Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2005 5:39:47 PM EDT
How would somebody go about getting into state politics without being a millionaire??? Serious question...
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Start small. House of Reps. Local office.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I would love to run for the State House but, I don't have anywhere near enough financial backing for ads or even to get my name out.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]
i'd vote for you.  And Condi too
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Sign up. Then start by visiting local civic groups with your platform. Go door to door. Find out who does not support current one and ask for their monetary help. When elected, stay honest. Both can be done if you want it hard enough.

Remember, 75% of people don't even know who their rep is.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would love to run for the State House but, I don't have anywhere near enough financial backing for ads or even to get my name out.

I had a neighbor that was elected to the state house many years ago on a very limited budget.  He spent most of his campaigning time standing on top of an old American Motors Pacer in the median of Hwy 31 waving at folks,,,,,,,no joke & he won hands down, & wound up serving for several terms.  His name is Paul Parker and his wife was elected several years ago as the state auditor.  She lost out on a bid to oust Sen. Jeff Sessions during the last election.  

It can be done on a very limited budget, and Paul might just be a good man to speak to about that very thing.

Rick
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sign up. Then start by visiting local civic groups with your platform. Go door to door. Find out who does not support current one and ask for their monetary help. When elected, stay honest. Both can be done if you want it hard enough.

Remember, 75% of people don't even know who their rep is.

How would I go about signing up? I have been searching the net, but I am coming up empty. Just a bunch of news articles about people running.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Contact you local party or the Secretary of State
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How would somebody go about getting into state politics without being a millionaire??? Serious question...

Are you involved at all with either party at the state or local level?  It helps a lot as far as getting your foot in the door in most parts of the state.

Be prepared for serious disillusionment/disappointment, the more involved you get...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top