is seperated from the others, and there is a place to shoot skeet.  It is located off of Owls Hollow Rd..  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#35]
There is a small range in New Market Alabama at sharron Johnston Park.  That's about as North Alabama as your gonna get.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There is a small range in New Market Alabama at sharron Johnston Park.  That's about as North Alabama as your gonna get.

Yep, that's right, I forgot about that one.  As I recall, no rifle ranges, though.  Pistol and shotgun only.  

There's also one in the Skyline Wildlife Management area north of Scottsboro near Skyline.  I've never been there.  It's about as far north as you can go in Alabama, too.

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Hope this helps,

Rick

The range off Highway 33 (Bankhead) is about 50 yards.  I grew-up about twenty miles from there if anyone wants to know why I'm posting this.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I’m in South Huntsville. Swan Creek is a pretty long dang drive. It used to not bother me that much but now I hate to put any more wear on my old car than necessary.

Besides, (At least the last time I was there, and it’s been a few years.) they would only let you shoot at paper targets. I know the place got pretty messed up from all the trash before they made that rule, but I like shooting coke bottles filled with water and such. (BTW, I always packed my trash out.)

Anyway, it would be nice if something was a little closer that I would be able to access. A good range in Cullman might be well worth checking out but would still be too far for regular use, Hayden would probably draw a lot of people from Birmingham but would be way too far for me.

I wonder how much it would cost to buy (or lease) some land near the river (in a floodzone so it should be cheap with no one living nearby), build a dirt bank, and get registered as a range?

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I wonder how much it would cost to buy (or lease) some land near the river (in a floodzone so it should be cheap with no one living nearby), build a dirt bank, and get registered as a range?

I don't know how much it costs, but I know where you can see two ranges just like that:

- Hwy 72 East just past CR500 and the Paint Rock River bridge, it's on the right side down in the river flood area.

- Hwy 72 East right around South Pittsburgh, same side (right side as you go east) except this one has a covered bench area and the range appears to go out to 500 yards or so.

Both are single or two bench ranges, but still, it works for someone.

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:05:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps,

Rick

The range off Highway 33 (Bankhead) is about 50 yards.  I grew-up about twenty miles from there if anyone wants to know why I'm posting this.  

Has it been a long time since you've been to bankhead?  It now goes out to 100 yards, at least it did the last time I was there.

Rick
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps,

Rick

Has it been a long time since you've been to bankhead?  It now goes out to 100 yards, at least it did the last time I was there.

Rick

Same here, 100 yards, but it's been 5 years since I've been there.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top